Drug Seized Vehicle am I being tracked? by the cartel

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB0VWG

Hello Everyone

I just recently purchased a Jeep Laredo from a Auction on Saturday and i noticed this antenna behind the rearveiw mirror and wondering what it could be. Looks like a cell phone amplifier/Repeater but not sure. i have attached a picture of it below. When I drove the vehicle home on Saturday my scanner did pick a squeal or interference in the 450Mhz area all the way home while I was driving. It could be just be electrical Interference from the Jeep or is it something else?

I don't remember what the frequencies that the lojack transmits on and My wife have noticed 2 different vehicles have driven past my house today that we have never seen before and one vehicle did stop and take pictures of the surraounding area but not right at the vehicle as far as she could tell. We live out in the country and no one hardly ever comes up our road, These 2 vehicles did drive slowly by our house so this makes me a little nervous.

Also how often does a tracking device transmit, Does it still transmit while its parked and turned off?
Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

Attachments

dgruber

I have one of those and i think it is just for the keys to unlock and lock your car from your keys.

KB0VWG

Could be

It is possible I just want to be sure, I am sure its probably nothing but you never know.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

CapStar362

image is too small to see said antenna....... please contact via PM and send me the original "unaltered" pic..... and how do you know "Drug Seized"

lojack is only activated when a LEO unit sends the corresponding transponder ID, uniquely coded to your particular vehicle's lojack transmitter. they are supposed to be deactivated if seized by LEO, and IIRC disabled until a new subscription is purchased by the new owner from the lojack company, and a local tech comes and reprograms the transmitter with the new subscriber info.

i DID find this for you:
LoJack transmits on a radio (RF) carrier frequency of 173.075 MHz. Vehicles with the system installed send a 200 millisecond (ms) chirp every ten seconds on this frequency. When being tracked after reported stolen, the devices send out a 200 ms signal once per second.

but for safety, try to get images of those vehicles with tags if possible... then contact LEO and advise them that they are taking pictures around your residence for no reason.

gruber, most vehicles dont have remote key lock antenna's visible...... AFAIK they are usually inside the main computer under the hood, or in a place that is well hidden.

KB0, does this vehicle have factory GPS?

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ÆS, I put that shøt on everything.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Could be An aftermarket remote starter/alarm system. They usually have an antenna that is double sided taped to the windshield. Every truck I get from work has one. They usually operate around the UHF band. The antennas depend on the manufacturer. Some times a dipole sometimes a little stub.

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
Possible a GPS tracker? I only suggest this because if this is an auction vehicle then it was probably reposed. Some finance companies put GPS trackers on vehicles that have a history of not being payed for. They put them on so they can easily b located and reposed. Most repo cars are put on auction 10 days after being collected. So maybe the finance company never got around to removing their hardware??? Just my 2 cents.

CapStar362

what year is this jeep?

It's a after market remote start or keyless entry antenna

sent from my mobile communication device

why would it be transmitting? if it is in fact the remote start? it should only be receiving....correct? and if its transmitting, and his scanner is picking up the signal..... what is it transmitting?

GPS frequency overview

Band Frequency Description
L1 1575.42 MHz Coarse-acquisition (C/A) and encrypted precision (P(Y)) codes, plus the L1 civilian (L1C) and military (M) codes on future Block III satellites.
L2 1227.60 MHz P(Y) code, plus the L2C and military codes on the Block IIR-M and newer satellites.
L3 1381.05 MHz Used for nuclear detonation (NUDET) detection.
L4 1379.913 MHz Being studied for additional ionospheric correction.[citation needed]
L5 1176.45 MHz Proposed for use as a civilian safety-of-life (SoL) signal.
cant be a GPS Signal.... OP says 450MHz range

did the signal stop when the vehicle was turned off and key removed? does the scanner pick up said signal when keyless remote is triggered?

need more info

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Some remote starters are two way devices. The one in my truck will send confirmation of functions like remote start, or show me, when I arm the alarm, if and which doors are open, and when the run timer is expired. So yes remote starters/ alarms can transmit.

kayn1n32008

CapStar362 said:
what year is this jeep?

It's a after market remote start or keyless entry antenna

sent from my mobile communication device

why would it be transmitting? if it is in fact the remote start? it should only be receiving....correct? and if its transmitting, and his scanner is picking up the signal..... what is it transmitting?

GPS frequency overview

Band Frequency Description
L1 1575.42 MHz Coarse-acquisition (C/A) and encrypted precision (P(Y)) codes, plus the L1 civilian (L1C) and military (M) codes on future Block III satellites.
L2 1227.60 MHz P(Y) code, plus the L2C and military codes on the Block IIR-M and newer satellites.
L3 1381.05 MHz Used for nuclear detonation (NUDET) detection.
L4 1379.913 MHz Being studied for additional ionospheric correction.[citation needed]
L5 1176.45 MHz Proposed for use as a civilian safety-of-life (SoL) signal.
cant be a GPS Signal.... OP says 450MHz range

did the signal stop when the vehicle was turned off and key removed? does the scanner pick up said signal when keyless remote is triggered?

need more info
GPS trackers do not transmit on GPS down link frequencies like L1, L2 ect. Location data is transmitted by cellular or some other medium.

kayn1n32008

On one particular system, when I would put my trcuk into drive I would get a pulsing noise for 15-20 seconds after wards on my old FT-8800 on UHF.

bpckty1

Be careful if you drive in Louisiana.
;^>

Perhaps you should have your acquisitiion/purchase papers with you and ask the local PD/Sheriff/State PD to check your car, just in case there is/are some residue/unfound products. See if they will give you a "NOT ME" letter. Then, have the car completely cleaned by professionals.

KevinC

Super Moderator
I was installing a radio in a seized vehicle once and found narcotics. The vehicle was being used by the agency that seized it so no big deal. But this does show that this can happen.

chrismol1

Premium Subscriber
Some trackers the location coordinates can be sent to a cell phone on command either via text message or map. It can be concealed anywhere in the vehicle since its operated by cellular modem there doesnt need to be an external antenna for reliable coverage and it may either be powered by a battery with limited operation time or hardwired into any 12v line running about the vehicle to operate indefinitely.
Have you found any aftermarket looking black boxes I'd tear into and follow the antennas coax and follow through any wires out of the ordinary

KB0VWG

It could be also garage door opener

The jeep is a 2006 Grand Cherokee Laredo It does not have remote start but it does have 3 buttons for programming the garage door. That could be it but not totally sure, Will take my freq counter and do some more sniffing later. I also plan to have it sniffed by a k9 before I pass the border patrol checkpoint on Easter break. So far I have checked compartments and under the seat and no signs of narcotics or any signs of compartments being tampered with. I just almost finishing installing the radios in teh vehicle and will take pictures possibly this weekend, and will take better pics of the antenna on the glass.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

Status
Not open for further replies.