DSD+ FL 2.39 on DMR system

Status
Not open for further replies.

smw87110

I'm using FMP24 and DSD+ FastLane 2.39 to decode a local DMR Tier II system. I am getting quite a bit of good audio out, but looks like I'm also getting frequent error codes and am not quite sure what they mean. Attached is a sample of the command prompt readout for DSD. Any tips or troubleshooting, or explanation of what the error codes I'm seeing mean or where I can find information on them, would be much appreciated.

Also, this system appears to transmit at regular intervals, (seen in the attachment with multiple connections that say BS DATA IDLE. There is another frequency with DMR locally here and it does not transmit regularly like this. Any ideas what this could be? Is there data being sent and if so is there a way to see it? I see no indication of encryption on the readout, and decryption is not what I'm asking. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• log of cmd data.txt
    139.4 KB · Views: 104

slicerwizard

I'm using FMP24 and DSD+ FastLane 2.39 to decode a local DMR Tier II system. I am getting quite a bit of good audio out, but looks like I'm also getting frequent error codes and am not quite sure what they mean.
They mean the signal you're feeding DSD+ isn't perfect.

Attached is a sample of the command prompt readout for DSD. Any tips or troubleshooting, or explanation of what the error codes I'm seeing mean or where I can find information on them, would be much appreciated.
They mean you have to clean up the signal...

Also, this system appears to transmit at regular intervals, (seen in the attachment with multiple connections that say BS DATA IDLE. There is another frequency with DMR locally here and it does not transmit regularly like this. Any ideas what this could be?
It's probably just how the repeater is set up.

Is there data being sent and if so is there a way to see it? I see no indication of encryption on the readout, and decryption is not what I'm asking. Thanks in advance.
If there was, you'd see it in the console log. Idle means just that. Idle. Not doing or sending anything of importance (except maybe announcing that the frequency is taken and any interlopers should go elsewhere)

smw87110

They mean the signal you're feeding DSD+ isn't perfect.

They mean you have to clean up the signal...

It's probably just how the repeater is set up.

If there was, you'd see it in the console log. Idle means just that. Idle. Not doing or sending anything of importance (except maybe announcing that the frequency is taken and any interlopers should go elsewhere)

Ok but what I'm asking is how do I know how I need to clean up the signal based on the error codes. It's a strong signal receiving well. I've adjusted a lot of factors to maximize the signal quality. The audio is very good but not excellent. Just trying to get some input from the error codes as to how to improve it.

And as far as the idle broadcasts it just seemed odd that two frequencies using the same repeaters out of the same dispatch center would be set up so differently. So wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
DSDPlus released a program a while back that does what you want. It runs on the signal and tells you the best settings in DSD to use for it. Or another way to put it it tells you what settings you need to use to decode it best.

Its a great little program. I'm afraid you'll have to search for it or maybe someone else can tell you where to find it as I don't remember. It was called DSD Tune I believe but don't quote me.

slicerwizard

Ok but what I'm asking is how do I know how I need to clean up the signal based on the error codes. It's a strong signal receiving well. I've adjusted a lot of factors to maximize the signal quality. The audio is very good but not excellent. Just trying to get some input from the error codes as to how to improve it.
If it's a strong signal, then something else is off. What's your signal source? A tapped scanner? SDR? What SDR software and how is it set up? Maybe there's an interfering signal, maybe something else.

Raw audio samples are the easiest way to tell what's wrong with someone's setup.

And as far as the idle broadcasts it just seemed odd that two frequencies using the same repeaters out of the same dispatch center would be set up so differently. So wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
Hm, might be as simple as one checkbox set differently.

smw87110

If it's a strong signal, then something else is off. What's your signal source? A tapped scanner? SDR? What SDR software and how is it set up? Maybe there's an interfering signal, maybe something else.

Raw audio samples are the easiest way to tell what's wrong with someone's setup.
I'm using SDR through FMP24 via VAC to DSD+. FMP24 seemed to result in better audio decoding than SDR#. I am working on getting the data to go through TCP instead of VAC currently. Also working on upgrading the antenna.

Hm, might be as simple as one checkbox set differently.
I keep trying to apply logic and standardization to government. Oops.

slicerwizard

I'm using SDR through FMP24 via VAC to DSD+.
Red flag #1. IIRC, I had similar issues with VAC (some raw audio glitching). Also IIRC, I had fewer issues with VB Cable.

I am working on getting the data to go through TCP instead of VAC currently.
Just delete the copy of FMP24.exe you're using now and replace it with the FMP24.exe that came with DSD+ 2.32.

Also working on upgrading the antenna.
Ah, possible red flag #2.

smw87110

Red flag #1. IIRC, I had similar issues with VAC (some raw audio glitching). Also IIRC, I had fewer issues with VB Cable.
I would think TCP is ideal vs any virtual cable?

Just delete the copy of FMP24.exe you're using now and replace it with the FMP24.exe that came with DSD+ 2.32.
I will try this tonight when I get home.

Ah, possible red flag #2.
Yeah I have an indoor whip antenna at this point, adjusted in length for the frequency I'm trying to monitor. Trying to figure out best options for upgrading since the nearby frequencies are all over the map, VHF, UHF, 800s, 900s. Not sure I can justify a full outdoor roof mount wide band antenna at the moment. I'm currently monitoring and decoding a VHF frequency.

slicerwizard

I would think TCP is ideal vs any virtual cable?
I would think so. Also, I think virtual cable glitching is more common on slower machines. I'm looking at FMP24 --> VB Cable --> DSD+ audio on a decent machine right now and I can't spot any glitching. It was definitely more common with VAC on an Atom based laptop. Too many variables to pin down exactly what the glitch source was.

Yeah I have an indoor whip antenna at this point, adjusted in length for the frequency I'm trying to monitor. Trying to figure out best options for upgrading since the nearby frequencies are all over the map, VHF, UHF, 800s, 900s. Not sure I can justify a full outdoor roof mount wide band antenna at the moment. I'm currently monitoring and decoding a VHF frequency.
For VHF, some sort of counterpoise would likely help. Try a flat baking pan or some aluminum foil or some horizontal radials. FYI, I found that the five foot telescopic whips that come with the rtl-sdr.com dongles are great indoor performers. I just fully extend them for all monitored frequencies and it seems like they manage to find the vertical sweet spot where a given signal is strongest. Hm, I have some high quality CATV coax that has a solid steel center conductor - that material should make nice radials and magmounts will stick to it. Just need to ensure good electrical or capacitive coupling...

SDRBlogImage_1.jpg

tikev

Also, this system appears to transmit at regular intervals, (seen in the attachment with multiple connections that say BS DATA IDLE. There is another frequency with DMR locally here and it does not transmit regularly like this. Any ideas what this could be? Is there data being sent and if so is there a way to see it? I see no indication of encryption on the readout, and decryption is not what I'm asking. Thanks in advance.

Those bursts are usually present when IP Site Connect is enabled. It allows radios to choose the site with the best signal within the network, or if they need to roam.

smw87110

Thanks tikev for that info. I didn't notice any significant difference in the decoding errors when looking at the raw logs on the new DSD settings, but I did notice the voice quality has improved quite a bit. Still occasional glitches but not nearly as many, and it sounds generally clearer..

smw87110

They are really starting to test this system out. There are events listed for text messages, radio stun and kill, private calls, encrypted private calls, remote monitoring, radio checks, call alerts. The text message was decoded as well. So I think it's working well.

Status
Not open for further replies.