Dragon and ISS Space-to-Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone yet been able to definitively confirm what digital protocol is being used by SpaceX for space-to-ground voice comms in S-band?

Also, and I apologize if this particular query is redundant, but does anyone have the frequencies and digital protocol that is being used for Space-Ground 1 and Space-Ground 2 between MCC Houston and the ISS? Still VHF or is it all S-Band via the TDRSS now?

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone yet been able to definitively confirm what digital protocol is being used by SpaceX for space-to-ground voice comms in S-band?

Also, and I apologize if this particular query is redundant, but does anyone have the frequencies and digital protocol that is being used for Space-Ground 1 and Space-Ground 2 between MCC Houston and the ISS? Still VHF or is it all S-Band via the TDRSS now?
I searched the 108 - 118 MHz, 137 - 138 MHz, 225 - 406 MHz, 240 - 270 MHz ranges during the mission and heard nothing in those freq ranges in relation to the Dragon X mission.
Listening to Nasa's live u-stream after the Dragon X docking, Nasa ground said they were disconnecting the S-band link from the Dragon to the ISS; and putting them on the ISS "big loop". From Larry Van Horn's Communications Satellite book I found the following S-band freqs in use during the Shuttle period. The book is a 1985 edition.
Shuttle:
2250.0 FM downlink 10F9
2205.0 FM downlink DFI
2287.5 PM downlink 3/5/6F9
2217.5 PM downlink 2F9
2106.4 PM uplink 6F9
2041.9 PM uplink 3.6F9
Other TDRSS freqs:
2035.96 A
2211.0 downlink
2232.5 A downlink
2215.0 TV downlink
15000.85 Ku band
DOD uplink:
1831.8 Primary
1775.7 Secondary
UHF AM comms:
259.7 - 279.0 - 296.8

Rich - N3VMY - KAG0096

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Listening to Nasa's live u-stream after the Dragon X docking, Nasa ground said they were disconnecting the S-band link from the Dragon to the ISS; and putting them on the ISS "big loop".

The "Big Loop" refers to the TRDSS, referring to the system encompassing the circumference of the earth. That much I know. And what they were disconnecting was the terrestrial link that allows MCC Houston to access SpaceX's communications system through a fiber-optic connection. Basically a really expensive talkgroup patch.

I'll definitely take note of the frequencies you listed. I am still curious about what digital protocol they're using. It almost sounds like DMR in audio quality, but, that's obviously an evidenceless assumption.

A good place to ask about Dragon comms would be the hearsat IRC channel (on freenode these days)

I'll definitely hop on there! Thanks!

danesgs

Too bad we don't have the digital gear to decode voice comms that high and in the clear (some of us do) I know. Would love to hear the unencrypted comms of what goes on up there.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Too bad we don't have the digital gear to decode voice comms that high and in the clear (some of us do) I know. Would love to hear the unencrypted comms of what goes on up there.

Assuming it is encrypted. There's a reason to believe SpaceX is not, and to my knowledge, nobody has unilaterally confirmed the ISS Space-Ground frequencies are either. The Shuttle S-band allocations definitely were encrypted though.

Status
Not open for further replies.