Downtown Kansas City Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCListener

I wanted to get a thread starting for people that have been monitoring Downtown KCMO frequencies including but not limited to KCMO Police and Fire, Sprint Center, Downtown Security Patrol, etc.

A little background info where Im coming from:
I just bought a pro-197 from Radio Shack. Im monitoring from a 10th story loft apt on Grand Blvd, a few blocks north of Sprint Center and a few blocks west of the KCPD building on Locust. I currently pick up KCMO pretty well using the frequencies and TGs in the RR database. Im using the 800mhz Radio Shack antenna and it does a pretty good job of monitoring the KCMO Edacs system.

I currently monitor the KCMO system, I pick up the Central and Metro patrols pretty well, and the East comes in a little scratchy but not bad overall. I am using a wildcard to try to pickup any extra frequencies in the KCMO trunk. Traffic comes in pretty well during the afternoons and evenings as well.

I have a few questions about how KCMO PD handles their communications. I can currently look outside and see about 15 police running traffic and patrol in front of the Power and Light and Sprint Center for the Ozzy Ozbourne concert that just let out. I cant hear any of their transmissions on the Central talkgroup or anywhere else for that matter. I would think that there would be communications as they dont have laptops or anything and its a busy Saturday Night. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I also heard them say that they would be using the 190 numbers for the Power and Light Patrol. I wonder if they are using an encrypted talkgroup or private groups of some type?

Overall, I figured Id be hearing a lot more downtown related talk then I am. Id love to get a conversation started about what other listeners are hearing and functional talkgroups.

Thanks a lot and Happy Scanning!!

kctek

I work Downtown and have been monitoring KCMO and other freq's for 10+ years on a p95. I usually monitor Central, East and Fire but sometimes add Metro in for some entertainment. Since I mostly work days only I dont get a chance to monitor any nightly acticivities.

I have also noticed at certin events I cannot pick up their transmissions. I am also curious if they are already moving to the new system? If so it time for a new scanner.

Duke106

I have posted a live feed of KCFD and KCPD. It's under live audio missouri jackson county. Right now it says KCFD but Police have been added and I have requested a name change. I listen to it with my phone where ever I am. New antenna coming soon that should make it even better. Active duty KCFD and want to keep up when away.

mgolden2

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just found this website and it says that the Power and Light district radios are "unmonitorable" because they are exclusivly MotoTrbo

http://www.mokanscan.net/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=143&Itemid=177

That probably explains why you dont hear them specifically

Hope this helps

KCListener

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just found this website and it says that the Power and Light district radios are "unmonitorable" because they are exclusivly MotoTrbo

MOKANSCAN | Private Business Frequencies (Missouri)

That probably explains why you dont hear them specifically

Hope this helps

Yeah I saw this. I was hoping to hear more of the off-duty police talk rather than their ops channels.

Has anyone had any luck monitoring sprint center or the CID patrol? I can walk outside and see a ton of CID employees communicating via radio. Id imagine they have some pretty entertaining conversation considering all the characters there are down there. Same with Sprint Center. Im sure there has to be some talk considering all the concert prep.

kctek

I just found this thread myself. I am a little confused, I have also been monitoring KCPD during events held downtown and see plenty of KCPD officers using their radios but I am unable to catch any transmissions. It was mentioned P&L have MotoTrbo radios but does that have anything to do with KCPD?

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
From what I know all off duty officers carry a KCMO PD radio. They are on their zone channels. Off duty radio assignments are in the nineties (e.g. 190, 290, 390...) They used to open a Spec Ops talk group on busy nights in Westport. Talk group #5. If its a big event then they are probably on a Spec Ops channel. Otherwise they are on the regular zone channels or traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.