DSD+ Channel Activity window never populates on one P25 trunked system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jl2s

Is there anything I can do to fix this:

On one P25 trunk system (system came online in 2018) , DSD+ FL never populates the Channel Activity Window. Always remains blank. The Event Log window does, however, populate.

However, if I park FMP24 on a frequency other than the Control Channel, and wait for voice traffic, DSD+ has no problem decoding the voice P25p1. It comes in very clear. But this does me no good, since DSD+ will not follow this trunk system when parked on the CC

This is the system I'm talking about.

If you click the link above, (I'm refering to 000C5.011 and site 001 - I can't reach the second site, too far away) you will notice the system has multiple Control Channels, and they switch off throughout the day, sometimes a CC only lasts for a few minutes. Sometimes hours. But I have never seen it last an entire day.

This is what my DSDPlus.P25data file looks like (I have deleted some line spaces for purposes of posting to make it less bulky):
Network: 000C5.011
Site: 1.1 NAC=011
Neighbor: 000C5.011-1.2
Channel 0-533: VOICE
Channel 0-645: VOICE
Channel 0-745: VOICE
Channel 0-813: VOICE DATA
Channel 0-861: VOICE
Channel 0-1021: VOICE
Channel 0-1281: VOICE DATA
Channel 0-1345: VOICE
Site: 1.2
Channel 0-1045: CC

Channel 0-1053: CC

Notice, no frequencies are in the DSDPlus.P25data file.
I have attempted to manually edit the file with the frequencies, but it does not fix anything.

I am attaching a screenshot showing DSD+ working, showing the Event Log window populated, but the Channel Activity window blank.

What can I do to fix this please?
Someone once suggested I upload some recording of the CC to the DSD+ email site.
I have emailed them two short recordings (I think around 20 seconds and one around a minute, slightly less).
I have uploaded it to the DSD+ email address, I did this many weeks ago. I never heard back. I fully understand they have other more pressing issues, so maybe they haven't even had time to look at it.

Is there anything I can do?

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you press n in DSD+, does it populate a bandplan? I don't see one in DSDPlus.P25data, which is unusual and could explain why no frequencies are showing up...the software doesn't know how to calculate them if no band plan is being broadcast.

Are you able to look at this site in Unitrunker to see if a bandplan comes up and if it decodes properly?

This probably won't make much difference, but you shouldn't need to have the tight bandwidth filter enabled, so press uppercase T in FMP24 to disable that.

jl2s

If you press n in DSD+, does it populate a bandplan? I don't see one in DSDPlus.P25data, which is unusual and could explain why no frequencies are showing up...the software doesn't know how to calculate them if no band plan is being broadcast.

I Pressed n - it did not populate the channel activity window.

Are you able to look at this site in Unitrunker to see if a bandplan comes up and if it decodes properly?

I currently don't have Unitrunker installed, but this system works in SDRtrunk which I have tested and currently listen to the system using. Also it works on a standalone scanner (unfortunately I don't own a standalone scanner, I merely asked someone I barely know who has a standalone radio to see if it worked, he said it does).

In regards to UniTrunker, are you refering to the older 32bit version or the newer version which I believe is 64 bit only? I only have a 32 bit OS at the moment.

This probably won't make much difference, but you shouldn't need to have the tight bandwidth filter enabled, so press uppercase T in FMP24 to disable that.

Tried that also. Nothing. Also tried to manually set bandwidth to 12.5, also nothing.
Voice decodes on non CC are very crystal clear. Just can't follow the trunking.

Thank You for advice.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The 32 bit version of Unitrunker is fine, 1.0.33.6 was the last release. Give that a shot, and see what you come up with (you can add your RTL dongle as a receiver). If a bandplan is being broadcast over the control channel, it will appear on the Band Plan tab in Unitrunker once it starts decoding the control channel.

http://www.unitrunker.com/download/

jl2s

The 32 bit version of Unitrunker is fine, 1.0.33.6 was the last release. Give that a shot, and see what you come up with (you can add your RTL dongle as a receiver). If a bandplan is being broadcast over the control channel, it will appear on the Band Plan tab in Unitrunker once it starts decoding the control channel.

http://www.unitrunker.com/download/

UniTrunker shows the channel frequencies.

Attachments

• unitrunker3.jpg
    unitrunker3.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 26
  • unitrunker2.jpg
    unitrunker2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 30
  • unitrunker.jpg
    unitrunker.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 26

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Indeed it does, so something is preventing DSD+ from functioning correctly.

Post the contents of your DSD+ batch/startup files so we can take a look.

In the meanwhile, you can also blank out that DSDPlus.P25data file, see if that helps. Don't delete the file itself, just wipe out the contents and save it (preferably with DSD+ shut down).

jl2s

Indeed it does, so something is preventing DSD+ from functioning correctly.

Post the contents of your DSD+ batch/startup files so we can take a look.

start FMP24.exe -i1 -o20001 -P0.3 -b-9.5 -a1 -f857.3875 -g19.6 -wsl5.5 -_1
TIMEOUT /T 5
DSDPlus -r1 -f1 -Pwav -i20001 >>1R-log.txt

I also have an AirSpy R2 which uses FMPA. But it doesn't work either.
Additionally, I've run DSDtune and can use these values: "-ds61 -dd97 -dv4"
But, in reality, without the DSDtune values, I can park on a voice channel with DSD+ 2.205 and it decodes crystal clear.

And I might add, this trunk system was born in 2018, so I've used every DSD+ since the system first came out, and it has never worked. I've always been hoping with each new release my problem would be gone.

And whenever a new DSD+ FL release comes out, I've always done a clean install of DSD 1.01 in a new directory, and then copied over the new FL release files. The P25 trunk systems which I follow, work wonderfully. Including Phase 2 systems. This particular system is only Phase 1 I believe.

One other note, I tried using two dongles and also the 1 dongle setup, neither of which populates the channel activity window.
I have 2 RTL-SDR silver v3 dongles, 1 Nesdr Smart dongle, 1 Airspy R2, and 4 generic cheap dongles, nothing populates the channel activity window.

Antenna is a discone. Signal is good. Using LNA4all preamp.

In the meanwhile, you can also blank out that DSDPlus.P25data file, see if that helps. Don't delete the file itself, just wipe out the contents and save it (preferably with DSD+ shut down).

Yes I have tried that multiple times. Nothing. I close everything down, I then edit the DSDPlus.P25data file and make it blank.
Restart everthing. And the DSDPlus.P25data file repopulates without any frequencies:

; DSD+ 2.205; P25 data
;
; this file is auto-maintained by DSD+
;
; editing of this file should be limited to removal of data known to be incorrect or outdated

MHzDecimalPad = 0 ; controls how DSD+ formats all channel frequencies; range = 0 to 6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Network: 000C5.011

Site: 1.1 NAC=011

Neighbor: 000C5.011-1.2

Channel 0-645: VOICE
Channel 0-745: VOICE
Channel 0-813: VOICE DATA
Channel 0-861: VOICE
Channel 0-1281: VOICE DATA
Channel 0-1345: VOICE

Site: 1.2

Channel 0-1053: CC

; 11 records

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Add -rc to the FMP24 line; that puts it into control channel follow mode.

And whenever a new DSD+ FL release comes out, I've always done a clean install of DSD 1.01 in a new directory, and then copied over the new release files. My other P25 trunk systems which I follow, work wonderfully. Including Phase 2 systems. This particular system is only Phase 1 I believe.
Don't do that. Fast Lane distributions are intended to be cumulative, meaning new releases often depend on you having previous versions of files already in place. When you wipe everything out and go all the way back to 1.101, you're losing files that the latest releases depend on.

I would suggest that you email DSD+ and request a full Fast Lane distribution, mentioning that you've potentially lost some files between 1.101 and the latest FL release 2.205

jl2s

Don't do that. Fast Lane distributions are intended to be cumulative, meaning new releases often depend on you having previous versions of files already in place. When you wipe everything out and go all the way back to 1.101, you're losing files that the latest releases depend on.

I would suggest that you email DSD+ and request a full Fast Lane distribution, mentioning that you've potentially lost some files between 1.101 and the latest FL release 2.205

I've been a member since early 2017, so I have a backup of all releases to that point.

Do you think I should email them a recording of the CC, say a minute's worth?

I already have emailed them in the beginning of this summer, but they never replied back.
I sent them 2 emails, one with about a 20 second recording, and one with about a 1 minute recording.

I emailed the same email address that sends the new FL release announcements.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Still, it's counterproductive to start with a clean install of 1.101. When a new FL release comes out, simply copy the new files into the existing directory, overwriting the old ones.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Hmm, looks like @slicerwizard diagnosed the same issue three months ago...DSD+ is not decoding the bandplan for that site, for whatever reason.

slicerwizard

What can I do to fix this please?
Someone once suggested I upload some recording of the CC to the DSD+ email site.
I have emailed them two short recordings (I think around 20 seconds and one around a minute, slightly less).
I have uploaded it to the DSD+ email address, I did this many weeks ago. I never heard back. I fully understand they have other more pressing issues, so maybe they haven't even had time to look at it.

Is there anything I can do?
This sounds like something that they would want to fix. Maybe your email ended up in their spam folder? I would try contacting them again, perhaps with no attachments in your email. Or upload some raw CC audio somewhere (here, if it's short/small enough) and we can all send it to them. :)

jl2s

Hmm, looks like @slicerwizard diagnosed the same issue three months ago...DSD+ is not decoding the bandplan for that site, for whatever reason.

Yes thats when I believe I was told to email the DSD+ team. And I emailed them the next day after that posting. I mistakenly thought I aksed the question on reddit, but now I remember it was here.

Or upload some raw CC audio somewhere (here, if it's short/small enough) and we can all send it to them. :)

That might work better! I was thinking maybe their system blocks emails with attachments. I will add an attachment of the CC recording in my next message. If someone could please forward it to the DSD+ team somehow, please. Thanks.

jl2s

Raw audio recording from DSD+ 2.205 of the Control Channel
Two files encloses. One is a bit over 1 minute, one is about 30 seconds.

This is the Trunk System in question.

If the DSD+ team could kindly look at this. The bandplan does not show up in DSD+ 2.205 or any earlier FL releases.
Nothing appears in the channel activity window. The event log window does show action.

Attachments

• 1R-DSDPlus-Raw-Input_2019-09-19@172308.zip
    285.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 1R-DSDPlus-Raw-Input_2019-09-19@171952.zip
    135.3 KB · Views: 6

remedy44

Premium Subscriber
Its missing the band plan i just add one to DSDPlus.P25data and decoding no problem
Bandplan #0: Base=851.00625 Offset=45 Spacing=6.25 BW=12.5 slot 1

jl2s

Its missing the band plan i just add one to DSDPlus.P25data and decoding no problem

It worked thanks!!!
I was wondering if it would follow the CC since the CC channel flips between 5 or 6 fequencies, sometimes changes within minutes, sometimes a few hours at most. It does follow the CC.

So solution for me was with DSD+ and FMP24 or FMPA running, I edited the DSDPlus.P25data file and just copied/pasted the line:

Works.

Thanks to GTR8000 for spending so much time replying to me. Thanks to slicerwizard for suggesting I post the CC raw audio here. Still hope the DSD+ team could one day take a look and fix whatever the reason DSD+ isn't catching the bandplan.
And thanks to remedy44 for telling me to edit the DSDPlus.P25data file and manually adding the bandplan line.

Status
Not open for further replies.