Drones.

KeithJoseph

May be a stupid question but I know alot of police are using these things these days. Is there a certain frequency or something to be able to track these things nearby.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Civilian drones use split uplinks and downlinks. They automatically select a pair from whatever is unused in the vicinity to avoid interference. They can be encrypted I believe. Military and police drones are going to be much more sophisticated. You will not be able to track them much less eavesdrop.

There are no stupid questions only stupid answers.

Token

Premium Subscriber
Civilian drones use split uplinks and downlinks. They automatically select a pair from whatever is unused in the vicinity to avoid interference. They can be encrypted I believe. Military and police drones are going to be much more sophisticated. You will not be able to track them much less eavesdrop.
Yes, because of encryption you will not eavesdrop, but tracking is a different story.

Anything that transmits can be tracked. There may not be civilian available off the shelf systems to do so, but that does not mean it can't be done. Pulsed or digital signals are particularly easy to track, frequency hop / spread spectrum only makes that slightly more difficult. TDMA or CDMA common band signals as are found with civilian drone systems would actually be more difficult (in a dense signal environment) than dedicated frequency / band military systems.

T!

nmelfi

Yes, because of encryption you will not eavesdrop, but tracking is a different story.

Anything that transmits can be tracked. There may not be civilian available off the shelf systems to do so, but that does not mean it can't be done. Pulsed or digital signals are particularly easy to track, frequency hop / spread spectrum only makes that slightly more difficult. TDMA or CDMA common band signals as are found with civilian drone systems would actually be more difficult (in a dense signal environment) than dedicated frequency / band military systems.

T!
Not with a laptop and a SDR!:p Meaning the modes, not the encryption.