DPS changes in N TX

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Not surprised. DPS seems to think they are the be all end all and nothing legal applies to them. Nice to see the FCC remind them that they cant just do what they want without going through the proper steps.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
I would have thought that kind of stuff would have gone away after the abrupt departure of someone awhile back..but guess not.
Makes me want to go back and read a certain email that I was involved in where FCC slapped their hands

Stephen

Yes the FCC really showed them. :rolleyes: I'm not sure how most an administrative oversight, distinguishes an agency thinking laws do not apply. It's a application to add a couple frequencies from the thousands the agency overseas.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Yes the FCC really showed them. :rolleyes: I'm not sure how most an administrative oversight, distinguishes an agency thinking laws do not apply. It's a application to add a couple frequencies from the thousands the agency overseas.

Come be a vendor for them and a resident of TX and you will change your tune. You would be ripping your thin blue line flag off of your car if you dealt with them.

The attitude of "We ARE the law and we do what we want" with them gets old fast.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
Not to mention the fact that DPS thinks they own all the I/O frequencies...
esp. 154.950. 155.370.....
never mind that most Counties have been licensed on those since 1845 (thats a joke for those that cant see one)....Fcc said "existing use of frequency in a particular jurisdiction would consider the local license to be primary and others either abide to that or dont use the frequency"
154.850 is still car to car as always many locales.

nd5y

Not to mention the fact that DPS thinks they own all the I/O frequencies...
They do to some extent. The federal government required all states to create state interoperability executive committees and the SIECs have control over the interoperability channels.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
To some extent. But they are not god of I/O frequencies as per fcc opinion stated above.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
Look at the emission codes on those licenses vs the old licenses. I wonder if they are dropping analog altogether. During a pursuit a year or so ago DPS 101 was telling ground units it was "illegal" for DPS to use analog on their channels.

nd5y

Look at the emission codes on those licenses vs the old licenses. I wonder if they are dropping analog altogether.
11K2F3E is analog NFM. All the licenses I have looked at recently still have it.
The mobile radios are obviously capable of it because they use it on county frequencies, etc., that are still analog.
I have no idea if the base stations and repeaters have analog disabled. I haven't heard any in about 10 years or longer.
During a pursuit a year or so ago DPS 101 was telling ground units it was "illegal" for DPS to use analog on their channels.
Don't automatically believe everything you hear on the radio.

Stephen

Come be a vendor for them and a resident of TX and you will change your tune. You would be ripping your thin blue line flag off of your car if you dealt with them.

The attitude of "We ARE the law and we do what we want" with them gets old fast.
I lived in Texas until January 2022. I worked with Texas DPS often including their communications shops and never had any issues.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
Don't automatically believe everything you hear on the radio.
It was DPS 101 telling a non dps ground unit who was asking DPS to go to analog on a DPS frequency. While DPS are cross emitted (Analog & Digital) I guess the county unit thought he could talk to them that way. Yes, DPS can talk analog on podunk counties radios but he was saying it was illegal for DPS to use analog on DPS licenses.

DPS 101 will often simulcast several counties and cities with whatever DPS repeater is in use during a pursuit, I'd think they would know what they were talking about and I think I'd trust them over some broke down scanner wannabe guru ...

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
It was DPS 101 telling a non dps ground unit who was asking DPS to go to analog on a DPS frequency. While DPS are cross emitted (Analog & Digital) I guess the county unit thought he could talk to them that way. Yes, DPS can talk analog on podunk counties radios but he was saying it was illegal for DPS to use analog on DPS licenses.

DPS 101 will often simulcast several counties and cities with whatever DPS repeater is in use during a pursuit, I'd think they would know what they were talking about and I think I'd trust them over some broke down scanner wannabe guru ...
Was the last part really necessary?