DSD Trunking - Where am I going wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScubaJungle

Can someone help me understand DSD+ Fastlane? I use Unitrunker and SDRTrunk with no issues, but I dont quite get the DSD trunking system.
I dont have much info on the channels Im finding - there isnt much on RR DB, and if there is, like for the fleet talk, it doesnt work. I get voice on random frequencies when "scanning", but when I try to listen to the Hillsborough/Polk County FLeet Talk, as well as Hillsborough Aviation (trunked), I get nothing.

The screenshots show what I am seeing. The screenshot is specifically of the aviation.

WHen I try the fleet talk, it gives me a frequencies input error, saying that lines 38-42 are missing something/invalid, but they are done in the same format as the others, I just dont know the channel numbers.

Attachments

• Screenshot (25).png
    Screenshot (25).png
    335.8 KB · Views: 33

cg

Premium Subscriber
I don't see any obvious deal breakers but a couple other things I noticed....
Is it a weak system? the gain seems quite high being maxed out.
Also, earlier versions worked better with NXDN if that was the only protocol selected. It may be no longer required but one more thing you can try (can't tell if you have that set or not).
Site number in the freq list doesn't need to be 001, 1 will do but it seems to be looking for the channels properly. Second frequency in each line should be 0.0
You are missing Channel 4. Shows in the Event Log at 20:12:30

chris

slicerwizard

You don't show us the frequencies file errors.

You don't show us the DSDPlus.frequencies file (instead, you appear to be showing us a file named DSDPlus?)

You don't show us the channel window.

ScubaJungle

I don't see any obvious deal breakers but a couple other things I noticed....
Is it a weak system? the gain seems quite high being maxed out.
Also, earlier versions worked better with NXDN if that was the only protocol selected. It may be no longer required but one more thing you can try (can't tell if you have that set or not).
Site number in the freq list doesn't need to be 001, 1 will do but it seems to be looking for the channels properly. Second frequency in each line should be 0.0
You are missing Channel 4. Shows in the Event Log at 20:12:30

chris
Thanks. I dont think the signal is GREAT, but also not horrible either. I didnt even notice the gain being so high, I lowered it down a bit. I put 001 because thats how it was in the RR DB, but I see that its better to mimic what DSD says instead, and I will try ONLY selecting NEXEDGE to see if that helps.
Also, as you said Im missing channel 4 - Im a bit confused about how to input all the channels on the system, especially if not in the RR DB, besides manually going through the frequencies and finding them. With a system with 20+ channels, that would be very difficult. Just to clear a confusion I have - say a channel has 5 frequencies it uses, but has 500+ TG's (for example the EDACS w/provoice system I listen to on unitrunker has 20 freqs, and 1000+ TGs), I only need to input the 5 frequencies and not all the talkgroups, correct? I suppose I will have to do better to make sure I have the channel frequencies mapped out so that it can track more efficiently. At first, I was thinking I had to input all the talkgroups, which would be insane.

----------
You don't show us the frequencies file errors.

You don't show us the DSDPlus.frequencies file (instead, you appear to be showing us a file named DSDPlus?)

You don't show us the channel window.
---------

The "DSDPlus" file IS the frequencies file. That is how they have it set up now - it is called "DSDPlus.frequencies"

Youre right, I shouldve included the errors, and I didnt realize the channel window was being blocked. I will post an update when I get it again.

I THINK that my errors are coming from not having the channels all put into the freq file, as I get random voice when I hit a voice channel thats operating. The control channel just sits there and doesnt do anything much other than spit out errors.

cg

Premium Subscriber
You can choose Passive Digital Monitor in the Control menu. Sit on the Control Channel. If you still have a lot of errors, the Frequency file is not the problem.
The RR Database should have small numbers next to the 5 frequencies to indicate the channel number. It does not so you need to figure it out yourself.
It appears that there may be 4 voice channels and the control channel. The 5 frequencies listed in the database each need to be matched with the correct Channel number. I would guess that the Control Channel is 5 because there is voice on 1-4 as shown in the Event Log. So watch the FMP24 display when there is a voice call and see where there is a spike. Since they are all fairly close to the CC, you may be able to do it just by watching the display. Otherwise a regular scanner set to each possible channel and when you hear the digital noise, that frequency is in use.

chris

ScubaJungle

You can choose Passive Digital Monitor in the Control menu. Sit on the Control Channel. If you still have a lot of errors, the Frequency file is not the problem.
The RR Database should have small numbers next to the 5 frequencies to indicate the channel number. It does not so you need to figure it out yourself.
It appears that there may be 4 voice channels and the control channel. The 5 frequencies listed in the database each need to be matched with the correct Channel number. I would guess that the Control Channel is 5 because there is voice on 1-4 as shown in the Event Log. So watch the FMP24 display when there is a voice call and see where there is a spike. Since they are all fairly close to the CC, you may be able to do it just by watching the display. Otherwise a regular scanner set to each possible channel and when you hear the digital noise, that frequency is in use.

chris
Thank you for the help, I'll give this a shot. Unfortunately I don't have a regular scanner right now so I'm gonna try to do it with FMP24. That cleared up pretty much all my confusions though, especially about the channels and the corresponding numbers. I think that may be the issue as I had no idea that mattered, and was just putting them in 1-5 whatever order.
On the bottom when certain protocols are locked, there is a DCC:#. What is that number (channel # maybe)?

Status
Not open for further replies.