Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Amp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadSpleen85

My setup currently consists of a Centerfire Antenna Deluxe Discone to a 25ft run of RG6 Coax to a 4 way splitter which then goes to RG6 coax ranging in length from 20ft to 75ft. Shortest goes to a 46" Sony LCD HDTV, longest goes around the basement to a cheapo TV. Scanner is on about a 50ft cable run.

I am looking at extending to a 6 way splitter or 8 way, if necessary. From my antenna mast to the nearest transmitter is just under 5 miles to the NW and that is a Police department transmitter which is 460mhz. Nearest TV transmitter is 9.4 miles NE and the farthest is 15.9 miles ENE. Farthest transmitter for the scanner is 19.8 miles SSW. There is a cell tower due south about 3 miles from my home also.

So my question is with this setup to improve TV and scanner reception which would be my best option? Drop Amp? Pre Amp? No Amp?

I am new to amps and this is my first discone so you might have to dumb down some of the technical talk for me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

N

N_Jay

Probably use good 2-way splitter. Send one side to a quality TV amp and splitter to drive the TVs, and send the other side to the scanner.
4dB loss to the scanner is not too bad, and the TVs can probably stand the extra noise from the amp.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
N_Jay makes a good suggestion there - one I hadn't thought of. That way you don't get the negative effects that can be associated with the using the amp on your scanner, but reap the benefits for your runs to the TV's. Certainly a scenario worth serious consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.