DPS cars with new low profile ant

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd5y

Recently I noticed all the DPS vehicles around here now have new a low profile antenna on the right rear of the roof.
They are black and the kind that are about 1.5" diameter and about 4" long. Does anybody know what those are for?

Last edited:

DPS8504

nd5y said:
Recently I noticed all the DPS vehicles around here now have new a low profile antenna on the right rear of the roof.
They are black and the kind that are about 1.5" diameter and about 4" long. Does anybody know what those are for?
It is our in car CAD system. it is a direct copy of what we have in the radio rooms, but now it is being put out into the cars.

nd5y

How does it work?
Does it use a cellular type modem on a commercial service that works anywhere or is it something like 802.11 that needs to be near a hot spot?

txshooter

Antenna Not for Cad

I am pretty sure that is not for CAD, on our new vehicles we now have the same antenna, it is used for a new body mic to connect to the in car camera system. The new mics are no longer on the VHF band.

bpckty1

If DPS8504 is with the DPS, I'd go with what he says. It's a plausible explanation.
The only other explanation one would be that it is a handle to help when pushing the car when it breaks down.
;^>

SCPD

QRT
Mike, go to ANTENEX website, www.antenex.com and you'll see what they are. DPS 1301 out of Lamar Co. has one of those SWEET MDC's. he's running traffic from very Rural Fannin/Lamar County areas with no issues, Guess its gonna be a top secret thing. However, DPS has a License for Collin Co. 173.0750 or the like which Has a Data sound to it.

Also, one of you TEXAS ADMINS need to fix the Glitch on the Texas Map for HILL county in the Database, when you Click HILL COUNTY it pulls up HEMPHILL COUNTY. Just on the Flash Map.

Last edited:

txshooter

bpckty1 said:
If DPS8504 is with the DPS, I'd go with what he says. It's a plausible explanation.
The only other explanation one would be that it is a handle to help when pushing the car when it breaks down.
;^>

Just telling you what we are using the same antennas on our new cars for. We have gone away from using the in car camera mics with the old quarter wave VHF antennas. Notice the quarter wave VHF antenna that was used for this purpose is most likely missing.:cool:

I

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
nd5y said:

I heard that the DPS will use laptops in their vehicle by the way of Cell and the black antenna is a cell type antenna.

DPS8504

txshooter said:
I am pretty sure that is not for CAD, on our new vehicles we now have the same antenna, it is used for a new body mic to connect to the in car camera system. The new mics are no longer on the VHF band.
Those are 800 Mhz antenna's for use with the CAD. The laptops are Pansonic Toughbooks
and the CAD is a copy of what we have in the radio room, and GPS connected to our mapping system so we can see where the units are and which Comm station server they are logged into. NO it is not for body mics.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
MaxTracker said:
...Also, one of you TEXAS ADMINS need to fix the Glitch on the Texas Map for HILL county in the Database, when you Click HILL COUNTY it pulls up HEMPHILL COUNTY. Just on the Flash Map.
The flash map and the clicking on it are third party software, we (and Lindsay) have no control over it. Lindsay was working with the vendor last I heard.

SCPD

QRT
Toughbook's ROCK! ok Lou, wasn't sure if anyone knew bout it, Neither County has much in it (LOL)

Oh, FYI, the new TELEX Camera/Mic systems (which almost every is using) have the Antenna built into the Camera. Thus no Exterior antenna is used. Unlike the older systems. TELEX also operate 2.4 to 5.3GHz. Digital Spread Spectrum which is virtually NOT scannable. If I am not mistaken (correct me if necessary 8504) DPS use simular Camera systems.

Last edited:

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
DPS8504 said:
Those are 800 Mhz antenna's for use with the CAD. The laptops are Pansonic Toughbooks
and the CAD is a copy of what we have in the radio room, and GPS connected to our mapping system so we can see where the units are and which Comm station server they are logged into. NO it is not for body mics.

They are indeed 800 Mhz antenna's, but will they be using AirCards? I can not imagine the DPS would use another tech. other then Cell AirCard since they use such a wide geographic area.

DPS8504, will you please give more detail on the CAD system? Will the Troopers be able to run 10-28s and 10-29s on the laptops?

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Anybody got a picture of the antenna? Is it an Air Card? Who is the carrier?

Thanks,
Russell

nd5y

Last edited:

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Excellent find ND5Y, I also like the line item for Real ID that will cost Texans $267 Million over 2008 and 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.