DPD officer dies due to injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstockmyer

Denver Police Officer Robert Wilson passed away on Saturday after being hospitalized for more than 5 months.

Wilson was in a motorcycle accident on December 23, 2005 while on his way home from the police station where he worked.

Wilson was a highly decorated officer and a retired veteran of the United States Air Force. He was the recipient of more than eight official commendations, two distinguished-service crosses and one medal of valor.

Wilson's funeral is scheduled for Thursday at 11 a.m. at the Denver First Church of the Nazarene. Wilson will be laid to rest at Fort Logan National Cemetery.

Wilson leaves behind his wife and three sons.

Another one of Denver Pd's finest, pays the highest price.
God speed sir.

I got this from the denverchannel.com

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Without knowing this officer personally I will say 2 DSCs and a Medal of Valor not to mention his Service with DPD should get all of our respect and admiration.

Thank you for your service Sir.

cstockmyer

DENVER - A man charged with leaving the scene of a drunken driving accident that led to a police officer's death now faces two counts of vehicular homicide.

Joseph Santillanes, 42, is already charged with vehicular assault, drunken driving, and a hit and run, for an accident on December 23, 2005, that critically injured off duty officer Robert Wilson.

Wilson died from his injuries Saturday. He was laid to rest Thursday with an official police burial, as his family looked on.

"He was the best," said Freida Wilson, Robert's widow.

Wilson says she doesn't carry anger nearly six months after the wreck, but she still wonders why Santillanes was behind the wheel that night.

"He had three DUI's, no license, why was he out driving," said Wilson.

Wilson is calling for tougher standards in the courts, saying her husband repeatedly arrested intoxicated drivers, only to see them released a few days later.

"So many people drink and drive and ruin lives," said Wilson.

Lives now changed forever for a widow and three sons.

One of them, 22-year-old Richard Wilson, sees the consequences daily at his college job.

"I'm a bartender in Durango and I see it every day. It changes how you think, what's important and what isn't" said Richard Wilson.

"When one person makes a selfish mistake, which I believe could've been prevented, it creates a whole new monster people have to deal with," he said.

Wilson's three sons drove back and forth from their college towns to check on their father as he lay in a hospital bed with critical injuries.

"Part of me feels I haven't been down enough, just a feeling of helplessness for not only my Dad, but my family," said Johnny Wilson.

Officer Wilson served 12 years at the Denver Police Department.

Denver Police Chief Gerry Whitman nominated Wilson for consideration for the Presidential Medal of Valor.

Wilson also served time in both Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm as a member of the United States Air Force.

I got the above story from 9news.com. I hate to say it, but 2 counts of vehicular homicide seems to light to me. He did not learn from 3 DUI's, and with jail over crowding he won't serve much time. I am glad DPD and the city stepped up and gave this hero the send off he deserves.

RISC777

Well, he should face . . . ________________________________________________.
[fill in with your verdict of choice]

Status
Not open for further replies.