• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Driest Hurricane In Years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHaislet

Is it just me, or is Alberto (Trop Storm/Hurricane) one of the driest storms in recent history? Absent some light cloud cover and the line of thunderstorms that rolled through earlier today, where's the hurricane??? ;)

Winds, Check;
Storm Surge, Check;
Rotational Counter-Flow, Check;
Decreasing Pressure, Check;
Defined eye-wall and accompanying torrential rain producing clouds, Negative...

http://www.intellicast.com/IcastPage/LoadPage.aspx?loc=usa&seg=StormCenter&prodgrp=FloaterImagery&product=Float2Loop&prodnav=none&pid=none

DX904

It did not impress me (a lifelong resident of hurricane ally) all that much as the OP said it was a rather dry storm. The worst damage it did here in South Georgia was cause all the residents to forget how to drive. I haven't heard this many accidents on the scanner in a long time.

MacombMonitor

My sister, who lives in Summerfield, FL., said they got about 1/2" of rain, maybe. I think CNN was suffering from a bad case of Post Katrina Panic! Wolf Blitzer was talking to a professional meteorologist who was trying to downplay all the hype, and Wolf kept interrupting him, almost as to beg for a category 5!

Attachments

JHaislet

Yeah, I too thought it might get bumped up to a Cat 1, as right before I posted this it jumped from 45 to 70mph sustained winds. Also, given the fact that Florida waters tend to be warmest on the shelf that extends a number of miles off-shore from the coast, another slight increase was very plausible as it came within 50 miles of landfall.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
But by that point he was already sucking in a LOT of dry air, which minimized the coverage of heavy rain and ate up the central core.

Many in the national media said "at least that wasn't Katrina" -- if we compare every stinking storm to N.O. this is going to be a LONG season...

JHaislet

Agreed, this knee-jerk reaction is actually going to get folks killed. Maybe not this season, but one down the road. If the media keeps crying wolf, people will tune them out just like before N.O.

rdale

Fortunately from what I hear it's just the national media, local weathercasters (still the primary source of info for a large majority of people) did not play this up.

- Rob

KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
Uh...Central NC would beg to differ....we are having some pretty big flooding problems in the Raleigh/Wake County area....

rdale

It's not a tropical system anymore, it's taken on "regular" low pressure characteristics now. I think the original post was referring to early NHC predictions of widespread torrential rains of 10" in FL, and due to the dry air that choked the system off the rains were only 3-5" and not at all widespread.

Status
Not open for further replies.