Dreaming of the day that Uniden, and RS do get the EDACS PV

In your opinion, what type of trs would be best suited for statewide usage in MS?

• Motorola VHF

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Motorola UHF

• Motorola 800

• EDACS

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Oh joy to us all when R&D at Uniden is done with the new planned EDACS PV capable scanner! Here in MS this will be a lovely thing, since not only do we have Motorola I, II, IIi, and IID systems, we also have EDACS, and EDACS PV, as well as LTR systems. Its amazing that we have almost every type of trunking system made here. VHF, UHF, and 800. The only other thing left to incorporate into a scanner would be LTR Multinet, and the other LTR system that so far is non trackable. And seeing as Uniden is doing PV, then RS can't be too far behind. So i guess we would call it a Trunktracker V?? Analog, digital, conventional, trunked in all flavors. Will be sweet! Especially if it can scan conventional and do trunking at the same time. Of course then would be our dream of one day a scanner that can decode sattelite radio so that we can once again listen to MEMA, and F&W operations.

McReb

mILF, EDUCATE ME!

Is Uniden/Bearcat coming with a new scanner that will cover EDACS - Pro Voice?

If so, where can I read about it?

Thank you.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
NEXTEL & AEGIS will _NEVER_ be available on a scanner.

Rumors came out from Uniden earlier this year that they were early in R&D for a scanner with ProVoice capabilities, but no info of any usefulness.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
I have no idea what the developers are seriously working on, but I believe if any manufactuer attempts to sell a scanner for provoice or open sky that macom/tyco will take it to court to protect their intellectual property rights. macom/tyco will make more profit from selling one large city system than all of the profits from scanners combined. This is why macom does not try to sell apco25 and fought apco25 for years. Of course now some bids require that systems be apco25 compliant and macom/tyco has no choice. But their best selling feature for PV and OS is they are not scanable and with ESK don't require encryption to have a reasonable level of security.

gill

Stephen

The only bad part is that their is not interoperability. That is the thing that APCO is trying to get at but with M/A COM doing their own thing this is not going to be happening.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
"but I believe if any manufactuer attempts to sell a scanner for provoice or open sky that macom/tyco will take it to court to protect their intellectual property rights. "

I would imagine that Uniden is aware of that issue, which is why a NEXTEL scanner will never come around. But if the manufacturer works with Uniden I think that would inhibit the lawsuit threat.

The radio people at MSP sold their system to cities by telling end users that no scanner would ever pick up APCO25 digital...

- Rob

mr_hankey

hey gill, how did Uniden handle the copyright issues with EDACS trunktracking when it first became available?

was EDACS not a patented process?

i seem to remember there WERE some acceptable ways for reverse-engineer a protocol and make it public...

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
PROVoice will be cracked and thier will be deals made whether by a reverse engineering, or by an outright deal between Uniden, or RS and MACOM, but as to AEGIS, which is the old standard, your right the way its done makes a scanner that can open it impossible. As to Nextel, and Southern Linc scanners, thier is way too much money involved with the big industry to let that ever be scannable. The only scanner made that can crack any system is patented and owned by the military and will never be allowed in open markets. Besides if it were, the price would be incredible, like say in the 20,000 range per a unit. Only a rich nutcase with no life and wayyy too much time on his hands could afford it.

Cheers!

Thayne

I have a strong hunch that the DSP for the PRO-96 could be--shall we say, "Tweaked" ," Phreaked" (OK reverse engineered Maybe) and made to do ProVoice. Of course the control channel decoding would be another small matter to make it follow and switch between analog & digital. At least you could scan it conventionally until things get better.

A good place to start would be to look at the differences between the first DSP and the upgrade.

It does say on page 3 of the 96 manual that RS might beat your buns if you mess with their program, though. :lol:

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
LOL

Quite possibly! But whosever does this will get rich when hired by one of the big radio companies to design the next system so it cant happen again lol!

SCPD

QRT
milf said:
if it were, the price would be incredible, like say in the 20,000 range per a unit.

Try higher ... an iDEN protocol analyzer / monitor costs more than that. An all-in-one unit would cost much, much more.

-rick

Status
Not open for further replies.