dsd in niagara region

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
Are there any radio systems in the niagara region of ont. that are using say provoice, mototrbo? Any close to buffalo? Just wondering what I can try this software on. Thanks for the time.

crossfire291

I'm going to say that there is now MOTOTRBO in the Immediate Niagara area, and not immediately across the border. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure.

Sarnia has MOTORBO.....you should go down there and try the program out. There is nothing to listen to in Sarnia except EMS, and whatever can be picked up across the boarder.

VE3JSO

I'm going to say that there is now MOTOTRBO in the Immediate Niagara area, and not immediately across the border. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure.

Sarnia has MOTORBO.....you should go down there and try the program out. There is nothing to listen to in Sarnia except EMS, and whatever can be picked up across the boarder.

you can still listen to sarnia fire as well but it is a hit or miss since the repeater is analog and you will only get the tac comms not dispatch
and if you are in toronto in near future check out rogers centre they are mototrbo

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I can almost guarantee there will be TRBO somewhere around the falls. It's becoming a very popular platform for commercial users. Personally I would start by searching the UHF bands... I usually break it down into sections... 406 - 415, 415-425, 440-450, 450-460, 460-470. You will notice I don't typically search 425 thru 440... I've yet to hear any TRBO in my travels in this range, but that's certainly not to say it may not be used in your area. Also check VHF, say 140 thru 174 (again in smaller chunks). Give each search time to run thru several times. If nobody happens to be talking when you are searching you can quite often find the idle 'braaaaap' that a TRBO repeater will give off every 10 seconds or so (varies by system). If you aren't sure what you are listening for, check out this link.. http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/TRBO.mp3 The idle burst normally sounds like the first few seconds of that clip.

Last edited:

crossfire291

you can still listen to sarnia fire as well but it is a hit or miss since the repeater is analog and you will only get the tac comms not dispatch

When I was living in Sarnia I was never able to pick up anything from Sarnia Fire. It was hit or miss on the county depts though.

I can almost guarantee there will be TRBO somewhere around the falls.

I was only thinking about emergency services, and completely forgot that all sorts of companies use radios. I would imagine you're correct in saying that someone must have TRBO in and around the Falls area.

VE3JSO

When I was living in Sarnia I was never able to pick up anything from Sarnia Fire. It was hit or miss on the county depts though.
ah i think sarnia fire has to have a truck in the area with a repeater turned on i live near stations 2 and 4 and i hear them doing test on it all the time

crossfire291

This is why I was confused a couple years ago when I was asking about Sarnia Fire. They use TRBO to dispatch, but the Tac channels, where you think they would want privacy, and encryption, they are using analog. Someone doesn't have their head screwed in correctly.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
This is why I was confused a couple years ago when I was asking about Sarnia Fire. They use TRBO to dispatch, but the Tac channels, where you think they would want privacy, and encryption, they are using analog. Someone doesn't have their head screwed in correctly.

No.... not exactly. The system is digital WITH an analog VR. So TAC 1, TAC 2, TAC 3 (Dispatch) and TAC 5 are all digital, all MotoTRBO. But what they can do is switch on an analog repeater at a scene if they are having problems with the digital comms. So the portables back to the trucks would be analog, then the analog is basically patched back into the digital system. Make sense? :)

In a normal situation though, the VR is not used and all comms are digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.