Drone Exercise 271.100 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Is this in Arkansas? Maybe in Oklahoma? The HAWG callsign I'm familiar with used to be out of Fort Smith, AR. That is a drone facility nowadays where they test, train, and fly many drones. I'm curious where you're hearing it so that I can know if it's anywhere within my range or maybe even in the HOG MOA?

Brian
COMMSCANScreenshot_20210307-102357.png

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
See if there is anything in this audio file that will help you 271.100 MHz

PYTHON 01 is an MQ-9 drone out of KSYR. 2 other MQ-9s departed KSYR this morning as well, COBRA 01 and APEX 01. These are the standard callsigns used by these drones (so far the only 3 callsigns I've heard used). Typical missions depart around 08:00-09:00 in the morning and then return 9-14 hours later.

As well as the MOAs to the northeast of KSYR they also work in airspace called GRIMM, OSWEGO and MISTY. Entry into these areas is controlled by Boston Center which you can hear on 135.250 (there is also a LiveATC feeds that covers this Boston sector as well as KSYR). On the attached map you can see the MISTY airspace and I suspect OSWEGO is the area north of KSYR and GRIMM is the area overhead and to the east of KSYR.

I'm not sure who HOG 11 is ? It did not appear to have departed from KSYR. Maybe one of the other 2 drones is using it as a tactical callsign ? Are you hearing APEX and COBRA talking with HOG too ? That would eliminate it as a possibility, in which case it might be an other type from a different base. Sounds like an A-10 callsign, but who knows ?

SYR Drones.jpg

Last edited:

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I have some more audio files from today:

271.100 MHz – Python 01, Venom one-five, Instructor 5 calling to make sure they had radio com, tracking Apache, and Hawgs, Check Point 4,

259.500 MHz – Apex 01, Hawg 1-1, Apache Helicopter,

267.800 MHz – Venom, Cobra, Over Lake Ontario,

FROM 1200 Hrs to 1500 Hrs

Audio Files:

Before Today I was thinking they did not do any exercises on Sundays, but today they've been busy.

Wish I could see the drones on the ADS-B map, I live right beside Lake Erie and only 20 Miles from Lake Ontario but never see any drones of any kind over the lakes, I think I read somewhere that they were testing drones out of the Niagara Falls Air Force Base, to start patrolling Lake Erie U.S, Canadian border but I don't know if they started this or not. I always see the Homeland Security Helicopter flying up and down the middle of Lake Erie. To many people keeping an eye out over Lake Erie, we have U.S Coast Guard, Canadian Coast Guard, Homeland Security Helicopter, Erie County Sheriff Department Helicopter Just for starters.

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
I have some more audio files from today:

Thanks for posting the files. So Cobra, Python, Apex are the drones, still can't make out who Venom, Apache, Hog (or Hawg) might be ?

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
I think I read somewhere that they were testing drones out of the Niagara Falls Air Force Base, to start patrolling Lake Erie U.S, Canadian border but I don't know if they started this or not.

I have seen those border patrol drones show up on ADSB-X.

freqhopping

still can't make out who Venom, Apache, Hog (or Hawg) might be ?
Those are absolutely simulated aircraft conducting attacks on simulated targets. The target locations in OPs recording are not within ranges.

One target location is 18TUP790135 in Oswego.

1615166791708.png

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
Saint,

Your reception in that direction seems to be pretty good as those drones are about 120-150nm from your location.

I'm just wondering if you ever monitor the MOAs around the Fort Drum area ? This areas is known as the Adirondack Airspace Complex aka "Viper Airspace" and usually includes ATCAAs that extend up to FL500. It's frequently used by the F-35s out of Burlington and sometimes by the F-15s out of Barnes, and on rare occasions the F-16s out of Atlantic City and even the F-22s out of Langley.

Viper Common frequency is 226.300. The Burlington F-35s use "Channel 13" as the main Tactical frequency but I'm not sure if it's the same 226.300 ? AR609 in the area uses 276.500 primary and 282.700 secondary. Can anyone confirm these or know of any other Tactical frequencies used ?

Like the Drones entry into this airspace is controlled by Boston Center 135.250/377.100 (low), 123.875/323.000 (high), covered on the "ZBW Boston Center (UCA/ART08)" feed. The RR database also shows 321.300 used by Boston for Special Use/Tactical purposes but I've never heard it used so far.

The airspace is active today. FAA SUA website. It would be interesting to hear any recordings from from the tactical frequencies if you ever happen to get anything.

VIPER.jpg

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I have listen into 226.00 MHz but 276.500 MHz I have as Niagara Falls Airbase Ground out of Niagara Falls NY, 282.700 MHZ I have as
Air Refuel Route AR-206L Secondary I pick up a lot on this frequency because it's close to me.
The little black dot is were I live.

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    248.6 KB · Views: 13

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
I have listen into 226.00 MHz but 276.500 MHz I have as Niagara Falls Airbase Ground out of Niagara Falls NY

Viper Common is 226.300, do you ever get anything on that ? I have heard them use 276.500 for AR in the Viper airspace.

Your reception range seems to be very good, just wondering what sort of antenna you are using ?

Saint

Premium Subscriber
226.300 MHz, the last time anything came up it was a drone exercise, but I have not herd anything on this frequency for some time. What I usually do is scan my list of Military frequencies that I have and know I have picked up traffic on and log all the audio from the scan with ProScan and my Uniden 436HP scanner. I live in a 6 storey building and I am on the 4th floor, I have a discone antenna on a stand out on my balcony facing north and I get pretty good
Link to my antenna picture
Steve

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
Steve,

Nice antenna setup.

226.300 MHz, the last time anything came up it was a drone exercise, but I have not herd anything on this frequency for some time.

I wonder what frequency they are usually using then ? Viper is supposed to be active again starting this afternoon at 13:15 EST.

I have as Air Refuel Route AR-206L Secondary I pick up a lot on this frequency because it's close to me.

Looks like a BISON KC-135 hooked up with a USN P-8 on AR206 right now.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Yea I will put the Military frequencies into the scanner and see what I can pick up
Steve looks like it's getting busy

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    184.7 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.