DSD and SDR Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmerenbloom

I am trying to follow these directions (https://sites.google.com/site/policescannerhowto/) to follow the digital trunking system in my county. I am able to follow all of the steps and everything seems to be working until step 20. I have everything set up exactly as the directions state.

My problem is that DSD seems to being doing absolutely nothing. You can see my screen shot.
Unitrunker appears to be tracking all of the calls, but it's not directing SDR# to tune to the respective frequencies.

I suspect there may be a problem with Unitrunker's "sdrsharptrunking" file. Here's the text of that:

action receiver frequency trunkgroup trunklabel
Park Discriminator 851500000​

What should that file actually look like?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Or is there just a better way to do this overall with SDR? Because I can't afford an actual scanner :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• SDR PrintScrn.jpg
    SDR PrintScrn.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 312

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
So you never see the active frequency move in SDR# when Unitrunker thinks there's an active call? Don't worry about DSD until that works.

1. Does the contents of sdrsharptrunking.log ever change if you open it when there's an active call?

2. Are you sure the sdrsharptrunking.log file is in the directory you've picked for "Unitrunker Install Directory" in the SDR# plugin? By default, I believe that Unitrunker data (including the log file) does not get created in the program folder but in the application data folder. You can open the correct one by clicking on the folder icon in UniTrunker.

3. Is "Listen" enabled in Unitrunker options?

4. Have you tried a newer version of SDR#? I know it may not be necessary.

joeuser

The Wretched
Since you asked, its much easier to drop SDR# & just use Unitrunker, it supports the 820T USB dongles natively now. I had a heck of a time getting SDR# to work & once I dropped it & went to Unitrunker alone I was able to listen in on my P25p1 system rather easily. Just a suggestion, as you requested...

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 - Windows Phone 8.1 using Tapatalk

cmerenbloom

I did finally get it to work- I re-installed Unitrunker and played around with the order in which I opened the three programs and eventually it started working.

joeuser- do you know where I can find some instructions on how to use Unitrunker directly with the USB dongle? Thanks!

joeuser

The Wretched
Not sure if I found something on Unitrunker site, rtl-SDR.com, or figured it out based off the two. I think the software & hobby itself changes so much & fast - its hard to keep up.

In a nutshell - in unitrunker you assign the signal to one dongle, voice to the other, do settings esp. oscillation drift, uncheck! Deemphasis !!! (each time - it defaults on), dsd+ should be fine if you point UT properly. This is just an overview but after messing around with SDR # for weeks... UT by itself was just a breeze. Sdr# is great, mind you but... Well you'll see. :)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 - Windows Phone 8.1 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.