DSDPlus and Windows 8 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

racingfan360

I'm interested to know if anyone has successfully run DSD+ on a windows 8 tablet yet?

If so can you tell me what minimum spec I should be looking at for a tablet and what the decode performance on DSD+ is like plus what the cpu/memory loading is like on the tablet. I assume I'd need to be running a external USB sound card to interface to my disc tapped scanner.

TIA

Jim

br0adband

There are reports from people using older Netbooks with single core Atom processors using DSD+ without much issue - DSD uses a lot more resources to get the same task done, but DSD+ seems to be quite highly optimized even for use with older single core processors. I would suspect that any modern Windows 8-based tablet - and by that I mean an x86 processor based model with a dual core Atom or one of those AMD APUs of some kind - should easily be capable of running it without problems.

I know Staples had some kind of $50 off tablet coupon floating around this weekend, a lot of people were grabbing that Dell Venue Pro Windows 8 tablet (x86-based, not ARM) for about $199 with the coupon, not sure if it's still applicable at this point, however.

racingfan360

Thanks. I've tested DSD+ ok with a single core Atom N270 based netbook so was hoping that a decent Win8 tablet would be up for the job. I was thinking it would make quite a good mobile setup for digital decoding with a scanner.

The windows version of DSD always needed quite a powerful machine, but in my experience the original Ubuntu code worked fine on lower powered PCs.

Jim

mm

Yes I am using a dell venue 8 tablet and listening to NXDN and P25 so far with minimal problems, but I just got my RTL dongle a couple of days ago.

It was only an hour ago when I had everything set up and running so I'm still learning DSD plus and SDR sharp so give me more time to report.

But for me using VAC on my Dell tablet I found that I needed to set all of my tablets audio IN levels and the audio level in SDR sharp set at maximum.

I'm still playing with different filters and bandwidths in SDR sharp to find the best settings for various modes but now someone has borrowed my Aeroflex 3970 digital test set so my testing has stopped for the day.

Mike

racingfan360

Thanks Mike...that's very helpful info.

Can you tell me if you have just used a RTL dongle as the source or have you also used a tapped scanner as input? If the latter I was interested if you have used a USB sound card as an interface.

Also can you tell me what the task manager is saying by way of CPU/memory Windows process loading if you use one or more instances of DSD+ please? Again interested to know what difference if any you see between using the RTL dongle and a tapped scanner.

That would really help me 'spec' a Windows 8 tablet: I'm thinking of small form factor, big battery and enough grunt to do the job.

TIA

Jim

Last edited:

RonnieUSA

Thanks Mike...that's very helpful info.

Can you tell me if you have just used a RTL dongle as the source or have you also used a tapped scanner as input? If the latter I was interested if you have used a USB sound card as an interface.

Also can you tell me what the task manager is saying by way of CPU/memory Windows process loading if you use one or more instances of DSD+ please? Again interested to know what difference if any you see between using the RTL dongle and a tapped scanner.

That would really help me 'spec' a Windows 8 tablet: I'm thinking of small form factor, big battery and even grunt to do the job.

TIA

Jim

Here are a couple of screen shots for dsd+, and sdrsharp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.