Dropping in to Introduce Myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven89

I've been a member here for a while, apparently. When I went to register I found that my e-mail was already registered to an account here, and by signing in I read that I've never posted here before.

Let me say first, that I am NOT the Steven who was recently incarcerated in Suffolk County, although I currently reside in Suffolk, and at the risk of sounding even more fishy, I came from Queens to Suffolk so use a second address in Queens.

With that said, my name is Steven (as you've probably already gathered), and I'm a student at Stony Brook, in Suffolk. majoring in meteorology. Although this is my first semester here at SBU, I transferred from a community college in Queens and so I'm technically a second-year student. I came from the Forest Hills area of Queens, and visit there on the weekends. (Just came back tonight actually from a weekend trip there.) I'm 19-- and don't intend on stealing radios, nor have I ever stolen anything; swear on my life. To those of you familiar with the recent story that broke on the news about the 18-year-old in Suffolk, I guess only time will prove that I'm not who was arrested. If need be, I'm sure moderators could check my IP address and compare it with the other Steven in question; in fact, I welcome it.

I'm new to the hobby but not to radios. I've been fascinated by it for a while; a family member of mine served in the Marines and dealt with radio communications while serving. Now that I go to a university with a large radio station and someone who may be willing to be an Elmer and help me get a Technician's license, I've put my interest in amateur radio back on the front burner. While it might not be my main priority (sorry, school comes first before anything at this point in my life), it's something I want to pursue, as I'm sure it will come in handy later in life with my career path in the atmospheric sciences. Another of my many hobbies is cigars-- and to any who say it's not a hobby, you're right and wrong in a way-- it's "just smoking" if you're not a cigar smoker, but if you are, it's more than a hobby, it's a way of life.

I look forward to talking to you all, and maybe one day when I get my license, DX with a couple of you guys.

P.S.: I searched and looked for an intro thread but couldn't find one for the life of me. If a moderator knows of one and can transfer this to that thread, or section, please do so (and I'm sorry for not finding it). Thanks.

SCANdal

Silent Key
Valentine's Day is coming...oh, the annual Hell

A hearty welcome aboard to you, from your resident douche-bag (sorry, an inside joke).

Cigar smoker? At 19? Wasn't I just reading somewhere that kids your age have resurrected the art of pipe smoking (a la Sherlock Holmes, not crack)? What's up with you young'ens? You know what it is, don't ya? It's a backlash against the nanny-state my generation and those before me (the so-called "Greatest Generation" and the "Baby-Boomers" who followed) has allowed the country to sink into. With those T.V. ads where the phony medical examiner cuts into a brain to show you what a stroke clot looks like to the ads on the back of city busses that show a women that can now add and subtract in fractions using her fingers... Listen Mike Bloomy, we get it - smoking is bad for you. I don't need my government spending my money telling me so. With guys like Steve around, maybe there is hope for this country after all.

Anyway, best wishes as your work toward getting your ham ticket. You are 100% correct in placing your priorities the way you have. It used to be that having a high school diploma made you the cat's meow. Nowadays, have a Bachelor's on your resume throws you into the dime-a-dozen pile and a Master's is needed to stand out from the crowd. I hope you're at least considering going for some post-graduate work.

SCANdal

Last edited:

Steven89

haha Thanks. If you're labeled a douche for your political ideas, I'm right there with ya.

I have a Briarwood but am not much a fan of pipe tobacco, as it's pretty one-dimensional. I love me a good cigar. Yes, pipe smoking is definitely making a comeback among people my age.
A good ton of people have done research into those ads, and while I won't go into specifics because this isn't a political forum or anything other than radios, to put it plain and simple the ads are bogus and in some ways are dramatized-- nothing but propaganda. I've never picked up a cigarette in my life and don't intend on doing so anytime soon, but come on... If someone wants to smoke, they're gonna smoke, regardless.

I'm definitely going to graduate school. Despite my harsh resentment towards the Feds, I want to work for NASA or the NOAA. Go figure. (My interests in the hobby are a way of regaining some of the freedoms some of us don't think to take for granted, even though it's a federally regulated hobby, if you think about it).

Thanks for the welcome, man.

D

DaveNF2G

Welcome aboard. I also look forward to welcoming you to ham radio when you get around to it. Ditto what SCANdal said about priorities.

BTW, I have a Master's degree and have had the same part time job for over 8 years. YMMV, depending on your discipline. Going for a tech degree will probably make your job search more fruitful than mine has been.

My website plug is in my signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.