DPS deployment to Austin

Wes

Premium Subscriber
DPS is sending extra troopers as well as CID agents and aircraft here to Austin due to the increasing crime and traffic issues.. Are they operating off of the standard DPS VHF and talkgroups on GATRRS? Or should I look/listen for anything special?

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
It is entirely possible that they may directly use the Adam through Ida APD talkgroups since their radios have access. They may also use new or existing DPS talkgroups patched to an APD talkgroup (likely an event talkgroup if this ends up being the case) as well. They used talkgroups on another system cross-patched to a DPD event frequency in Dallas when they brought in the TxDPS violent crime task force a few years back.

Either way, I'd be on the lookout for unit ID's in the 5XXXXXX range, as those are what TXDPS radios use.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Is the APD George (Downtown) talkgroup (986) now deprecated? I haven't been down to Austin in some time and noticed it isn't on BCFY Calls?

W5ATX

Premium Subscriber
not sure why there are no recordings, George is still active.

cferguson4809

Their traffic has gotten a lot more busy with this task force. I’ve also been hearing a lot of new call signs I’ve never heard before. I’ve always heard the 6BXXX and 7BXXX, but today I was hearing 6AXXX and 6CXXX. Anyone know if there’s any significance in the A vs B vs C?

KTR722

Feed Provider
Is the APD George (Downtown) talkgroup (986) now deprecated? I haven't been down to Austin in some time and noticed it isn't on BCFY Calls?
At the moment:
AT AP GEO (TGID 986) is currently patched into D1 AT OP 01 (TGID 5291).
also...
AT AP DVD (TGID 978) is currently patched into D1 AT OP 27 (TGID 5291).

You can hear them here currently:

Not sure if this is a Feature or a Bug with Calls or SDRTrunk, but if a talkgroup gets patched, only one recording is sent to Calls (with both talkgroups identified in the Metadata), and Calls appears to "pick one" and use it. Cannot confirm, but it appears from Pro96Com that you can see patches are "directional", and which talkgroup the "arrow" points to, that is the one that Calls chooses.

Example: Added Patch: 986 (AT AP GEO) --> 5291 (D1 AT OP O1)

Case in point is that D1 AT OP 12 (TGID 5302) has been patching (up and down, not patched currently) into AT AP BKR (TGID 973), but that patch is going the other direction for the past 12+ hours, so if you are listening to TGID 973, you will not notice the patch.

I have noticed the same behavior with Austin FD FCOM N/S and FCOM E/W; these are patched constantly, but you will only see the traffic on one of the TGs on Calls.

KTR722

Feed Provider
Their traffic has gotten a lot more busy with this task force. I’ve also been hearing a lot of new call signs I’ve never heard before. I’ve always heard the 6BXXX and 7BXXX, but today I was hearing 6AXXX and 6CXXX. Anyone know if there’s any significance in the A vs B vs C?
DPS 6Axxx are units assisting from Waco District 6A and 6Cxxx are San Antonio District 6C.

If you want to see all the districts, go here:

KTR722

Feed Provider
Just looked at one of my recordings for George, here is the metadata being sent to Calls:

P:5291 [986]"D1 AT OP 01","AT AP GEO"
Artist: 10637946 AT AP MP10 PORT AP7946

Album: TRAFFIC
Time: 0:01

Looks to confirm my observation that SDRTrunk only sends a single voice packet/file to Calls, with the patch information included. Calls appears to only associate the voice packet/file to the primary TG identified in the metadata.

Last edited:

W5ATX

Premium Subscriber
yeah they've been patched for a while now, not sure why. weird that it randomly picks one, that explains it. If i listen to grge for more than a few minutes on a busy night i'll start having PTSD flashbacks lol.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
What is this world conning too. I will leave it at that.