DPS-HPD to AzWINS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
True on the detectives already using the system, and there are plenty of TAC operations (encrypted of course) happening, but as far as patrol units switching, it hasn't happened and I am wondering when it will as well. But imagine the challenge of that big of an agency switching from UHF to 700 MHz...I wouldn't be surprised if it takes another year or two. That's a LOT of equipment to change out, over the entire state.

p19997

Premium Subscriber
Not only that, but they will probably need to add many more repeaters because digital is not as forgiving as analog. Many stretches of highway are in canyons and out of sight of repeater sites or in areas with poor reception. To get an idea of what it might take for mountainous areas, take a look at Colorado's statewide system. This all means really big bucks.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
digital is not as forgiving as analog. Many stretches of highway are in canyons and out of sight of repeater sites or in areas with poor reception.

True. Take the CHP’s antiquated low band VHF system... you can say what you want, but to match the coverage with a digital (trunked) UHF system would be a major undertaking at the taxpayers’ expense. Not that the people who run California care about squandering the peoples’ money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foresigt

A number of years ago the then DPS Emcomm guy told me that they would have to increase their repeater sites to 5 time the number they have now to provide the same cover they have on UHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.