DSD Plus fastlane with RTL error opening device

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
While executing the FMP24 -CC bat file I get the Cant open RTL-SDR device #1 error. I have two RTL-SDR NooElect SMARtee dongles installed and yes they work and I have reinstalled the ZADIG drivers and rebooted my computer and the error is persistent. These dongles work perfectly for UNITRUNKER without any hassles. Why DSD cant opens this device, I have no clue. However, I suggest that these .bat files should not use a device number or have the ability to also index the RTL Device with a serial number like used in Piaware and other programs/ apps that use two RTL devices.77199

Also my device manager shows two devices installed but DSD is showing for 3.

DRL-XM43

Also only select the 1 and not the 0 dongle in ZADIG.
Also include a device # in FMP24 bat like
-i1 is dongle 1
-i2 is dongle 2 and so forth

slicerwizard

Ensure the DLL files in the DSD+ folder are up to date. I'd also try a reboot.

And if FMP24 reports more devices than you have, try the higher numbers, like -i2 and -i3 instead of -i1 and -i2.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
I have the latest update to DSD Plus Fastlane as of yesterday, the zadig drivers have been installed for some time now since I have used SDR Console for my HF radio listening. As you see by the pictures the devices are indexed as described above. I have asked a few people on different forums and they ran into this problem since an update occurred. My suggestion is not to use an index number but serialize the dongle and allow the bat files to register to those serial numbers. Its an easy process with SDR Console to add a serial number to the dongle. 77207

Attachments

• serial.PNG
    serial.PNG
    13.6 KB · Views: 81

TheButcher

My two dongles come up as "Bulk-In, Interface (Interface 0)" and of course 1 (as I have 2 RTL dongles).

Oh and I disabled the IR ports on the dongles using "rtl_eeprom".

See this...

"So yea... Run cmd to launch command prompt.

rtl_eeprom -h (Shows help)
rtl_eeprom -i0 (Invokes first dongle, device 0 to disable IR port. Get asked y or n)

Soo from that...
rtl_eeprom -d0 -i0 (Select y, IR port device 0 disabled.)
rtl_eeprom -d1 -i0 (Select y, IR port device 0 disabled.)

If you have a third dongle, use -d2

That worked. I hope that helps..."

It is strange how your dongles display differently on device manager...

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
My two dongles come up as "Bulk-In, Interface (Interface 0)" and of course 1 (as I have 2 RTL dongles).

See this...

rtl_eeprom -i0 (Invokes first dongle, device 0 to disable IR port. Get asked y or n)

Soo from that...

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
That is the radio screen on SDR Console. If you look closely you can see how I assigned a serial number (actually a serial name) to the device so I know exactly which dongle is selected for what I have that set up to do. I have also another dongle and up converter for Shortwave and also a SDR Play RSP1A. That is why I am pushing to have a option for a serial device instead of allowing the program to capture the first one it sees. If I have only one SDR plugged in the signal part of the program works great then If I plug in the second dongle and execute it as the scanner part then I get a error for udev rule problem. This only occures if the program is trying to look for SDR that is already running.

TheButcher

"That is why I am pushing to have a option for a serial device instead of allowing the program to capture the first one it sees. "

I am with you on that as default they are all like 00000 or 00001 or something. With individualistic serial (unique I guess) one can make batch (or similar, dependant on what one is doing) to invoke whichever dongle one requires.

Good luck...

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
TheButcher,
That is correct. Right now I am running the latest Unitrunker with two serialized NooElec NESDR SMArtee dongles (These dongles have bias tee enabled from the factory it convenient to have) and I have a third one also serialized with a Spyverter for HF broadcast listening. By doing the serializing these dongles are assigned to those programs.

TheButcher

No worries.

Read thru this...

DRL-XM43

If it helps to identify your dongles to select which one for a purpose I run rtl_test which shows the dongle number on the left and the serial on the right. If the program uses 0, 1, 2, blah blah then use numbers as shown. If program uses 1, 2, 3 blah blah then offset by 1.

TheButcher

looks like devices go 0, 1, 2, 3 .....

Yes it would be FANTASTIC idea to use (implement) serials. I intent on placing dongles up in a box up on my roof. With individualistic serial, then I could involk the correct one. I'd use 2 with a VHF aerial, 2 with a UHF aerial and 2 with 800 meg aerial (for trunk following). Better signals then. Gain can be controlled from below.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
Still today DSD plus fast lane is a dead thing for me and a total waste of money. I actually emailed as described without any response, twice. If you use the results from the rtl_test is great until you shut the program down. I have other dongles installed for other purposes and this program will try to capture them. It is simple to set up a dongle serial number like in Unitrunker.
I will not recommend to anyone to spend the 25 dollars on DSD plus fast lane until decent customer support is added. They were quick to take my money, but not wanting to answer any questions.

TheButcher

"I will not recommend to anyone to spend the 25 dollars on DSD plus fast lane until decent customer support is added. "

Ok. Go and spend a thousand dollars on an RT or digital scanner... How short sited.

After comments and slander like this, DSD+ will most likely go up to $499 USD.

ps. To be fair, they have not replied to my emails either.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
Believe me, its not slander in any form.
For what it is worth, I have other things to do as well.
If it went to 500 bucks I don't think he would have many people willing to pay, So I chalked it up as a 25 dollar loss and moved on. Maybe someday DSD plus fast lane will be worthwhile but until then its a dead thing to me.

scriptguru

Spy Satellite
Premium Subscriber
So far I can't set up DSDplus for scanning, but it works very well for decoding, better than any other software I'm aware of.
At this price point I really appreciate it for what it can do. I tried different setups (like Raspberry Pi with DSD application for voice decoding and they are not nearly as good as DSDplus (support less different encoding standards, decoding quality is worse, etc).

FMP24 kind of works (I'm not running into "can't find device" issue), but it doesn't really scan anything and doesn't produce any sound for me. Hard to tell what's wrong, I haven't seen a good tutorial yet.

IMO at this point the best use for DSDplus is just use it for voice decoding, while using something else for actual scanning (Unitrunker? something else?).

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
After trial and error, I had found or discovered the two RTL-SDR devices I normally use for Unitrunker. Now I have DSD Plus Fastlane up and running. I still would prefer a serial device as an option in the .bat file. Now I found it is very important to set the options up correctly, the PPM Corrections, and also the correct bandwidth to get an excellent control channel decode.
I can see if all is tunned correctly then an excellent decode plus audio output can be obtained.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber

See this...

Soo from that...

I found out through trial and error then a bunch of reading that this will occur on Windows 10. So I took this as a false reading and moved by one number. Since I also use these dongles for other programs I didn't disable the IR port just incase.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm running W10Pro and DSD+ Fast Lane with multiple Nooelec radios on an i7 box. DSD always seems to find an available radio or two. I regularly run UT2 on the same machine, but my procedure is to start the UT2 radio(s) first, then start DSD. Seems to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.