• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Dropped Minitor won't stop vibrating

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuLabsWuTecH

Long story short: Someone dropped a minitor V about 3 stories. Now when it's turned on, all it does is vibrate constantly. It doesn't matter what mode it is in, when you turn it on, it just vibrates.

Some radio shop told them it would take about $75 for them to take a look at it and reprogram it, but this sounds odd to me. Why would a PHYSICAL actions (dropped from 3 stories) be fixed by a software solution? Anyways, he's just trying to get rid of the damn thing to someone who knows what they are doing and might be able to fix it up, and if it's just the codeplug that needs to be resent to it, even I can do that. But I'm extremely doubtful a software solution can fix something that started because of a physical problem.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Searching the forums, I only found one mention of a continuously vibrating minitor and it actually was a programming error.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Long story short: Someone dropped a minitor V about 3 stories. Now when it's turned on, all it does is vibrate constantly. It doesn't matter what mode it is in, when you turn it on, it just vibrates.

Some radio shop told them it would take about $75 for them to take a look at it and reprogram it, but this sounds odd to me. Why would a PHYSICAL actions (dropped from 3 stories) be fixed by a software solution? Anyways, he's just trying to get rid of the damn thing to someone who knows what they are doing and might be able to fix it up, and if it's just the codeplug that needs to be resent to it, even I can do that. But I'm extremely doubtful a software solution can fix something that started because of a physical problem.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Searching the forums, I only found one mention of a continuously vibrating minitor and it actually was a programming error.
I'm strongly inclined to accept and agree with your suspicion that a software change will not fix a pager that has fallen 3 stories.

FWIW, flat rate depot repair by Motorola is around $78. I opted not to buy extended warranties on pagers because of this. Since most of our inventory won't need repair for at least 4 years, if ever, it made good sense to skip extended warranty and just flat rate fix the few that develop problems. So far, the only ones we've sent in were either dropped or went swimming.

If the shop wants $75 and gives you a mumbo jumbo reason, they're probably just going to send it for flat rate repair and then tell you they reprogrammed it.

Edit to add: BTW, there is no field repair of Minitor V's. They all go to depot. At least that is how it is supposed to be.

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
Doesn't sound as if it is a programming issue. Sounds as if something internal got knocked "on"..

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
They have to be re-programed because when they come back from the depot Motorola removes the programming. That's how they come back from the depot for us.

reconrider8

i had kind of the same issue with my Min 5 but i went to put it on the charger and all it would do is have open squelch no matter what channel i was on turned it in for another and i believe it was a loose connection

wkredick

If its physical damage your dealer can request a swap for @ $150-180 a pager. They transfer you serial numbers onto the new unit ( usually a refurbed unit). Flate rate is $78-$100 depending on dealer.
Dropped 3 stories and vibes non stop sounds like the board got hit good. It happens.
I have a guy who is on his 4th pager that his K9 at work has chewed up ,physical damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.