DPS Installing New Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
That radio looks more like my air conditioner and my backup camera in my car all in one. Guess we need to start looking for more 700 MHz control frequencies. The radio will only do 700 MHz or 800 mhz.

medic9351301

Banned
guys according to the sheet its dualband at my latest check there were no new 700 mhz freqs pending for the state. but this is alabama by the time the get any the radio will be outdated.

trumpetman

Database Admin
You can get an APX6500 in that configuration as well that supports single band operation. APX7500 is dual band, APX6500 is single band, both support the above pictured O9 control head. Keep in mind that 700 AND 800 MHz are considered a single-band split in these terms.

firemedic2150

Database Admin
medic9351301 your data sheet is older and missing some newer heads, but I think you are right the APX6500 will only support the 02,03,05,and 07 heads and not the 09

mk262

Premium Subscriber
guys according to the sheet its dualband at my latest check there were no new 700 mhz freqs pending for the state. but this is alabama by the time the get any the radio will be outdated.

If I'm not mistaken every state got a batch of 700mhz spectrum a while back. There won't necessarily be any licenses pop up for it.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
That radio looks more like my air conditioner and my backup camera in my car all in one. Guess we need to start looking for more 700 MHz control frequencies. The radio will only do 700 MHz or 800 mhz.

IF it is an APX7500, it can do any two band combinations of: VHF-Hi, UHF-Lo, UHF-Hi, 7/800MHz(as mentioned, Motorola treats 7/800MHz as one band)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

garys

Premium Subscriber
If I'm not mistaken every state got a batch of 700mhz spectrum a while back. There won't necessarily be any licenses pop up for it.

It still has to be licensed with location data, frequencies per site, power output, etc...

N8IAA

How come no one has speculated that they are possibly going digital on their VHF frequencies, and need a radio that will be capable with the new Phase II system being built?
Something to actually consider.
Larry

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
And another clue to look for, the HT's. Are they packing APX-6000's, 7000's? These APX's are awesome dual band multi mode radios. You can program multiple systems in differring bands into them. Say you need VHF High band in Analog NFM, P25 Conventional, and have an State P25 TRS in 700/800 coming online, as well as need to operate on various "local" TRS's in the 700/800 band.... This is the radio series you want. Analog Narrow, P25 Conventional, P25 Phase I, and II capable, and dual band operations. Actually the only thing better would be an Thales Liberty lol.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Is there any information that the state is building a new digital VHF conventional system? I'd think that if anything, they'd be building out the digital 700 trunk system and keeping the VHF analog system running until the new system is built. Which could well be several years depending on funding. Or the 700 system could be only for urban areas and the VHF system will be used in more rural areas.

How come no one has speculated that they are possibly going digital on their VHF frequencies, and need a radio that will be capable with the new Phase II system being built?
Something to actually consider.
Larry

RadShackFan

More Information

I talked with my Trooper friend again. He told me that the radios are VHF & 700mhz. They will be on the First Responder P25 Network once all the vehicles are equipped with the new radios. They will keep the VHF capability so they can talk with smaller towns and counties that will not be on the Responder Network.. They will also need the VHF side to work disasters. He did not know how long this will take, but it is suppose to be sometime this year (so he's been told). They also kept the same in-car repeater so, for right now, the handhelds will not change. I have noticed more of their Tahoes with the short, black phantom type antenna on the very rear of the roof just above the third brake light.

I hope they are not encrypted, but looking at the talk group listing in the database most LE are.

garys

Premium Subscriber
That's interesting since the system is really built out statewide yet. At least not according to the RRDB.

I talked with my Trooper friend again. He told me that the radios are VHF & 700mhz. They will be on the First Responder P25 Network once all the vehicles are equipped with the new radios. They will keep the VHF capability so they can talk with smaller towns and counties that will not be on the Responder Network.. They will also need the VHF side to work disasters. He did not know how long this will take, but it is suppose to be sometime this year (so he's been told). They also kept the same in-car repeater so, for right now, the handhelds will not change. I have noticed more of their Tahoes with the short, black phantom type antenna on the very rear of the roof just above the third brake light.

I hope they are not encrypted, but looking at the talk group listing in the database most LE are.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
They will stay on VHF in their areas outside of the 700 systems, but in the areas where there they are within range of the interconnected systems, they can use them on there. They will be using the 700 primarily for interop with other agencies on the systems. So you really won't be hearing much for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.