DPS Tollway Troopers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what the DPS Troopers on NTTA Tollways use? They have talkgroup 60035 on the Dallas P25/NCTCOG system and I also know they also have the FirstNet PTT like the NTTA Courtesy Patrol but that isn't their primary form of communication from what I understand.

I put 60035 in my radio but I'm not picking anything up, however I have other talkgroups like DPD Fugitive and can listen to those just fine.

EDIT: I also have 60029 but I haven't heard anything on that in like a year or so, the only reason I have that one programmed in is because the TX DPS page on RR shows under region 1 > NTTA that DPS is using 60029, maybe a mistake since on the system page it shows its the task force back when DPD had that crime initiative? I'm confused lol. Any pointers or ideas would be helpful.

If I had time I'd drive down and just SDR the site to see what hits pop up.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
After looking back I only programmed the Dallas Simulcast site not the NCTCOG ones.... Will correct and see what that does. Thank you!
I just about always hear the tollway troopers on the Dallas/NCTCOG site. Once in a great while I'll see them on one of the other NCTCOG sites. I have, on rare occasions, heard a few calls for units on Hwy 360 (the toll portion south of I-20), or over on the Chisholm Trail toll road.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
I just about always hear the tollway troopers on the Dallas/NCTCOG site. Once in a great while I'll see them on one of the other NCTCOG sites. I have, on rare occasions, heard a few calls for units on Hwy 360 (the toll portion south of I-20), or over on the Chisholm Trail toll road.

I've been listening for a bit but haven't heard any key ups, have the control channels changed for the Dallas NCTCOG site or atleast that you know of? I triple checked and put everything in right, and I know I'm in range.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've been listening for a bit but haven't heard any key ups, have the control channels changed for the Dallas NCTCOG site or atleast that you know of? I triple checked and put everything in right, and I know I'm in range.
There's only the four frequencies, the primary & three alternate control channels, and I have not seen anything specific change.

They go in spurts. Sometimes really active, sometimes not. They may be using MDTs for routine traffic. One thing that the dispatcher assigned for the tollway units does is that they often look at the cameras to verify a wreck location, or the current position of a wrong-way driver. Last hit I logged was less than five minutes ago.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Any clue where the CTP units in Johnson County work off of routinely? I have heard DPS tollway units from Johnson County assist units on CTP in Southern Tarrant County/Fort Worth before on pursuits, but they sounded like they switched from another channel after saying “tollway (unit ID), I’m over.” Also the NCTCOG Tarrant site drops off before the end of CTP in Cleburne. And I’ve never heard anything called out farther south than about 1187.

I have logged both the NCTCOG Tarrant site and the FWRRS Johnson County site and found no new talkgroups with DPS UID activity. I have seen some DPS UIDs on the JoCo law talkgroups, but have not seen the same UIDs of the DPS Tollway units I’ve seen on NCTCOG used on any of the JoCo law talkgroups, so it doesn’t appear that they are using the JoCo SO or any other JoCo law talkgroups for CTP. No activity on the conventional either.

The DPS talkgroup on the FWRRS appears to be a patch to DPS Mineral Wells talkgroup on the Parker County system. I have heard it used during pursuits, but was mostly only dispatch and not mobiles and these appeared to only be units patrolling the state highways and FM and county roads. Sounded as if I was listening to one of the Base channels.

It’s so much easier to listen to DPS in Austin-Travis County with most DPS operations being on the GATRRS🙄

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
What about these?
I don't remember if anybody ever confirmed if the UHF channel is used

I plugged those in late last year and found no activity while trying to figure this out. I believe these are the same frequencies that they used to use previously but are now deprecated. I also don’t believe DPS uses any conventional in analog anymore, any DPS frequency I have found that’s active is using only P25.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
I had the UHF freqs in for a long time and NEVER heard a peep. I hear DPS Tollway on Collin NCTCOG (60035) nearly every day.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
Don't forget TG: 60029. Its rarely used but they do use it. The McKinney (Collin Tower) has great coverage all the way into Denison. Non-Tollway units also use this for US-75 patrol in Collin Co. and IH-30 patrol between Dallas & Tarrant counties.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Is it still patched to DPD Ch 12 like the DB says?
I have not heard the patch in quite a while. It was active when a number of DPS officers were working with Dallas PD in specified high crime areas. But that program has not been in use for quite some time. While I'm still seeing DPS/Tollways calls on TGID 60035, I have not seen 60029 active in a number of months.. But if Texoma24n is hearing it in use on the SRT, via the Collin County site, that would generally be out of range for me here in southern Dallas County.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
It's not patched to DPD. I hear it on rare occasion as a Talk channel. I keep it in the line up anyways, never know when some group is going to go nuts in downtown again.

Status
Not open for further replies.