dropping a line to introduce myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
Hey all
I just wanted to drop a line to say hi and introduce myself. I am not a ham operator. I have been interested in becoming one for a long time. I have played with scanners and done the whole walkie talkie bit when I was younger with a old friend. I just recently landed a job and my company does not have enough radios to go around. So I decided to get the uv5r so I can listen in for my calls. I got more curious about them and have been doing research. I have been doing so much research I drive my wife nuts with there search. I probably should have said hi and introduced my self before I made a couple of threads. but any way that's my story with wanting to become a ham operator.

N2AL

Hello to you, and where are you located? Often times you can find amateur radio clubs in your area who can assist you obtaining your ham radio license. My particular club in Tennessee hosts testing sessions monthly at club meetings. It is also a great way to introduce yourself and socialize with other hams who can assist you with obtaining your license, and getting on the air!

If you like to learn hands on and watching videos, YouTube TheHamWhisperer. This guys puts together GREAT videos over each question bank on the exams. Simple "here is the question, here is the answer, and why". I watched his videos for three days, then passed the exam!

73 to you and best of luck!

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
Hello to you, and where are you located? Often times you can find amateur radio clubs in your area who can assist you obtaining your ham radio license. My particular club in Tennessee hosts testing sessions monthly at club meetings. It is also a great way to introduce yourself and socialize with other hams who can assist you with obtaining your license, and getting on the air!

If you like to learn hands on and watching videos, YouTube TheHamWhisperer. This guys puts together GREAT videos over each question bank on the exams. Simple "here is the question, here is the answer, and why". I watched his videos for three days, then passed the exam!

73 to you and best of luck!

I am located in mesa Arizona.

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
you really gave me a kick in the butt to get me started on my ham studies> I checked that ddude out that you mentioned . I have the first 12 questions written down on a piece of paper and going to put them on flash cards. thank you for doing that.

bharvey2

If you're not aware of this already, there are a number of websites, including hamexam.org, that have sample online quizes and flashcards to aid in your study.

bharvey2

yes I know I got a a on the first part of the quize

Good to know. Also, I was in the Phoenix/Mesa area for my niece's wedding a few years ago. Plenty of HAM activity so you'll have plenty to do. Good luck on your studies.

N2AL

you really gave me a kick in the butt to get me started on my ham studies> I checked that ddude out that you mentioned . I have the first 12 questions written down on a piece of paper and going to put them on flash cards. thank you for doing that.

Fantastic! I am glad that I offered you a kick start into ham radio!! It truly is a fascinating hobby that can lead into so much more, when it comes to HF, digital, QRP portable, etc.

If i can be of assistance to you please let me know. The way to further our hobby is to get others interested, and lend them helpful advice along the way. I'm glad that I could do that for you.

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
Fantastic! I am glad that I offered you a kick start into ham radio!! It truly is a fascinating hobby that can lead into so much more, when it comes to HF, digital, QRP portable, etc.

If i can be of assistance to you please let me know. The way to further our hobby is to get others interested, and lend them helpful advice along the way. I'm glad that I could do that for you.

well thank you. do I need to know all the test questions ? is there just one test? Someone out here said there is three hundred questions, and it not a open book test. btw the cable I got sucks it didn't want to work with my radio I purchased the nice 20 dollar cable today. but some users are saying it don't work with windows 10 others are saying it does. I'm assuming its the operators mistake? I cant wait for my cable. I've been waiting two months to program these the right way. it will be here tomorrow. The managers at my work are all wondering how I got the radio to work with their radio. I say the wonders of the internet to them. they look at me like wtf lol! then they told me Initiative taken we know you are a great empoyee

bharvey2

The tech and general tests each have 35 questions. The extra class has 50 questions. Each of those questions is drawn from pool of several hundred questions (for a given class, not the entire question pool.) Someone taking the tech test wouldn't be given questions from the higher class' question pools. The pools of question change every few years but as you study from the online sites, I think those sites will tell you when the question pools dates are going to change.

With regard to the cable. The USB cable can have FTDI or Prolific chip sets. Some of the Prolific chip sets counterfeited and may pose reliability problems with drivers. It is sort of a "luck of the draw" as to what will work reliably if you don't know the provenance of your cable. I've been lucky so far but opt for the FTDI when I can get them.

Keep on studying. There are a few linked repeaters that allow communication between your area and mine. Maybe we can have a QSO when you set your license and your radio set up. (When I was in Phoenix a few years ago I ended up talking to my brother's neighbor (also a HAM) who lives here in the San Francisco Bay Area.)

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
The tech and general tests each have 35 questions. The extra class has 50 questions. Each of those questions is drawn from pool of several hundred questions (for a given class, not the entire question pool.) Someone taking the tech test wouldn't be given questions from the higher class' question pools. The pools of question change every few years but as you study from the online sites, I think those sites will tell you when the question pools dates are going to change.

With regard to the cable. The USB cable can have FTDI or Prolific chip sets. Some of the Prolific chip sets counterfeited and may pose reliability problems with drivers. It is sort of a "luck of the draw" as to what will work reliably if you don't know the provenance of your cable. I've been lucky so far but opt for the FTDI when I can get them.

Keep on studying. There are a few linked repeaters that allow communication between your area and mine. Maybe we can have a QSO when you set your license and your radio set up. (When I was in Phoenix a few years ago I ended up talking to my brother's neighbor (also a HAM) who lives here in the San Francisco Bay Area.)
that would be realy cool if we could talk over ham. I am concerned though cause I have a learning disability. I am in collage but my teacher's are really cool they have stuck with me and guided me all threw the three semesters that I have taken so far. I should have failed my drafting class last semester. but my teacher told me that because I stuck with it and I actually learned he was going to pass me with a c. Do you think the person that is giving me the test would help me or is it something that I need to really just memorize? this is the cord I'm getting from amazon

PC03 FTDI Authentic Genuine USB Programming Cable for BaoFeng, Kenwood, Wouxun, AnyTone

Last edited:

bharvey2

To get the best out of the hobby, I'd suggest that you make every effort to learn the material. Like most things, some will stick with you and some things you'll forget. That being said, I'm certain there have been many HAMS who have just memorized the questions and answers. To some degree, I'm sure some knowledge is retained.

I suspect that the VEs (Volunteer Examiners/those giving the test) may offer some help but I don't know to what degree. I know of a number of visually impaired folks who are HAMS (my cousin was one) and unless the test is offered in Braille, I'd guess that some assistance was rendered. Look online for a local HAM club. Many offer test days. Perhaps they could answer that question. Or, if there are any VEs reading this thread, perhaps they could offer suggestions.

N2AL

To get the best out of the hobby, I'd suggest that you make every effort to learn the material. Like most things, some will stick with you and some things you'll forget. That being said, I'm certain there have been many HAMS who have just memorized the questions and answers. To some degree, I'm sure some knowledge is retained.

I suspect that the VEs (Volunteer Examiners/those giving the test) may offer some help but I don't know to what degree. I know of a number of visually impaired folks who are HAMS (my cousin was one) and unless the test is offered in Braille, I'd guess that some assistance was rendered. Look online for a local HAM club. Many offer test days. Perhaps they could answer that question. Or, if there are any VEs reading this thread, perhaps they could offer suggestions.

If you do not pass the first test, don't lose hope! As an aspiring ham I failed my extra test the first go-around. Sometimes you just end up with a bad test with poor questions from the question pool. I took a second extra test the same day and passed! It all depends on the test, so if you fail, take it again the same day.

As a VE we give every person the most help that we lawfully can.

Status
Not open for further replies.