• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Dp4401 programming for Ham DMR repeater

adsbgreenock

Hi guys,

I have Motorola CPS 16 and 2.0 and a Motorola DP4401 radio I am trying to program for my local ham DMR repeater.

I am having troubles doing what I thought would be straight forward programing.

I've entered my dmr radio ID, all the contacts (TGs) and placed them all into and rx group list.

Then I entered the rx and rx frequencies and colour code on each slot and assigned a talkgroup to each as well as the rx group list.

I cant key up or open the repeater and I haven't a clue what I'm doing wrong.

Can anyone shed some light or maybe the radio can't be setup for Ham use?

Any help or pointers would be appreciated

Thank you in advance

Rab Scotland UK

adsbgreenock

Sounds like you did it right. You don't need a rx group, but doesn't hurt to have one.

Are you sure the repeater is operational?
Hi Alcahuete,

Yes the repeater is operational as I'm watching it on dsdplus fastlane and see other people opening it.
As its a 70cm repeater I'm thinking maybe the terrain is affecting transmission but the actual site is only 3 miles away from my qth.

I'll have another tinker around. Just wasn't sure if this radio was compatable.

Thanks for responding

Regards

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Are you actually able to receive the repeater on your radio though? You should still see the light and signal bar. Heck, you could even program the frequency in as analog and at least hear the digital noise when somebody keys up the repeater. At least then, you could rule out potential range vs. programming issues.

adsbgreenock

Are you actually able to receive the repeater on your radio though? You should still see the light and signal bar. Heck, you could even program the frequency in as analog and at least hear the digital noise when somebody keys up the repeater. At least then, you could rule out potential range vs. programming issues.
Now that you say that.. The output frequency on site is :

Output frequency: 430.9500 MHz
RX Frequency: 438.5500 MHz
Colour Code 3

When I enter this into CPS
I put 438.550 into RX
Then 430.950 into TX

I have ALWAYS permit activated so the radio doesn't get confused and think repeater is in use

Monitoring DSDPLUS I key up and on screen it shows my DMR ID along with
"Repeater outbound activation req"

I tried the frequencies the other way round and I can only hear people talk when I press the PTT, oddly.

It's something small I'm missing but in short yes I can hear conversations through the HT.

Regards

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I think you might have it backward. Just depends on how it is written on the website. Are they giving you the repeater's TX and RX frequencies, or the ones that you should use? If the repeater transmits on 430.950, you should have that as your RX.

adsbgreenock

I think you might have it backward. Just depends on how it is written on the website. Are they giving you the repeater's TX and RX frequencies, or the ones that you should use? If the repeater transmits on 430.950, you should have that as your RX.
OK, gotcha... I think that is exactly whats wrong.

That's the way its written on the keepers site.

When I key the PTT down now the radio just makes a loud droning beep the whole time the PTT is pressed.
I'm going to bin this I think and go back to the anytone lol  .

Not sure if I've missed anything in here.
IMG_20230423_042554.jpg

Thanks again

Kind Regards

Rab

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
OK, gotcha... I think that is exactly whats wrong.

That's the way its written on the keepers site.

When I key the PTT down now the radio just makes a loud droning beep the whole time the PTT is pressed.
I'm going to bin this I think and go back to the anytone lol  .

Not sure if I've missed anything in here.
View attachment 140578

Thanks again

Kind Regards

Rab

If you're using an Anytone on that same repeater, the settings should be darn near identical in the Moto. Everything in that pic looks right, assuming the frequencies are in the right order.

Again, the way to really do it is to program it as an analog channel. If you're hearing the DMR noise when you see the repeater keying up on the dashboard, you have the frequencies right.

hp8920

The other thing I see is the repeater is a mixed analog/digital repeater. First, make sure people aren't using it on analog at the moment. Along with what alachuete says, you also want to set up a proper FM channel to see if you can get in that way.

For these multimode repeaters, you may have to spam PTT a few times in a row after getting bonked to get in. Motorola, like Hytera, sends two DMR wake-up messages then gives up by default. Anytone does 4. The longer messages increase the chance of the repeater switching to the right mode. There's a setting for this somewhere in the CPS.

adsbgreenock

OK guys, I got it working. The problem was range.
Damn, I'm only three miles away using the stock moto uhf antenna outside in the garden. There are some hills.

As soon as I did what alcahuete said, sorted the output freq and plugged the Colinear into the HT I was in..

Thanks for the replies

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: