Dsd 1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck3645

Premium Subscriber
re: NEXEDGE Question

Mark (letarotor),

Great minds think alike...

I spent the last two "ice" daysI adding a tap to a PRO-2041 and setting up a Ubuntu 10.04 boot flash drive for my Acer Netbook.

I'm also having trouble getting any results from the SWRCC system. An occasional Voice or Data hit on the screen, but nothing is decoding.

I work really close to where the ProVoice system is used. Guess I'll take my toys to the office next week and make sure my set up is working correctly.

bowser22

i know you wont hear any voice. i had a hard time saying what i was trying to say. if u plug the disc audio into a speaker u will hear what ur hearing through the scanners built in speaker. the same ****! booya

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Great Minds Indeed!!!

Hey Chuck, what a concidence, do we know each other? If so send a private message, your profile is blocked. Thanks for validating my findings. Apparently whatever they are using down there in Duncanville, DeSoto and Cedar Hill is another mistuned abberation!!! If the same company who set up the MPT-1327 system and couldn't get it operational after two years to acceptable standards set this system up, its no wonder we can't decode it! I can tell you that the DSD program works great on that ProVoice system next to where you work!

Mark

Last edited:

ilgrant

Your discriminiator tap should go into the MIC or the LINE IN. You will not hear the audio coming from the discriminator tap. However, there may be an option to monitor it in Ubuntu. If I remember correctly the default is off.

You should hear decoded audio coming from the speakers connected to the soundcard.

The speaker and earphone/headphone jack on the scanner should work the same as it did before you performed the tap.

Just so that we're sure you're on the right path how did you tap the discriminator? Do you have wires running straight out of the scanner or did you install a jack of some kind?

scankid wrote:
when you plug into the 1/8 jack from the dis tap . then into your pc, soundcard. If it is tapped right, you should hear nothing out of the speaker in the scanner, but you should get decoded audio through your pc's speaker's correct? right or wrong? like as if you plugged it into yhe headphone jack. you can't hear nothing in the scanner speaker only pc's speaker's.

Mark (letarotor),

Great minds think alike...

I spent the last two "ice" daysI adding a tap to a PRO-2041 and setting up a Ubuntu 10.04 boot flash drive for my Acer Netbook.

what model ACER are you using,
i picked up aspire ONE-D250
solely for the purpose of running
DSD..also using 10.04,full install..

im making progress but the audio is still
on the garbled side although i can make out
half by ear..

what settings/set up are you using,,
what model acer?

thanks!

Chuck3645

Premium Subscriber
what model ACER are you using,
i picked up aspire ONE-D250
solely for the purpose of running
DSD..also using 10.04,full install..

im making progress but the audio is still
on the garbled side although i can make out
half by ear..

what settings/set up are you using,,
what model acer?

thanks!

It's an Acer Aspire One D-150 (1.6 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, Realtek audio). I created the boot flash drive using the instructions here:

Put Ubuntu NetBook Remix on Flash Drive in Windows | USB Pen Drive Linux

I just use the default DSD settings and have the input level set to about 50%, but the system I'm trying to monitor seems to be a little screwy and I haven't been successful getting anything to decode.

Read some of the posts here for some other suggestions to get the audio working better.

Good Luck!

scankid

Premium Subscriber
dsd & bc92xlt uniden

My tap is done and not working well. I soldered a 10k resistor to the lnd7 point and then a wire to the pos of a 1/8 or 3.5 audio jack, then a ground from the antenna ground. Nothing is what i got! Do I have to remove the 100 smb I think resistor from the top of circuit board or what? The bc72 ,92,ubc72 ,92 and one or two more have similiar cir board's but all the same tap's. Maybe I'm missing the capacitor 10uf in line?

ilgrant

Which radio did you tap?

Do you have some external amplified speakers that you could plug into the jack that has the tap so that you can hear it?

stop where you are man,

you shouldnt be removing any SMT/SMD components

nor should you be grounding to your ANT out..

TP4 on most GRE-Shak radios,newer anyway
DISCoUT on UNIDENS..if i remember right,its
been a while..

your going to brick your radio dude,,if you have not
already,,stop and have someone who knows do it,
send it out if needed....

good luck man,,

scankid

Premium Subscriber
dsd tap

got my tap done but only with 10k resister. I 'm still getting garbled sound and I have adjusted the sound preferences. anyone know what could be causing this and how to fix?

mancow

Database Admin
Out seems to be hit and miss with combos of pic hardware and radios. I have a tapped ar8000 that doesn't work at all but the same pc connected to a tapped bc15 works perfectly. I have a cf18 tough book that won't work with anything and a cf52 tough book that works great. It's trial and error.

scankid

Premium Subscriber
dis tap

What do a 10 uf inline capactor do for dis tap? I'm thinking it might regulate the signal going to the soundcard and eliminate the garlbing but I"M only guessing on that one. Anyone know for sure because I'll have to go and get one somewhere and install to see what happen's?

WV8VFD

Well, looking at the output for that scanner you dont need a capacator. Just a resistor. Are you sure your line in or mic volume isnt cranked up? If it is all the way up it will over drive the audo. I had to play around with the line in setting to get good decode. Also as others have said, do not ground to the antenna jack

ilgrant

Couple of thoughts...

1. The signal going into the radio isn't very strong

2. Maybe I missed it but if you are running DSD on Ubuntu in Windows that could be an issue. I think I read one instance where someone had a problem decoding with this combination. My experience wasn't good, either.

3. Line/Mic input volume too high or low.

If you have a P25 system in the area I would try that first as you may get better results.

scankid

Premium Subscriber
disc tap

my disc tap on the uniden bc92xlt . The output of the tap goes up if I turn the volume up and also the squelch. Is this suppose to work like that or should you have no control over the tap's output level? ex: when trying to decode nxdn 4800/idas the percentage rate is low when the volume is low , but if I put a set of headphones in the headphone jack to basicly mute the speaker or so I can't hear the speaker, then turn the volume up then the percentage rate goes up to the 90 to 97 range . I though the dis tap had it own output level?

aurasouza

Help!!!!

Digital Speech Decoder Install 1.4 on linux
mint and running out the following:
Digital Speech Decoder 1.4.1
mbelib version 1.2.3
Error, couldn't open /dev/audio
ioctl reset error
ioctl speed error
ioctl stereo error
ioctl setfmt error
Audio In/Out Device: /dev/audio

but does not recognize any function

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
ScanKid,
Try just a 1.0uf tantalum capacitor (RS#272-1434) in line to the computer audio jack. Thats all I use and have never had a problem. Make sure the + lead is connected to the output or audio connection side, not the tapped side.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.