DSDPlus DSD+ 2.268 HackRF One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to set up DSD+ 2.268 with a HackRF One over usb. The FMP24 does not see it as an RTL SDR device. How can I get this to work? Thanks in advance.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I am trying to set up DSD+ 2.268 with a HackRF One over usb. The FMP24 does not see it as an RTL SDR device. How can I get this to work? Thanks in advance.

Are HackRF's supported? I had never heard that they were. You could send a HackRF to dsdplusfastlane@gmail.com and maybe he/she/it will provide support for it in future versions. If the author doesn't have a HackRF, he likely cannot or would not add support for it.

Mike

Are HackRF's supported?

So with the public release you can just use SDR#+HackRF and DSD can decode the audio stream. However I wanted support for APCO P-25 Phase II, so I paid for FastLane. Now it wants to control the radio directly. Is it possible to still use SDR# and have DSD+ tune the radio through that? Also for context, I want to use a single receiver.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
So with the public release you can just use SDR#+HackRF and DSD can decode the audio stream. However I wanted support for APCO P-25 Phase II, so I paid for FastLane. Now it wants to control the radio directly. Is it possible to still use SDR# and have DSD+ tune the radio through that? Also for context, I want to use a single receiver.

I believe that in order to copy LSM or PHase II systems you need to enable PSK optimizations in DSDPlus. How does one do that, I have no clue. But every time I've suggested that one _must_ use FMP* + DSDPlus Fast Lane TCP-linked together, somebody has come back and said that it isn't true - and that i could run SDR# and DSDPlus and enable PSK optimizations.

So see if you can find how to enable PSK optimizations. I'd probably start by searching all of the TXT files for "PSK"

-mp used to be a switch that you could use in DSDPlus I believe, but the latest versions of DSDPlus Fast Lane do not support "-mp". So maybe there is some other way to enable PSK optimizations.

At any rate, as far as it wanting to control the radio directly, simply do this:

Control --> select "Passive Digital MOnitor"
Input --> Select your virtual cable that is piping audio from SDR#

NOTE: I think it's going to complain by default if either you are trying to monitor a P2 system or an LSM system. I don't know how to get around that without the "-mp" switch being available.

Mike

Last edited:

slicerwizard

Just get an orange FlightAware Pro Stick for twenty bucks on Amazon. Trunk tracks 400 and 700 MHz Phase II just fine for me with Fast Lane.

So I switched to a crappy RTL SDR dongle. I really love how great the signal is on the HackRF, so I will follow up on trying to get it running later. So I have FMP24 running and it is set to the CC. Now when I run CC.bat is shows the following. I thought it may be a firewall or AntiVirus problem so I disabled them to no avail.Capture1.JPG

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
If you use the example bat files:

FMP24-CC.bat : FMP24 -rc -i1 -o20001 -P0.0 -f935.0
1R.bat : DSDPlus -r1 -T -E -Pwav -i20001 >>1R-log.txt

Then by default, FMP24 (the "server") will be listening on localhost:20001 TCP, waiting for a connection from DSDPlus on localhost:20001 TCP.

If FMP24 is not running, or if it is running but couldn't find a dongle, or if FMP24 is running but listening on a different port than DSDPlus is trying to connect on, you are going to get the error that you are getting.

The example above is right from the sample batch files. If you have those two batch files, and you run them both, and FMP24 detects a dongle, there should be no reason for things not to work unless you have some lousy firewall / AV software on your computer preventing the connection over localhost:20001 TCP.

Mike

slicerwizard

I get link error -5 any way I launch it.
You didn't answer the question.

If you use the example bat files:

FMP24-CC.bat : FMP24 -rc -i1 -o20001 -P0.0 -f935.0
1R.bat : DSDPlus -r1 -T -E -Pwav -i20001 >>1R-log.txt

Then by default, FMP24 (the "server") will be listening on localhost:20001 TCP, waiting for a connection from DSDPlus on localhost:20001 TCP.
Those batch files will get FMP24 and DSD+ talking via direct link (not TCP) - unless someone hasn't updated FMP24...

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
You didn't answer the question.

Those batch files will get FMP24 and DSD+ talking via direct link (not TCP) - unless someone hasn't updated FMP24...

Ok, whatever. Point is it should work flawlessly if those two batch files are used (assuming FMP24 can find a dongle).

So I ran it every way stated and get the link error -5 server not listening. I hope the program gets moved along fast because I just installed sdrtrunk and it is working out of the box with my HackRF and decoding up to 6 voice channels at the same time. Also I am sending the stream to Broadcastify Calls ingest server right from the GUI. I hope the developer can use the beer money I sent to get us there. I can't wait to see where the project goes. The number of protocols that DSD+ FL decodes is so awesome. It just isn't there in the GUI or installation friendliness.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
So I ran it every way stated and get the link error -5 server not listening. I hope the program gets moved along fast because I just installed sdrtrunk and it is working out of the box with my HackRF and decoding up to 6 voice channels at the same time. Also I am sending the stream to Broadcastify Calls ingest server right from the GUI. I hope the developer can use the beer money I sent to get us there. I can't wait to see where the project goes. The number of protocols that DSD+ FL decodes is so awesome. It just isn't there in the GUI or installation friendliness.

The program is quite refined. It's been around since December 2013, regularly developed. There are few bugs. It requires minimal resources for operation, less than any other equivalent type of software. It was never built as a streamer. Developers need more than beer money. If your goal is to send to Broadcastify calls, there are quite a number of options -- and SDRTrunk is one of the best for streaming, recording traffic.

The fact that you can't get DSDPlus FL working with a simple dongle suggests you have other problems -- maybe that crappy dongle is 10 years old and doesn't even deserve to be supported. A $20-25 dollar dongle of recent vintage will work perfectly with DSDPlus assuming you've installed everything correctly.

SMH

Mike

The fact that you can't get DSDPlus FL working with a simple dongle

The HackRF is one: Not simple. Two: Not 10 years old. And Three: not cheap. $200+ US. I like how you guys are assuming that it's user error even though I have provided the error code that was provided to me by the program and nobody knows what that error code means.

air-scan

None of the documentation for any FMPx includes a mention of HackRF anywhere. It does not use the RTL2832U ADC. It uses the MAX5864 ADC. It is not possible to spoof the HackRF as a RTL-SDR.

HackRF Hardware components:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The HackRF is one: Not simple. Two: Not 10 years old. And Three: not cheap. $200+ US. I like how you guys are assuming that it's user error even though I have provided the error code that was provided to me by the program and nobody knows what that error code means.

Stop trying to get HackRF to work. Try using a plain dongle and follow the directions mentioned previously and it will work just fine. If you dont have a regular cheap dongle, an Airspy, or an SDRplay device, then you have to pipe the raw audio into DSDPlus with other SDR software and a virtual cable.

I may have forgotten some other device that is supported. But I don’t think a HackRF is, not with FMP*

Stop trying to get HackRF to work. Try using a plain dongle and follow the directions mentioned previously and it will work just fine. If you dont have a regular cheap dongle, an Airspy, or an SDRplay device, then you have to pipe the raw audio into DSDPlus with other SDR software and a virtual cable.

I may have forgotten some other device that is supported. But I don’t think a HackRF is, not with FMP*
You guys are not understanding. I am trying to get it working as intended with a sdr that it does recognize. It will not run. Keep getting error code-5. Yes I want it to work with the HackRF but that is out of the question right now. The problem is with communications on 20001. I have followed all instructions to the T and get the same error. It can see my RTL SDR and audio output, so that's not the problem.

RakkFO

Premium Subscriber
As @mtindor and others have indicated the program works. We just need to find out why it is not working in your case. Lets back up a little because I am not quite sure what you intention is:

You are using an RTL SDR to monitor a P25 P2 system correct?

What system is it?

Is your SDR a NooElec or an RTL SDR dongle by chance?

Do you want to monitor the control channel and the voice channels with one dongle?

When you open your DSD+ folder can you take a screen shot and show us what batch files you are using?

RakkFO

Premium Subscriber
Just an after thought have you tried the DSDPlusUI software? I have not used it because I have great success with the DSD product the way it is but others that are not comfortable with command line and .txt files may be more comfortable with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.