DPD PIO misinformation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceWeb

Kind of strange and hard to imagine that it was just a comm. breakdown. I think they needed to stall it for some reason? I do not know.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I can see an instance where they may be in the midst of an active investigation, and the media knows something is going on that may give them a reason to spread some misinformation. At least until they get a better handle on what is going on...

CRfan1

Premium Subscriber
Well criminals look toward the news as a way to work on not being caught. Just think... If you were a robber and made an a escape you could look toward the news as a way to plan around the police like avoiding the perimiter. But in this case the pio couldve givin the miss info just in case the suspect party was watching the news so that the investigation and apprehension could be more accurate and quick.

rfburns

If you were a robber and made an a escape you could look toward the news as a way to plan around the police like avoiding the perimiter.
The bad guys aren't that smart. Almost all perimeters are set too small (too close in) to be effective anyway.

rfburns

that may give them a reason to spread some misinformation.
I don't think Denver PD belongs to ESPIOC anymore (thou the DA's Office does). The 3 pillars of the ESPIOC are honesty, integrity and cooperation. It's not a good idea to mislead the media. It will bite you almost everytime and your agency loses the media's trust. A PIO is better off just keeping their mouth shut rather than trying to mislead.
Welcome to ESPIOC

Warbirdhunter

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

What a Police departmet withholding information?!?! Oh the humanity :evil: Come on guys, this happens all the time. 7 news just needed a "cops suck" story

kc0kp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

What a Police departmet withholding information?!?! Oh the humanity :evil: Come on guys, this happens all the time. 7 news just needed a "cops suck" story

Withholding information is one thing. Prevarication is totally different. That crosses the line.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
But in this case the pio couldve givin the miss info just in case the suspect party was watching the news so that the investigation and apprehension could be more accurate and quick.

You think the guy that committed the crime thought the only thing he did was drop a thermometer off the wall? And that the police wouldn't notice all that damage? That really doesn't make sense...

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Fire Department PIOs would not talk about crime scenes or anything related to criminal investigations... That's why incident command centers have multiple PIOs.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Or larger incidents have a JIC Joint Information Center. With PIO's from multiple agencies.

Jim<

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Exactly. If I'm the Police PIO and someone asks about how many fire trucks are on the scene - I'm sure I know that, but I hand the question over to the Fire PIO.

Take a look at the free ICS classes at FEMA online for more info on how PIOs are utilized.

Status
Not open for further replies.