DPS KKM-304?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I just heard what sounded like a DPS dispatcher coming over TXWARN TGID 2691. I didn't hear all of the transmission, but the dispatcher signed off with "KKM-304". This callsign isn't listed in the database (neither is the TGID). Anyone know what station that callsign might be associated with?

nd5y

Strange they would use it on a trunked system unless it was patched to something on VHF.
The only times I have heard KKM304 on the air were:
1. In El Paso in the late 70's when DPS switched from low band to high band they used it for several months until they got the new high band frequencies added to the existing license (KKA640).
2. In 2010 during the wildfires in Palo Pinto County the DPS brought in a command trailer and they used it on the VCALL/VTAC interop channels and regular DPS channels.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I just remembered that a fairly large country music festival called ChiliFest is going on right now in Burleson County. The only odd part is that the station (possibly a mobile command post?) is appearing on a new, unidentified TGID instead of one of the TXWARN interop channels.

I also remember DPS Bryan using that callsign for a few days after they moved to a new building a few years ago.

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Not much help, but just heard "2732" calling "Command" for a radio check.

ETA...Just heard a traffic stop on "60, just past the bridge". I believe this matches the festival Michael referenced.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
DPS always uses VHF as a primary system, if there is a trunking system in place also that they use then they talk on both VHF and trunked at the same time. They always clear with their call sign. So you'll hear that on the trunked system as well.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
DPS always uses VHF as a primary system, if there is a trunking system in place also that they use then they talk on both VHF and trunked at the same time. They always clear with their call sign. So you'll hear that on the trunked system as well.

I'm going to have to concur with this. DPS' primary system in VHF If you hear the call sign then the VHF system is patched to the trunked system. DPS is notoriously diligent about complying with FCC regulations. I would also expect similar compliance on other frequencies, as well.

Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.