dsd / ubuntu help

Status
Not open for further replies.

swm239

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I am looking for someone who is using ubuntu and dsd. Had someone set it up for me and it worked great for several months. Recently started having trouble, cant log in to ubuntu and appears to be a segmentation fault. The person that set it up is no longer around, have been looking all over ubuntu help forums looking for someone to talk with. Also tried win version but have been unable to get that to work. Looking for someone that I could talk with that could help me to reinstall the ubuntu and get it working.
Or if you know of someone in a different forum that could help, let me know.
Thanks, Scott

frazpo

First things first. If you cannot install or logon to the existing computer you will need to make an installation cd. I am using 10.4 lts version for my DSD computer

Download | Ubuntu

ak4fn

What kind of errors are you getting when trying to log in? Did you already wipe it out and want to start over? Was this a dual boot computer (windows and ubuntu) if so did you just might need to redo grub.

Last edited:

swm239

Premium Subscriber
hello, thanks for the notes. The computer is set up upon start up and I have the option of starting in windows 7 or ubuntu. Ubuntu loads and asks for login / password. Hit enter and it thinks for a minute and then comes back to the login / password screen. Can get no further then that at the moment. I am looking to reload the ubuntu but not sure how to do this, do not know what grub is.
Thanks for any help.
Scott

ak4fn

To change Ubuntu's password

To change your password:
If you see a menu (this is grub) when the computer is starting:
go to a menu option that says
Code:
Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-32-generic (recovery mode)
the (recovery mode) is what we need use, use the top most recovery one.
(the numbers will be different then mine I believe because I'm using a old kernel)
If you do not see the menu when first starting you will need to hold shift down right after the bios goes by and then you will see the menu.

You will come to the "Recovery Menu" choose the last item on the list labeled:
Code:
root     Drop to root shell prompt
You will be root at this time so you can change the password to what ever you want. To change the password you do
Code:
passwd [COLOR="Red"]USERNAME[/COLOR]
Replace USERNAME with the user name that you used.
it will then ask you for
Code:
Enter new UNIX password:
just make a password and enter it (you will not see the cursor move) just type it in, and then it will ask you to retype the password, now just reboot
Code:
reboot
you have just changed your password!

frazpo

hello, thanks for the notes. The computer is set up upon start up and I have the option of starting in windows 7 or ubuntu. Ubuntu loads and asks for login / password. Hit enter and it thinks for a minute and then comes back to the login / password screen. Can get no further then that at the moment. I am looking to reload the ubuntu but not sure how to do this, do not know what grub is.
Thanks for any help.
Scott

You mentioned segmentation errors. Is the problem the errors or logging on ? or both?

ak4fn

The windows version does work well. I don't think you can use more than one scanner with it from what I could see, like I do in linux.

frazpo

The windows version does work well. I don't think you can use more than one scanner with it from what I could see, like I do in linux.

Ive never tried that. do you run more than one instance of dsd?

ak4fn

Ive never tried that. do you run more than one instance of dsd?

yes, in Linux I have 3 sound cards 2 of which are for the inputs and one for the output. But in windows as far as I can tell you can only use whatever is the default card is.

frazpo

yes, in Linux I have 3 sound cards 2 of which are for the inputs and one for the output. But in windows as far as I can tell you can only use whatever is the default card is.

Ok, I have 2 soundcards in mine. I installed icecast to feed audio. I ran a cable from the output of dsd soundcard to the input of the icecast soundcard. I never got good quality audio out of it. I think a better antenna would probably help. The feed was for personal use anyway. Do you feed DSD audio?

ak4fn

Ok, I have 2 soundcards in mine. I installed icecast to feed audio. I ran a cable from the output of dsd soundcard to the input of the icecast soundcard. I never got good quality audio out of it. I think a better antenna would probably help. The feed was for personal use anyway. Do you feed DSD audio?
No I don't I use it to feed, You are right you have to have very good reception for good decoding, also use that 2nd sound card for audio out, something about the way a single card has to transform it to 8 bit or something (they mention it in one of the threads on here).
Code:
dsd -i /dev/audio1 -o /dev/audio -f1 -mc 
dsd -i /dev/audio2 -o /dev/audio -f1 -mc
I use it for personal use to keep the local Police on 24/7 and also one for KSP post 2. It does do pretty good job, but no were the audio that a dedicated digital scanner has.

Status
Not open for further replies.