Dreaded SDS200 Hum

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizardofid

I've got a new SDS200 that I purchased (February 2020) and it appears to have (developed) the dreaded SDS200 hum.

My question is... if I were to send this back to Uniden for repair, would they just install the "temporary fix" used to ground the radio or would they do an actual repair and ground the radio as it should have been in the beginning?

Has anyone here sent their SDS200 back to Uniden and had their radio repaired, with the repair being done properly... and not just having another remedial grounding piece put in?

I read the "sticky" on repairing the hum... but I don't I have the knowledge to do it myself. Does anyone have any recommendations on how I should proceed to have this issue corrected?

Thanks in advance!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm not aware of Uniden doing anything new or different to resolve the problem. I will say that it seems current units being shipped from various dealers appear to not have the problem.

If you had purchased it recently I would have suggested you return it to the dealer for a replacement but it's now at a point where you would likely have to send it to Uniden for repair. Be prepared to wait for it some length of time. If it were me, I'd try re-seating the grounding wedge. If you feel qualified do the fix that involves removing the green circuit board coating on the screw down holes in the circuit board do that it's a permanent fix.

wizardofid

I'm not aware of Uniden doing anything new or different to resolve the problem. I will say that it seems current units being shipped from various dealers appear to not have the problem.

If you had purchased it recently I would have suggested you return it to the dealer for a replacement but it's now at a point where you would likely have to send it to Uniden for repair. Be prepared to wait for it some length of time. If it were me, I'd try re-seating the grounding wedge. If you feel qualified do the fix that involves removing the green circuit board coating on the screw down holes in the circuit board do that it's a permanent fix.

I have no problem with the long wait if I send the SDS200 back to Uniden. My big worry is "will they just clean and readjust the grounding wedge" or will they take the time to remove, clean the screws, and reseat them?

Do you know if anyone here has had this repair done by Uniden?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have no problem with the long wait if I send the SDS200 back to Uniden. My big worry is "will they just clean and readjust the grounding wedge" or will they take the time to remove, clean the screws, and reseat them?

Do you know if anyone here has had this repair done by Uniden?

I doubt they will do that and no one I'm aware of has had Uniden do that for them. Their idea of a repair is to give us a wedgie! :eek:

wizardofid

Well, with a luck, patience and reading of past messages on RadioReference... I pretty sure I found the solution to my "hum problem".

All I had to do was change the setting of the "Audio Amplifier" and it shut off the hum to my radio.

If you interested on how to do this... see these posts for a better explanation:

(See Post #8)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Well, with a luck, patience and reading of past messages on RadioReference... I pretty sure I found the solution to my "hum problem".

All I had to do was change the setting of the "Audio Amplifier" and it shut off the hum to my radio.

If you interested on how to do this... see these posts for a better explanation:

(See Post #8)

That really doesn't make it go away, it's still annoying. It just turns it on & off everytime something is received which can be even more annoying! Glad my new replacement doesn't have the problem!

wizardofid

That really doesn't make it go away, it's still annoying. It just turns it on & off everytime something is received which can be even more annoying! Glad my new replacement doesn't have the problem!
True, but it is like night and day... compared to when the amplifier was always on. At least I have some control over the hum until I get the noise mitigation piece from Uniden. I'm supposed to receive it on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.