DPS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

brazoscty

Premium Subscriber
I am using a PRO 97. I have all of the DPS frequencies for the Bryan area plugged into their own channel. The only thing I hear is the Bryan Base on 155.460. Are all the other channels encripted? Yesterday I was within 1/4 mile of a DPS car on a traffic stop(no it wasn't me) on Highway 6 and could not hear anything, even though I could see the trooper talking into the mike. Anyone have any ideas?

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
This is a little OT, but does anyone know when Childress and W'Falls DPS are going APCO-25?

Jim

edwftx

Scooter should know the answer to that Skywatch.
I just hope I can get my 400-500 bucks saved up before then so I can get a a digital scanner.

225Texas

DPS Troopers

Troopers are always on their primary DPS radio. However, many times we use the county's channel to run traffic. Also, from time to time, Troopers may use the municipal police department's channel. Trooper may use which ever channel they darn well please when working traffic.

Example: I've heard Waller County Troopers on DPS primary, on Waller Co. Primary, and on Grimes Co. Primary when running traffic on Hwy.6 near Grimes/Waller Counties. I've heard a Washington County Trooper running traffic on Brenham PD primary. Last but not least, I've heard 2540 running traffic on Brookshire PD Primary. Your best bet, get to know your area and the Troopers who work in your community. And keep on scanning until you find'em! Good luck.

Last edited:

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
225Texas said:
Example: I've heard Waller County Troopers on DPS primary, on Waller Co. Primary, and on Grimes Co. Primary when running traffic on Hwy.6 near Grimes/Waller Counties. I've heard a Washington County Trooper running traffic on Brenham PD primary. Last but not least, I've heard 2540 running traffic on Brookshire PD Primary. Your best bet, get to know your area and the Troopers who work in your community. And keep on scanning until you find'em! Good luck.

Washington County Dispatch and Brenham Dispatch are on the same channel. But yeah, you're right, they use anything they want to.

225Texas

Didn't know that...Thanks

On my radio, it shows "Brenham PD Primary". I never noticed Washington County on this channel. Who uses the Washington County Channel? I'm new to the whole scanner thing, so I'm still trying to get everything situated. I'm starting to carry my scanner to work as well. I usually monitor the VFD's in the county. So have you heard any units yet?

VintageJon

Yesterday morning heard DPS "testing new system" on APCO 25 here in Travis County,TX.
Obscure interest only to this post. (Pro96)

The addendum: heard it on "800MHz ducky" but I'm only 1/2 mile from "TX DPS Command"
so I hear everything they are doing in VHF, UHF, and 800 MHz APCO-25. Expect it all to be
APCO-25 before long.
Why thre ducky? It's my custom to have a S&S the morning and I usually take Pro96 with the duckey into the small-room for entertainment.

S&S- welll I dare not get more explict here email or pm

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
VintageJon said:
Yesterday morning heard DPS "testing new system" on APCO 25 here in Travis County,TX.
Obscure interest only to this post. (Pro96)

<SNIP>

Hey Jon,

What freq was that on?

Russell

225Texas

We haven't gone digital yet. Some Troopers in West Texas says the skip is still the same as the old system. Is this true?

VintageJon

Russell,
Sorry, I didn't write it down. It was somewhere in the TRS APCO-25 system- digital in the
866-867 MHz range. (See Data Base for Control Freqs.)

73's,
Jon

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Jon, I guess I misunderstood. So DPS is testing talkgroups on the Austin/Travis system? I'll defintely keep an ear out for that.

Russell

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
225Texas said:
On my radio, it shows "Brenham PD Primary". I never noticed Washington County on this channel. Who uses the Washington County Channel? I'm new to the whole scanner thing, so I'm still trying to get everything situated. I'm starting to carry my scanner to work as well. I usually monitor the VFD's in the county. So have you heard any units yet?

The old SO Dispatch Channel is being used for a TAC channel I believe. I live in Waller County, I can confirm that SO and Brenham PD Dispatch are both on the same channel, but they used to be split up.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
The old SO primary on 155.625 is the EMS dispatch and ops channel, but SO uses it as TAC. And I have listened to P25 mode testing on that repeater a few months ago, so keep it in your scan list. Listening to the radio techs, it sounded like they had a voting site for it set up in Burton, so either they just upgraded the repeater or maybe have something up their sleeve. Only a little listening will tell.....

VintageJon

Russell,
Appears that DPS is testing APCO25 in the TRS at this time- just judging from what I've heard. Listen before 9:00 AM Local and see if you hear it. I suspect something is planned...

Of couse it could have been skip as no location was indicated. Skip on a ducky in the small room? "Well everything that can happen while happen at least once."

225Texas- Good Work, Trooper. My family has been involved with DPS for 3 generations and I salute you, sir.
What they are saying and what is in "planning stages" may be two differet things. Living a few blocks from the antenna-farm and bunker and watching construction/changes/work has caused me to wonder.
I try to predict my future-scanning-needs by watching and listening. Really enjoy listening to you folks as you are the most professional law-enforcement group I've ever known. No finer force than the DPS in TX...

73's All,
Jon

Last edited:

225Texas

VintageJohn, thank you very much for your comments. It means a lot to hear that from citizens. DPS is surely the best LEA in Texas, in my opinion. I want to thank scanner listeners as well. You guys (gals) sure have helped me out in the past. Once again, thanks! And, keep scanning!

Status
Not open for further replies.