DSDPlus Fast Lane - License & Radio ID Question

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
It's not going to generate audio unless FMP24 is connected to DSDPlus and in the DSDPlus Input menu you turn source audio monitoring on.

Ok, it defaults to 935 mhz. Irrelevant. Tune it to the control channel of some trunked system, any trunked system, in your area. You "tune" by focusing on the FMP24-CC waterfall window, and if you start typing a frequency you'll see it at the top of the window -- press enter to switch to that frequency.

And in DSDPlus make sure that in the Input menu you have it set to "Use Direct FMPx linking" and in the Control menu of DSDPlus you have it set to Combined CC/VC Monitor.

Forget about CSV files. They are irrelevant at this point.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
If you are using pristine (unbutchered) FMP24-CC.bat and 1R.bat, they are set to automatically make a Direct link to each other. Of course, if you modified anything in those files, or if you have modified Input / output / control settings in DSDplus by fiddling around, who knows what is going to happen.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
\FMP-FreqList1.csv and .\FMP-FreqList2.csv in FMP.CFG but I'm not sure why - because neither appears to exist anywhere o the drive. I also still get the same error:
Forget about those for now.

It does default to 935MHz and jumps around just a little bit "Step: 6.25" may control that, it also doesn't generate any audio (not even static).

Should be jumping around. If auto tune is on, it may wander a slight bit. Step is the increments in which the freqs will advance when using keyboard or mouse.

Can you post the screen, like this? It will show if your speakers are selected.

1718244728891.png
1718244759874.png

Post a pic of FMP24 with a known working freq entered in. Like this

1718245239649.png

kd4e

Can you post the screen, like this? It will show if your speakers are selected.
Attached is the requested file, similar to yours. The audio devices are selected.
My FMP24 window looks the same as yours, other than "CC FM 935.-55Hz (varies) Step: 6.25 BW: 7.6 Gain: 42.0"

Attachments

• 1r-output1.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 6
  • fmp24-display1.PNG
    fmp24-display1.PNG
    80.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Attached is the requested file, similar to yours. The audio devices are selected.
My FMP24 window looks the same as yours, other than "CC FM 935.-55Hz (varies) Step: 6.25 BW: 7.6 Gain: 42.0"
Why don’t you make an attempt to tune to some frequency that has a control channel on it like from a known local trunk system parking on 935 Hz isn’t going to get you anything

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
We were hoping to see what a signal looked like on your end which is why we asked you to tune to a known working freq.

In my pic, which is tuned to a known freq set at 9.5 khz bandwidth and you can see my PPM is off and needs to be adjusted.

1718274222957.png

This pic is of a NXDN control channel at 4 khz bandwidth.

1718274474473.png

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Looks like you only have NXDN4800 decoding enabled. Any reason why you didnt leave it at the default to decode any/all protocols that it can decode? you really need to find a test signal and get things working before you start narrowing things down and getting specific about the system you want to monitor. This is especially true if you don't even know anything about the system you want to monitor yet. You may know its NXDN48, but you haven't verified that it is even online. Just find a legit control channel for a trunked system in your county, make sure all the protocols are enabled for decoding and test.

If the system is NEXEDGE48 it'll have a constant control channel on one of the frequencies. If it's ICOM IDAS it could be type-C with a constant control channel or type-D (no control channel).

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I agree with @mtindor Just because the database says, "6/23 - Being reported that the county has moved to a VHF Kenwood NXDN system. Please submit any known info."

And because this thread Evans County says what it says.,

The fact that there is still zero confirmation means they could be using any flavor of digital. Just because a license says NXDN does not mean its accurate. There are many licenses that say this when they are using that. If your trying to discover a system that has no confirmation of flavor, its best to have all selected. DSDPlus will display to type of digital it finds when you are tuned to a freq that is using digital. If you only have NXDN selected, and they are using the expired DMR freqs, you won't know. You will may see a signal, but it wont decode unless the correct flavor is enabled.

They were issued the license in 2020 and 4 years later there is nothing confirmed as being operational. Nobody in that thread has posted about detecting an active control channel as of yet.

In regards to your post in the GA forum,
The software I'm using requires this system data:
NEXEDGEXX, SYSID, "SYSTEM NAME" where NEXEDGEXX is either NEXEDGE48 or NEXEDGE96, SYSID is the decimal system ID provided by RR, and system name is the system name

It's not on RR and I haven't been able to locate it anywhere.

Anyone happen to know, please, or know where I should look?

You are not ready to set up any of the files yet because unless it's a published system or someone who decoded it posts the info, the only way to obtain that is to find an active control channel and see what it displays.

Here is an established NXDN system.

1718282526365.png

kd4e

Why don’t you make an attempt to tune to some frequency that has a control channel on it like from a known local trunk system parking on 935 Hz isn’t going to get you anything
That's one of the problems - I don't see anywhere that allows me to change the frequency. I have no idea where it even got 935.

Following instructions here I've only opened 1R and FMP24.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
You got 935 because it's in the fmp24 bat file.

1718284062092.png

To enter a freq, click (focus) on the fmp24 title bar. Then type in a freq and hit enter

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
That's one of the problems - I don't see anywhere that allows me to change the frequency. I have no idea where it even got 935.

Following instructions here I've only opened 1R and FMP24.

Ignore the fact that the screenshot I am posting is of FMPA (because I use an Airspy). Same applies for FMP24.

1. Click on the top bar of your FMP24 screen (so that you have "mouse focus" there)
2. Start typing something in, like 154.115. You'll see at the top of the FMP24 screen in the middle, the frequency you are typing will populate
3. When you have the right frequency in just hit Enter

You just want to make sure that any time you are attempting to change frequency, or bandwidth, or gain, that you have mouse-focus on the FMP24 window.

Attachments

• fmpacc.png
    fmpacc.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 1

kd4e

You got 935 because it's in the fmp24 bat file.

View attachment 163920

To enter a freq, click (focus) on the fmp24 title bar. Then type in a freq and hit enter
Cool! Not terribly intuitive, but cool once you know the trick. I'm in a rural area and most everything near me is P25 Phase 2. (Which I monitor and feed to various services using trunk-recorder.) I just tried entering 855.7875. Do I need to open DSDPlus.exe in order to alter the modulation types - or will that mess up other things? (The MS pop-up warning window asks if it's OK to allow DSDPlus to change things on my computer. NOTE: I'm a Linux & BSD user, so I'm unfamiliar with MS messages.)

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Cool! Not terribly intuitive, but cool once you know the trick. I'm in a rural area and most everything near me is P25 Phase 2. (Which I monitor and feed to various services using trunk-recorder.) I just tried entering 855.7875. Do I need to open DSDPlus.exe in order to alter the modulation types - or will that mess up other things? (The MS pop-up warning window asks if it's OK to allow DSDPlus to change things on my computer. NOTE: I'm a Linux & BSD user, so I'm unfamiliar with MS messages.)
Yes, it's okay to allow DSDPlus to change things. And yes, you need to have DSDPlus open.

1. run FMP24-CC.bat (which will run the dongle tuning software)
2. then run 1R.bat (which will run DSDPlus)

then when DSDPlus is open, in the Event window you'll see a clickable menu system at the top. Just make sure that under the applicable section you have the appropriate protocols selected.

If you think you may have inadvertently changed something in the DSDPlus menu system before and don't know what you changed, close DSDPlus, navigate to your folder containing the DSDPlus files, and delete DSDplus.bin and then restart 1R.bat. That will restore DSDPlus to all of the default settings.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

And as mentioned before, make sure you have mouse focus on FMP24 before you try to change things in FMP24. If you attempt to change something in FMP24 and your focus is on one of the DSDPlus screens, the commands you issue will be sent to DSDPlus instead -- and those commands might do different things in DSDPlus. So you always want to make sure you are mouse-focused on the right app (FMP24 or DSDPlus) before attempting to make a change with that app.

If you are mouse-focused on FMP24, you can type in a question mark - ? and then in the corresponding black command window of windows that is associated with FMP24 you'll see a legend of all of the FMP24 commands, such as ones to increase/decrease gain, increase/decrease bandwidth, etc.

kd4e

Yes, it's okay to allow DSDPlus to change things. And yes, you need to have DSDPlus open.

1. run FMP24-CC.bat (which will run the dongle tuning software)
2. then run 1R.bat (which will run DSDPlus)

then when DSDPlus is open, in the Event window you'll see a clickable menu system at the top. Just make sure that under the applicable section you have the appropriate protocols selected.

If you think you may have inadvertently changed something in the DSDPlus menu system before and don't know what you changed, close DSDPlus, navigate to your folder containing the DSDPlus files, and delete DSDplus.bin and then restart 1R.bat. That will restore DSDPlus to all of the default settings.
When I try to open DSDPlus, as user or administrator, I'm getting an Error "Can't open or create event log file". When I click OK, it closes. Id try deleting DSDPlus.bin - same result. (I tried rebooting, no change.)

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
When I try to open DSDPlus, as user or administrator, I'm getting an Error "Can't open or create event log file". When I click OK, it closes. Id try deleting DSDPlus.bin - same result. (I tried rebooting, no change.)

All of the files should be in one directory. All files required for DSDPlus/FMP* to run must be in the same directory by default. If you have your DSDPlus folder in some odd location, the OS may not allow it to write things to the filesystem or access files from that location in the filesystem.

On every version of Windows I've ever used DSDPlus with, I've always created a c:\dsdplus folder and put all the relevant files in there. My friend runs his from a folder on the Desktop without issue. But there are places in the Win filesystem where you don't want the DSDPlus folder to be. And, although you should be able to open up DSDPlus.exe by clicking on it, you should be executing it via 1R.bat.

Mike

kd4e

All of the files should be in one directory. All files required for DSDPlus/FMP* to run must be in the same directory by default. If you have your DSDPlus folder in some odd location, the OS may not allow it to write things to the filesystem or access files from that location in the filesystem.

On every version of Windows I've ever used DSDPlus with, I've always created a c:\dsdplus folder and put all the relevant files in there. My friend runs his from a folder on the Desktop without issue. But there are places in the Win filesystem where you don't want the DSDPlus folder to be. And, although you should be able to open up DSDPlus.exe by clicking on it, you should be executing it via 1R.bat.

Mike
OK, I misunderstood you to intend that I open both 1R and DSDPlus. My install of DSDPlus is in 'root' C:\DSDPlus.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
OK, I misunderstood you to intend that I open both 1R and DSDPlus. My install of DSDPlus is in 'root' C:\DSDPlus.
1R.bat fires off DSDPlus. So you don't need to open DSDPlus separately. My guess is that the errors and issues with deleting DSDPlus.bin were related to another copy of DSDPlus already running.

Ultimately, make sure everything is closed (reboot if you have to) then:

1. run FMP24-CC.bat (wait for it to come up)
2. run 1R.bat

Mike