• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Drilling for NMO on 2016 F150 with panoramic moonroof

Status
Not open for further replies.

kermit1

Hello all,

anyone have any tips for location or drilling for an F150 with the full panoramic moonroof? Looking at things online and I don't see much out there except for trucks with a solid roof.

Thanks.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You don't really have a lot of options.
The glass roof doesn't provide a ground plane, so efficiency of any antenna you mount up there is going to be an issue.

About your only rooftop option for a permanent mount is to go just about the 3rd brake light, or maybe up front.
The amount of ground plane is going to be limited, so higher frequencies will have less issues. If you are planning on VHF, VHF Low, or CB, you'll have a less than ideal ground plane.

kermit1

You don't really have a lot of options.
The glass roof doesn't provide a ground plane, so efficiency of any antenna you mount up there is going to be an issue.

About your only rooftop option for a permanent mount is to go just about the 3rd brake light, or maybe up front.
The amount of ground plane is going to be limited, so higher frequencies will have less issues. If you are planning on VHF, VHF Low, or CB, you'll have a less than ideal ground plane.
It's for a dual band amateur radio. I know it's limited space, which is why I've held off so long on doing it. Currently I have the antenna on a fender mount, but I get a lot of blocking of signal when I go different directions. I wanted to get the antenna up higher so the truck isn't the restriction.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's for a dual band amateur radio. I know it's limited space, which is why I've held off so long on doing it. Currently I have the antenna on a fender mount, but I get a lot of blocking of signal when I go different directions. I wanted to get the antenna up higher so the truck isn't the restriction.

If I was in that situation, I'd mount it above the 3rd brake light. Not going to be a perfect ground plane, but it's the best you have.

kermit1

Are you talking drilling the roof or using one of those third brake light mounts?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Are you talking drilling the roof or using one of those third brake light mounts?

Drill the roof, make the most of what ground plane you have.

The third brake light mounts are an expensive option, and they put the antenna all the way back at the edge of the cab, which makes what little ground plane you have even worse.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I would also suggest reviewing your antenna choice. Since your ground plane is compromised, look for an antenna that isn't so ground plane dependent, such as a half wave whip, or something like the NMO2/70B. They do tend to be pretty long for on top of a truck.

bharvey2

I'd be looking at 1/2 or 5/8 wave antennas too. My wife had a Ford Edge with a panoramic glass roofs. There was very little room for an antenna. Also, I'd heard rumor of how susceptible they are to cracking. I didn't want to tempt fate so I went with an antenna that was less ground plane dependent.

kermit1

Which antenna did you end up with? I've got an HYS on a fender mount now. Not the greatest, bit it actually works pretty well for what it is. I just want more reach and less interference from the truck.

bharvey2

I'm going from memory but I think I used a Diamond NR770. 1/2wave at 144mhz and 5/8 at 440mhz.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

The OP says they have a fender mount right now, and getting some shadowing from the cab.

Yeah, those mounts will work, but the lopsided ground plane and having it below the cab is less than ideal. Moving the antenna to the cab roof will help performance quite a bit.

mrweather

Yeah, having a sunroof is great for "opening up" the cabin but a gaping hole in an otherwise nice, big groundplane sucks for antenna mounting.

Status
Not open for further replies.