DSDPlus How to disable "Assuming FMPA FMPP is the source "

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulmo101

Hi
I`m new to DSDPlus Fastlane so be kind LOL

I managed to get the downloadable fastlane (V1.01? 2018) working with my discriminator tap fed into my line in on my PC. Wasn`t sure what I was seeing but it was giving me info on systems that my TRX-1 had found. I had it set so that my speakers were the output device and my line in was the input device and all seemed to work.
I`ve just installed my first fastlane update but when loading ( I run it from the cmd - DSDPlus.exe) it chooses my speakers as the output but then gives a message thats says something like "Assuming FMPA FMPP is the source and as I`m not using a dongle or FMPA etc. it then gives errors to the effect "Initiating FMPx link using link ID 20001" then FMPx link error = .5 Server not listening on selected lind ID. I have tried going into the input menu and although my line in is listed as the first item it wont let me select it. Its set on the second menu item the FMPX input. I have signal on the line in as I can hear it and it shows on my levels. Can I disable the FMPX stuff as I dont have a dongle at the moment ? Or is there a way I can tell DSDPlus to use my line in - other than the menu item ?
Thanks for reading
Paul

paulmo101

Under the CONTROL menu did you select PASSIVE DIGITAL MONITOR?
Hi Thanks for the reply I will have a look at that. Since posting the question I had a play around and I discovered that DSDPLus starts in "Single receiver mode" and apparently in this mode it needs to use FMPX ! Now to be honest all this is above my head but looking into the help file I noticed that you could start in other modes by using switches when starting DSDPlus. So I think I used DSDPlus.exe - rc to start in another mode. Again I`m not sure what the modes are exactly and how they affect the running of DSDPlus and any insight is more than welcome. BUT the upshot of this was I was then able to select my line in as the input device within the input menu and it SEEMS to be running okay. I`m a total novice so i`m not to sure what I`m looking at but I can hear voice through DSDPlus from a cap + system and see loads of confusing information scrolling down the screen. I think I will call it a success for now. I will check out the passive mode. Any further tips most welcome. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read the post Cheers
Paul

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Here, I just copied and pasted this from another thread on here, but yeah, you might have started DSDPlus with some mode where its trying to connect to an FMPx session. Also, check to see, if you have something like DSDPlus -i20001 or something, then that 20001 is looking for FMPx at that TCP port.

Decoder options:
-r1 role is single-receiver control/rest/traffic channel decoder [-r1]
-rc role is dedicated control/rest channel decoder
-rv role is dedicated voice channel decoder
-rp role is passive digital decoder

Might be a good idea to just go ahead and tell us what the full command is that your using to run DSDPlus, or the contents of the bat file, should be simple enough to get rid of that message with the right command line arguments.

paulmo101

Here, I just copied and pasted this from another thread on here, but yeah, you might have started DSDPlus with some mode where its trying to connect to an FMPx session. Also, check to see, if you have something like DSDPlus -i20001 or something, then that 20001 is looking for FMPx at that TCP port.

Decoder options:

Might be a good idea to just go ahead and tell us what the full command is that your using to run DSDPlus, or the contents of the bat file, should be simple enough to get rid of that message with the right command line arguments.
Hi
Massive thanks for the reply

I`m totally new to DSDPlus and DMR in general.

I`ve only just set up DSDPlus and I run it very simply from the command prompt in win 10.

I cd into my DSDPlus Directory and I type DSDPlus.exe to run the program,
I then used DSDPLus.exe -rc to get around the FMPX problem
It might be better to use -rp ???
I dont have any batch files or anything like that.
I`m not using VB cable or FMPX as I am feeding a signal from a Discriminator tap on my TRX-1 into my sound card and its been picked up by DSDPlus fine.
Is there a better way to start DSDPlus or do I need a bat file ?

Thanks again

Paul

lwvmobile

DSD-FME

Well, sounds like you solved your own problem. The best way to open it is the way that works best for you, and sounds like you've already figured that out. You can use -rp instead, but I don't know if it will change anything from your perspective, other than a single line of log telling you which mode you are in. Just as long as your aren't getting bombarded by those FMPx connection error prompt, then it sounds like you're all set for now.

paulmo101

Well, sounds like you solved your own problem. The best way to open it is the way that works best for you, and sounds like you've already figured that out. You can use -rp instead, but I don't know if it will change anything from your perspective, other than a single line of log telling you which mode you are in. Just as long as your aren't getting bombarded by those FMPx connection error prompt, then it sounds like you're all set for now.
Thanks for the kind words.

I do like to try and solve problems as i think you learn more about the software. I do also post questions just in case I can`t solve the problem or I run out of Headache tablets beforehand LOL
Just out of curiosity do you know what the difference in the 4 modes are in practice and what difference they would make when monitoring a frequency ?

Cheers

Paul

a417

U+0000
Just out of curiosity do you know what the difference in the 4 modes are in practice and what difference they would make when monitoring a frequency ?
Decoder options:

-r1 implies single reciever, so one dongle needs to do all the work (following c/c, then jumping to voice channel, then coming back when that voice transmission is done.

-rcthis reciever sits on control channel and does not track audio

-rvthis reciever sits on a voice channel and only responds to voice

-rpI call this the "data sponge" mode. It just decodes whatever data it sees on the frequency.

ArloG

If I could ask while this topic is active.
With a passive digital monitor input only does having Fastlane offer any advantages at all?
If yes, is simply launching DSDplus.exe from the containing folder (mines also as a shortcut on my desktop) sufficient?
Or is there a .bat file that can be setup to allow a passive input to do more?
Sorry for jumping in here. Just wondering.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
With a passive digital monitor input only does having Fastlane offer any advantages at all?
If yes, is simply launching DSDplus.exe from the containing folder (mines also as a shortcut on my desktop) sufficient?

I'm not really an expert, but I don't honestly think there is any advantage to using DSD+ FL in passive digital monitor vs any of the other settings if the only thing you are going to do is have it read the signal that comes in and decode it. The only thing I can think of that MAY improve performance, or at least help ever so slightly, is to only enable the protocols that are on a channel to prevent things like false positives showing up in your event log. Sometimes noise might get interpreted as dPMR or something. Usually the bat files are just for convienience more than anything, or if you want to run multiple instances of DSDplus concurrently, or have one set up for one system, and so on, or have them log to different files, etc.

If you are using multiple RTL dongles, then typically you will have multiple bat files set up to set up FMPx on each dongle, and one instance of DSDplus FL for control, and one instance of DSDplus FL for voice channel. Then, you may have multiple sets of those for different systems.

For just plain voice decoding from one source, however, it probably doesn't really make much of a difference if you are set to passive, CC, or VC.

ArloG

I'm not really an expert, but I don't honestly think there is any advantage to using DSD+ FL in passive digital monitor vs any of the other settings if the only thing you are going to do is have it read the signal that comes in and decode it. The only thing I can think of that MAY improve performance, or at least help ever so slightly, is to only enable the protocols that are on a channel to prevent things like false positives showing up in your event log. Sometimes noise might get interpreted as dPMR or something. Usually the bat files are just for convienience more than anything, or if you want to run multiple instances of DSDplus concurrently, or have one set up for one system, and so on, or have them log to different files, etc.

If you are using multiple RTL dongles, then typically you will have multiple bat files set up to set up FMPx on each dongle, and one instance of DSDplus FL for control, and one instance of DSDplus FL for voice channel. Then, you may have multiple sets of those for different systems.

For just plain voice decoding from one source, however, it probably doesn't really make much of a difference if you are set to passive, CC, or VC.
Although I do have an RSP2 that's supported in Fastlane. It seems as if you're about as much of an expert as me.
I jumped on Fastlane as soon as I got my IC-R8600. Sort of a hidden list of exactly what subscribing to Fastlane will and will not do is not "up front" and maybe it's an assumption that everyone using DSD+ owns an RTL or SDRPlay device. I don't know. It's been awhile but if I remember right there is verbiage letting you believe that you get more advantages with Fastlane.....just not clearly documented.

If TCP linking is possible (the Icom has the provision), so far it's all just numbers in a .bat configuration.
Mentioned before too is a big advantage for those only using passive monitoring to have CAT control of their radios with FL.
Not a provision. Seems simple enough if one single dongle can monitor a CC and jump to a VC and back, why not a real radio?

One member here mentioned that 2 radios are no longer needed and just 1 now can can do what it used to take 2 to do.
Not everyone has years of trunking experience. Myself included. It would be nice to search RR to get advice, or to ask a few questions without somebody pointing me to read the notes.txt file. Tips seem to be scattered all over the place. I've never owned, much less setup, a trunking radio before. What may be familiar to trunking radio owners turns into a bit of confusion for others.
Sorry. I was compelled to reply.

paulmo101

-r1 implies single reciever, so one dongle needs to do all the work (following c/c, then jumping to voice channel, then coming back when that voice transmission is done.

-rcthis reciever sits on control channel and does not track audio

-rvthis reciever sits on a voice channel and only responds to voice

-rpI call this the "data sponge" mode. It just decodes whatever data it sees on the frequency.
Big thanks for the reply - just what I was looking for
Cheers
Paul

paulmo101

Hi

Not sure if I read your question right BUT - The only reason I went for the fastlane option is that various people had said to me its an advantage in so much as it is updated and new stuff added, the menus come to mind. The DSDPlus download is a few years old now. I decided that $25.00 was not a lot of money considering what radios and commercial software costs.
I`m a complete newbie to DSDPlus and DMR and Trunking and my TRX-1 so its a bit of a learning curve, luckily I`ve had quite a bit of help from various forum members and a massive thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond to this thread
Cheers
Paul

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Although I do have an RSP2 that's supported in Fastlane. It seems as if you're about as much of an expert as me.
I jumped on Fastlane as soon as I got my IC-R8600. Sort of a hidden list of exactly what subscribing to Fastlane will and will not do is not "up front" and maybe it's an assumption that everyone using DSD+ owns an RTL or SDRPlay device. I don't know. It's been awhile but if I remember right there is verbiage letting you believe that you get more advantages with Fastlane.....just not clearly documented.

Yeah, I hear you. I know this might not be a popular opinion, and even though I think DSDplus FL is excellent software, I feel like they don't do a great job of selling the software to the end user on how to use it, why you would use it, and what the differences are from the base "free" version and the "paid" or "subscription" or "donation" model of the "Fast Lane Program". They really do rely on the community support model, which, in my opinion, would be fine IF you didn't have to pay for it, or however they want to spin it.

My main 'knitpick' or 'gripe' about the DSDPlus FL model comes down to this, which I copied and pasted from their site.
Early access to features is being offered through the DSD+ Fast Lane program. Fast Lane updates are expected to be released about once per month. Some Fast Lane updates WILL have issues/bugs. That is the nature of alpha software. Fully tested public releases will continue to be released, approximately every 6 months.
In light of the extra workload the Fast Lane program will create, the DSD+ team is asking Fast Laners for:
  • US$10 for one year of Fast Lane updates
  • US$25 for unlimited Fast Lane updates
Donations above these amounts are welcomed, but it’s up to you. We’re not looking to get rich here. Funds will be used for things like needed hardware upgrades.
Funds can be sent our Paypal account (dsdplusfastlane@gmail.com)

The way I personally read this, is that Fast Lane is worded to mean that it is Early Access, and that approximately every 6 months, a fully tested public release will be available. As far as I can tell, that hasn't happened for 5 years.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand what I'm getting into with Fast Lane, I just don't agree with the way they try to 'sell' it on their website. To be honest, I feel like its slightly misleading, and I'm not trying to say I was personally deceived or anything, or that its not worth the money, and DSDPlus can conduct their business however they wish or believe is best, but I just feel like they should change their verbage to state "FREE VERSION" and "PAID VERSION"

I'm sure they have their reasons to have it worded the way they do, though, and I know, they have bills to pay and food to put on the table, and rely heavily on a niche group of radio hobbyist to provide 'donations' to keep them afloat or to provide incentive to keep the project alive.

TLDR

The only thing I'm saying is, if its something I'm providing 'donations' for, you know, paying for, at least provide a comprehensive wiki or tutorial or something, maybe a PDF, video, something :ROFLMAO:

paulmo101

Yeah, I hear you. I know this might not be a popular opinion, and even though I think DSDplus FL is excellent software, I feel like they don't do a great job of selling the software to the end user on how to use it, why you would use it, and what the differences are from the base "free" version and the "paid" or "subscription" or "donation" model of the "Fast Lane Program". They really do rely on the community support model, which, in my opinion, would be fine IF you didn't have to pay for it, or however they want to spin it.

My main 'knitpick' or 'gripe' about the DSDPlus FL model comes down to this, which I copied and pasted from their site.

The way I personally read this, is that Fast Lane is worded to mean that it is Early Access, and that approximately every 6 months, a fully tested public release will be available. As far as I can tell, that hasn't happened for 5 years.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand what I'm getting into with Fast Lane, I just don't agree with the way they try to 'sell' it on their website. To be honest, I feel like its slightly misleading, and I'm not trying to say I was personally deceived or anything, or that its not worth the money, and DSDPlus can conduct their business however they wish or believe is best, but I just feel like they should change their verbage to state "FREE VERSION" and "PAID VERSION"

I'm sure they have their reasons to have it worded the way they do, though, and I know, they have bills to pay and food to put on the table, and rely heavily on a niche group of radio hobbyist to provide 'donations' to keep them afloat or to provide incentive to keep the project alive.

TLDR

The only thing I'm saying is, if its something I'm providing 'donations' for, you know, paying for, at least provide a comprehensive wiki or tutorial or something, maybe a PDF, video, something :ROFLMAO:
I would like to see a PDF or a Wiki also for DSDPlus as it seems like a great piece of software. I don`t mind donating towards the development as it must take loads time to work on the software. Its very confusing for a beginner and I do rely on the goodwill and patience of the DSDPlus community to help me along. Maybe in the future somebody or a collaboration will commit there knowledge to a document or help file. I don`t intend this to be any sort of complaint - just a wish for the future.
Cheers

ArloG

TLDR

Familiar users commonly refer new users to the attachment. As mentioned though what may (or may not) be right out front in the Fastlane sub. offer is:
' DSD+ can be used with external signal sources such as a properly discriminator-tapped receiver
or SDR software such as SDR#. To use DSD+ with these sources, use the menus in DSD+ to
select Passive Digital Monitor mode and then to select the audio input device that carries
the digital audio signal. When running in this mode, DSD+ can be used to monitor conventional
analog and supported digital signals; DSD+ will not directly support trunk tracking
."

I also don't believe this is right out front either. Sort of like they assume you will have at least one of these radios:

" DSD+ directly supports trunk tracking (control/rest channel following and voice channel
following) of NEXEDGE, Capacity Plus, Connect Plus, Tier III and P25 Phase I/II systems
when coupled with one or two RTL2832U-based DVB-T dongles, Airspys or SDRPlay RSP2s. "

RR is probably the go-to place for DSD+ & FL support. I use the search function before asking questions that might give me an answer.
Some have learned the secrets but unfortunately might not reveal their secrets with examples to help others say "Oh, That!"
Youtube is of little help because the authors either don't dummy it down or they already have things setup. Or it's in Hindi with an English title.
10 bucks isn't really a bad price to try FL out. But finding out you have to spend more for a dongle and put up another antenna to use it sucks.

Attachments

• Notes.txt
    95.3 KB · Views: 23

slicerwizard

I discovered that DSDPLus starts in "Single receiver mode" and apparently in this mode it needs to use FMPX !
It starts in whatever mode you last left it in, unless you've specified some other mode on the command line.

I`ve only just set up DSDPlus and I run it very simply from the command prompt in win 10.

I then used DSDPLus.exe -rc to get around the FMPX problem
It might be better to use -rp ???
I dont have any batch files or anything like that.
I`m not using VB cable or FMPX as I am feeding a signal from a Discriminator tap on my TRX-1 into my sound card and its been picked up by DSDPlus fine.
Is there a better way to start DSDPlus or do I need a bat file ?
Since you're using a single tapped radio, just run DSD+ as you already are, or even just from Windows Explorer by double clicking on DSDPlus.exe, then (once) set the monitoring mode to passive and the audio input to the device that's handling the tapped audio. Only benefit I can see to using a batch file would be some option that isn't in the menus, like creating a log file, setting time stamping options, stuff like that.

FL vs 1.101 benefits when using only a tapped radio? More data is decoded - GPS messages, text messages, P25 control channels, D-Star voice, dPMR voice, pretty much anything that's in the notes file that isn't directly related to trunked voice following or P25 PSK decoding?

Dongles are damn cheap - if there's any trunking in your area, just get one and tune it to a control channel...

paulmo101

It starts in whatever mode you last left it in, unless you've specified some other mode on the command line.

Since you're using a single tapped radio, just run DSD+ as you already are, or even just from Windows Explorer by double clicking on DSDPlus.exe, then (once) set the monitoring mode to passive and the audio input to the device that's handling the tapped audio. Only benefit I can see to using a batch file would be some option that isn't in the menus, like creating a log file, setting time stamping options, stuff like that.

FL vs 1.101 benefits when using only a tapped radio? More data is decoded - GPS messages, text messages, P25 control channels, D-Star voice, dPMR voice, pretty much anything that's in the notes file that isn't directly related to trunked voice following or P25 PSK decoding?

Dongles are damn cheap - if there's any trunking in your area, just get one and tune it to a control channel...
That sounds like a good idea. I do have a SDRPlay RSP1 - which was the original. I havent used it much as it seems to suffer from interference. I do have a desktop PC with a built in PSU and a couple of laptops usually run on their chargers which may generate noise ? I might consider trying a dongle as they are quite cheap. Any recommendations or units to avoid ?
Thanks again for the reply
Paul

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
That sounds like a good idea. I do have a SDRPlay RSP1 - which was the original. I havent used it much as it seems to suffer from interference. I do have a desktop PC with a built in PSU and a couple of laptops usually run on their chargers which may generate noise ? I might consider trying a dongle as they are quite cheap. Any recommendations or units to avoid ?

Your RSP1 (original) will work quite well with DSDPlus Fastlane. I use mine everyday for various decoding duties.

slicerwizard

I do have a desktop PC with a built in PSU and a couple of laptops usually run on their chargers which may generate noise ? I might consider trying a dongle as they are quite cheap. Any recommendations or units to avoid ?
I've used various netbooks and laptops with SDRs over the years and haven't noticed much in the way of interference/noise issues. Probably doesn't hurt that I tend to monitor 400 MHz and up - much less noise to find there than down at HF/VHF.

Speaking of, if your monitoring tends to take you to 400 MHz and higher, the orange FlightAware Pro Stick dongles have very good sensitivity up there. These days, I tend to use them exclusively. IIRC, they cost about $25. Hm, Amazon has them for 25% off right now:

Status
Not open for further replies.