DPS Safety Checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_webb59

Did I hear right on TV that TX DPS will be conducting uhm, "numerous" stops of commercial vehicles for the next 72 hours? Apparently 1500 trucks and 200 drivers were taken into custody during last year's roundup? Then I gotta recharge those batteries and lock in those repeaters.

KE5GDR

The press release

June 5, 2006
DPS to inspect thousands of commercial vehicles during Roadcheck 2006

Texas Department of Public Safety troopers and inspectors are scheduled to inspect commercial vehicles throughout the state during Roadcheck 2006, a 72-hour intensive inspection program that runs from June 6 through 8 throughout North America.

DPS Commercial Vehicle Enforcement troopers and noncommissioned inspectors, along with Highway Patrol troopers who have received specialized training in commercial vehicle inspection, will stop thousands of commercial vehicles to inspect safety equipment and check driver log books, driver licenses and endorsements. Inspectors will also look for possible drug or alcohol use.

“During this concentrated inspection period, we expect to conduct thousands of commercial vehicle inspections, removing unsafe vehicles from the roadways and citing others with violations as necessary,” said Chief Randall K. Elliston, head of the Texas Highway Patrol. “Roadcheck is a reminder for truckers and commercial vehicle owners to make sure they are meeting safety requirements and their vehicles are in good operating condition.”

During Roadcheck 2005, inspectors examined more than 5,560 vehicles in Texas. As a result, troopers removed 1,518 vehicles and 200 drivers from service because of the serious nature of their safety violations.

The Roadcheck program, which stretches from Mexico to Canada, is designed to reduce commercial vehicle highway fatalities through increased vehicle safety. The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA), which sponsors Roadcheck, reports a significant decrease in the commercial vehicle crash rate in North America since the program’s start in 1988.

Vehicles passing inspection receive a CVSA decal exempting the vehicle from inspection for a 90-day period, unless they have an obvious safety defect.

### (PIO 2006-019)

SCPD

QRT
Allow me to make one thing clear. 200 drivers were taken out of service, not taken into custody. There is one hell of a difference. And I am not going into detail but if KE5GDR wants to elaborate he certainly seems knowledgeable enough to take it to task. I am sure it would cause many of the truck driver haters who read things like this to climax at the thought of 200 drivers being in custody over a three day inspection period. Get your facts correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.