DSDPlus DMR Talkgroup info

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRRX

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone. I am trying to find a local frequency's talk group that I found using DSDPlus, so I can program it into my DMR radio MD-390 to monitor without always having to have my PC and DSDPlus on! How do I get this info from DSDPlus? I currently have CC=1 Source=1 and PRI = 50 for all that I am able to see from the DSD windows.

Thanks

TJ

BRRX

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone. I am trying to find a local frequency's talk group that I found using DSDPlus, so I can program it into my DMR radio MD-390 to monitor without always having to have my PC and DSDPlus on! How do I get this info from DSDPlus? I currently have CC=1 Source=1 and PRI = 50 for all that I am able to see from the DSD windows.

Thanks

TJ
I mean that I have the frequency already, I am able to monitor perfectly with dsdplus. Shows me color code source/target displayed ( all 1's) already, so I tried to program it with all 1's, but no luck (no audio, just green led/rx/receive displaying on the radio)...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
...Shows me color code source/target displayed ( all 1's)...

So you're saying that the DSD+ Event Log window shows only 1s? That's not normal.

Please post a screen shot of that, and the DSD+ console window for the same transmission.

slicerwizard

Priority 50? Isn't that the default priority DSD+ assigns to a trunked talkgroup? So the OP is monitoring a DMR rest/control channel? Let's see those screen shots...

BRRX

Premium Subscriber
Here are the screen shots
What do you guys think?

Should I use any other commands/options to find more info?
426d9a92a2644602ae14492dd9828aa3.jpg
28c1074f8c0c5941cb6d50e4a200cf71.jpg
f3c175b167b7f92a07cfcaaf26c3f9ff.jpg

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Looks like TG 1

So put Talk Group as 1 in your radio not multiple ones as you said you did. I only see that one talk group listed, are there others?

If more than one then set up your receive groups with each TG and then set up a monitor all channel for each TS and put all TGs into the receive monitor all group.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
DSD+ has an "event log", it ends with ".event". The same information is also displayed real-time in an event window while DSD+ is running. If and when the system broadcasts voice grants, the relevant information gets dumped to the event log (i.e. talkgroup, radio id etc.). Sometimes you will find that a particular DMR site isn't very active, and you have to log it for many hours or days to see a single voice grant. So, have you checked the event log?

BRRX

Premium Subscriber
Looks like TG 1

So put Talk Group as 1 in your radio not multiple ones as you said you did. I only see that one talk group listed, are there others?

If more than one then set up your receive groups with each TG and then set up a monitor all channel for each TS and put all TGs into the receive monitor all group.
I configured it with cc 1, tg 1 and time slot 1, but the tyt md390 still doesn't open the audio and just shows a green rx led...

BRRX

Premium Subscriber
DSD+ has an "event log", it ends with ".event". The same information is also displayed real-time in an event window while DSD+ is running. If and when the system broadcasts voice grants, the relevant information gets dumped to the event log (i.e. talkgroup, radio id etc.). Sometimes you will find that a particular DMR site isn't very active, and you have to log it for many hours or days to see a single voice grant. So, have you checked the event log?
Is this file .event created automatically or do I need to start the log by a certain command at the command prompt? Thanks for the tip :)

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
Another possibility: I've seen several installations with basic subscriber radios (no display/keys), and only 1 'channel'. In these cases, it's totally acceptable for all radio ID's to be the same, and have only 1 TG in use

BRRX

Premium Subscriber
Another possibility: I've seen several installations with basic subscriber radios (no display/keys), and only 1 'channel'. In these cases, it's totally acceptable for all radio ID's to be the same, and have only 1 TG in use
Seems the case here. Just need to figure out why no audio coming out from the tyt-md390

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I configured it with cc 1, tg 1 and time slot 1, but the tyt md390 still doesn't open the audio and just shows a green rx led...

Does that radio have a "Monitor" function like the CSI radios do? If it does try that and it should display all info of everything on the freq.

Looking again at your post it looks like all voice traffic was on TS 1 so it should work from what I can see. Try putting in TS 2 on a channel and setting both to your receive group you have them in and see if that makes a difference. Can't see why it would but its a shot in the dark that may hit something.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Is this file .event created automatically or do I need to start the log by a certain command at the command prompt? Thanks for the tip :)

It should be created automatically and appear in the DSD+ program directory. It should be named something like "DSDPlus.event". Although it's generated automatically, you need an extra command flag to add a timestamp to the event log, which is in the documentation (I don't recall it at the moment). Here's an example of what the event log looks like:

2017/04/08 15:02:13 Freq=146.400000 DCC=1 Group call; TG=99 RID=3108946 6s
2017/04/08 15:02:21 Freq=146.400000 DCC=1 Group call; TG=99 RID=3108946 5s
2017/04/08 15:02:47 Freq=146.400000 DCC=1 Group call; TG=99 RID=3108946 14s
2017/04/08 15:03:02 Freq=146.400000 DCC=1 Group call; TG=99 RID=3108946 4s
2017/04/08 15:17:14 Freq=146.400000 DCC=1 Group call; TG=99 RID=3108946 6s
2017/04/08 15:17:27 Freq=146.400000 DCC=1 Group call; TG=99 RID=3108946 7s
2017/04/08 15:17:36 Freq=146.400000 DCC=1 Group call; TG=99 RID=3108946 6s

BRRX

Premium Subscriber
Alright guys... there is a bug with the TYT MD390 software! Even programming a frequency just for receive, a different TX must be programmed in order for audio to come through the speakers! All my info (color code, talk group and radio programming was correct)

Found this after a lot of searching and read a comment on a YouTube video! Hope this helps other users also.

I appreciate all the comments and tips for dsd plus! I didn't know of some details and this will help a lot! Thanks guys!

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin

Actually, no... this isn't acceptable. You can't have radios with the same ID... they won't unmute to incoming traffic coming from the same RID.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I think the radio ID issue being the same is dependent on the manufacturer.

Ive heard some hams talk about Motorola having that issue.Its been discussed a couple of times on the radio (texas 3148) i believe.
I also heard a few days ago two guys talking and one of them was using the ID of the other.Guy 1 sent guy 2 his codeplug and guy 2 forgot to change the RID. Guy 1 noticed that when guy 2 keyed up guy 1 radio ID appeared in Guy 1 radio. So his radio was passing audio with the same ID that was in his radio being keyed by another radio. They were using Tyt MD380.
@Forts is correct. Its never a good idea to duplicate Radio ID. Keep them all unique.

racingfan360

Alright guys... there is a bug with the TYT MD390 software! Even programming a frequency just for receive, a different TX must be programmed in order for audio to come through the speakers! All my info (color code, talk group and radio programming was correct)

It's not a bug.

If you program a DMR radio with the same RX and TX frequencies, it will default to decoding simplex or 'direct' communications (often referred to as Direct Mode'). If you set different RX and TX frequencies, it defaults to Repeater Mode. Direct Mode cannot decode a repeater signal, and Repeater Mode cannot decode a Direct Mode signal. Its the same for all DMR radios. Note you can't use Direct Mode to decode the input/uplink side of a Repeater setup, nor a system that operates with RAS.

racingfan360

Interesting. I know for sure with Motorola and Hytera that same RID = no worky.

Interesting indeed Forts....I'm aware of one major supplier of DMR radios in the UK where at least two radios on every network they sell have the same RID=1. In saying that, these radios will always talk to each other via a repeater. Other radios on the same network do talk to each other, sometimes in direct/simplex mode (and they will all have unique RIDs). Do we think this "same RID = no worky" behavior only applies to simplex/direct mode?

The supplier in question always uses Moto DP3600 or 3400s btw (not sure what the Repeater model is).

BRRX

Premium Subscriber
It's not a bug.

If you program a DMR radio with the same RX and TX frequencies, it will default to decoding simplex or 'direct' communications (often referred to as Direct Mode'). If you set different RX and TX frequencies, it defaults to Repeater Mode. Direct Mode cannot decode a repeater signal, and Repeater Mode cannot decode a Direct Mode signal. Its the same for all DMR radios. Note you can't use Direct Mode to decode the input/uplink side of a Repeater setup, nor a system that operates with RAS.
Got ya... thank you for the explanation. :) very very new to dmr.

This clearly means that this is a repeater and I'm listening to the output frequency...

Status
Not open for further replies.