DPS Del Rio now dispatching over GATRRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5ypj

I noticed since last night Del Rio DPS is dispatching their traffic over GATRRS using TGID 3734. Anyone know anything about the apparent change?

I don't monitor the DPS freqs here because it's usually 1 sided communications, I don't hear the mobiles unless they are in town.

rwier

I noticed since last night Del Rio DPS is dispatching their traffic over GATRRS using TGID 3734. Anyone know anything about the apparent change?

I don't monitor the DPS freqs here because it's usually 1 sided communications, I don't hear the mobiles unless they are in town.

No knowledge relative to your question, but thanks for a flashback to a very old memory. The summer of '53, messing (trying) with a crystal set, some nights the only clear distant sound was from Del Rio, Texas. It was an AM radio station and I bet they had a very large/high antenna.

n5ypj

No knowledge relative to your question, but thanks for a flashback to a very old memory. The summer of '53, messing (trying) with a crystal set, some nights the only clear distant sound was from Del Rio, Texas. It was an AM radio station and I bet they had a very large/high antenna.

XERF. It's still there but now thankfully for us hams they only run about 20 - 25 KW instead of 250,000 or higher. The old high power equipment was said to be specialty equipment that was hard to keep running. Then the changing times and technology. According to one of the owners the flood of 1998 really set them back in question of power ruining a lot of higher powered gear.

Take care.

n5ypj

As far as I can tell it is not multicast.

My scanner antenna setup is very limited because of proximity to the site here and is too limited to pick up other sites in the region because of their distance 30+ miles.

n5ypj

Update.

I had spare time to spend on radio. It seems that DPS Del Rio is currently dispatching on both the DPS system and the GATRRS system TGID 3734.

From what I can tell GATRRS here has far better coverage than DPS does and in the past they have gone through the sheriff office when out of range on their system.

Anybody have anything to add?

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
This is common for DPS throughout the state. The dispatcher will key multiple VHF bases/repeaters and associated trunk talkgroups at once (console multiselect) but the mobiles will only come across whatever VHF channel or trunk talkgroup they have selected. Austin and Houston operate the same way. I'm sure El Paso does as well but everything on the trunk side is encrypted. In San Antonio the arrangement is the same, only they use separate radios on the SA/BC EDACS systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.