NewsArt DRM Consortium asks FCC to adopt DRM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's a long shot, for sure, but whether it's actually going to move any further than this letter is certainly debatable....

Mike

Boombox

I wish them the best. The MW band will need a lot of ideas to survive the 21st Century. HD may be one of them, DRM could be another. Analog has its uses, but RFI kills it in some locations. I think more options to save broadcasting on MW is preferable to less options.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Dealing with the FCC? Letter SCHMETTER!!!! Your waving around that paper like your some kind of Jedi. They are bureaucracy, mind tricks don't work on them, only MONEY. So unless they have a deep pocketed backing a letter is not going anywhere with the FCC.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes the folks that produce IBOC (so-called 'HD Radio') likely has very deep pockets.

I doubt this proposal will go anywhere - without lots of green, it's probably going to end up in the black hole in the center of the galaxy....Mike

Boombox

^^^^^ But in a few years' time, it may be considered. The FCC considering the allowance of AM stations to go all-HD surprised me. If the DRM movement can gain any traction at the station level, maybe it will be considered also -- I wouldn't think that would happen for another ten years, though. The band will have to have a bit more restructuring before any DRM experiments may be allowed.

majoco

Stirrer
If Joe Public needs to put his hands in his pockets to by fancy-schmancy DRM radios to receive the same old stuff then it's doomed to fail. It's taken 30+ years for DAB to catch on in the UK. DAB and DRM will not be broadcast on the MW BC band anyway, more likely to be in the VHF band or the old 45MHz TV bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.