Drug-dealing spammers hit Gmail accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Last edited:

04Z1V6

Sorry to drag up an old thread but spammers are hitting google mail again. I purchased ARC500-PRO and I have a google mail account. I only mentioned that software because it is the only thing that I have ever purchased online from China and per the google investigators that is were the attacks to my account came from.
I would like to say. Be carefully I have never had this happen before and I have been using computer sense the days of my TRS-80 and have never had this happen before. I do in no way blame Google or Butel(Arc500pro) but it weird that it happened just after I purchased it.

Damn Spammers :(

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
This is why I NEVER use web-based E-mail for important stuff. Especially G-mail :roll:

Use two E-mail address. One for crap like forum sign ups,etc and one for Paypal, Amazon, etc. Like a Comcast E-mail address. For me, if I see anything that is unfamiliar in the important E-mail address I can easily trace where it might have came from. I know Amazon and PayPal won't sell my E-mail address and I expect no malware attachments in that E-mail either.

Last edited:

brandon

Database Admin
I've been seeing a lot more email hijacks that send out blank messages that contain a random link to some pill website. Usually comes from somebody that has your address harvested from Yahoo Groups or other email list.

poltergeisty

Banned
Whats wrong with Gmail? My opinion, it out beats all the others especially when it comes to filtering spam.

This was just an isolated incident.

What's wrong with it!!?? :lol: I've seen news headline after headline that involves G-mail and fraud,etc. Never have I seen such things with Comcast for example. SPAM filtering need not apply if you know how to use two separate E-mail addresses like I mentioned. YOu keep your golden eggs in one basket and funnel the rest to another. Temp E-mail addresses work great too!

Personally don't need all the fancy G-mail crap. I just want my E-mail deviled into Thunderbird. forgetaboutit!

poltergeisty

Banned
I've been seeing a lot more email hijacks that send out blank messages that contain a random link to some pill website. Usually comes from somebody that has your address harvested from Yahoo Groups or other email list.

There is also a particular malware that will hijack your contacts list. So this is why I tell people who buy from me on eBay to remove my E-mail address form their contacts list if at all possible. I should use another E-mail just for eBay.

TrenchFeeder

Google is investigating a growing number of reports that hackers are breaking into legitimate Gmail accounts and then using them to send spam messages.
The problem started about a week ago but seems to have escalated over the past few days.

Drug-dealing spammers hit Gmail accounts - spam, security, hacking, Google, gmail - ARN

This happened to me about 2 weeks ago. Damm spammers:mad:

I should use another E-mail just for eBay.

True internet security is having a different E-Mail/Login/Password for every website you visit that requires such

You mean they're finally investigating this? As if it hasn't been happening for 20 years?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"I purchased ARC500-PRO and I have a google mail account. I only mentioned that software because it is the only thing that I have ever purchased online from China and per the google investigators that is were the attacks to my account came from."
Google is spot on, most cyber attacks do indeed come from China. Trouble is you're WAY off base, BuTel is in the Netherlands.
http://www.butel.nl/
Take note, nl stands for Netherlands.

"You mean they're finally investigating this? As if it hasn't been happening for 20 years?"
Sarcasm I'm sure, this pops up every few months.

Last edited:

Thayne

That is weird because I have a international charge on my statement that shows a charge to Butel in China.

Ah So--Ancient Chinese secret--Eh?

Someone swiped my CC# from Amazon but the Bank caught it early but they tried to use it again today at Target.com

Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"That is weird because I have a international charge on my statement that shows a charge to Butel in China."
That would most certainly raise my suspicions! Just out of curiosity was that Butel or BuTel, the latter being the correct name. Then which website did you download it from, the one my link points to or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.