DRM Broadcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

Do any of you listen to DRM broadcasts ? What equipment are you using ?

Many thanks
De VA2FCS

Kd8lzl

I've never listened to a broadcast, I don't have any sdr equipment. From what I read you need a sdr and download a separate software to decode through your main sdr software. Good luck!

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
I think any receiver capable of receiving HF will do as long as you can pass the signal to a decoder. The DREAM decoder seems to be made just for that.

ArloG

I can give my two cents. Over on sourceforge there is the Dream DRM decoder. It has gone a bit stagnant.
I've received and decoded BBC and Radio Marti DRM. BBC is a bear. You need a good, strong signal to receive and decode it.
You're free to search for the shcedules as well as search for DRM schedules.
Don't even try the sourceforge version as you will be running for a bottle of Advil before long. As supported by the discussion forums.
A cool guy pre-compiled a Windows version that works very well.
The rules for running it still remain. It's ready to go.
I understand KiwiSDR also decodes DRM. I haven't used it though. To me it's a pita to use.

Reddit forum:

DReaM v2.2.1 download:

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Yes the latest version on sourceforge is a real headache. I tried to make it work yesterday but could not. I went back and read the comments and looks like everybody has the same problems i did. I installed an earlier version and at leat the dream decoder starts without error. I now need to make it work with my 8600 and VAC. Never had success with VAC but i will give it a go again.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
For older desktops and some portables, you need to make a detector tap - similar in principle to a discriminator tap in a scanner. You can't just pump the audio from the radio. There are several websites out there with specific instructions.

Probably the best way to go is a SDR with the right software. There's a reflector on groups.io that has had discussions on DREAM in the past called DRMNA

Mike

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
I'm gonna try to use the I/Q out connector in the back of my R8600. I think i saw a link to a video on how to do it

mbott

Premium Subscriber
My experience has DRM being a difficult catch here. I check every now and then.

--
Mike

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
I manage to get all the software to communicate with each other (HDSR, VAC and DREAM decoder) I have not decode anything yet. I've tried a different time during the morning/day/evening based on the available schedule found on the Internet. I will try with my RSPDuo

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I've come to the point that *IF* I see a potential DRM signal, I'll try on a kiwi. No pcs with Dream installed currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.