DSDPlus not finding audio input device, only outputs

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
Windows11
DSDPlus fastlane - latest release
SDRuno (and SDR Console) - latest releases
VB Audio - latest release
VB CableInput enabled in Windows Sound Playback settings (also tried making default)
VB CableOutput enabled/default in Windows Sounds Recording settings
VB CableInput and CableOutput both showing activity stats in VB Audio Contrlo Panel

DSDPlus is not finding audio input devices on startup, only audio output devices ?????

Any ideas how to fix it to find the audio input devices (the VB Cable Output device)? I'm at a loss. Screenshot included.

Thanks
Josh

Attachments

• dsdplus no audioinput.png
    dsdplus no audioinput.png
    501.6 KB · Views: 39

a417

have you tried feeding it with the software that the developers designed for it?

None of this virtual cabling nonsense.

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
Dsdplus window, input menu, choose your vb cable, , output menu,, choose your speakers,, control menu,,choose passive digital monitor

You'll want to unchecked listen in the sound mager recording tab for the vb cable

Last edited:

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
have you tried feeding it with the software that the developers designed for it?

None of this virtual cabling nonsense.
I'm not aware of a manner in which to decode certain digital signals without using virtual audio cables. It's a requirement for DSDPlus to my understanding.

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
Dsdplus window, input menu, choose your vb cable, , output menu,, choose your speakers,, control menu,,choose passive digital monitor

You'll want to unchecked listen in the sound mager recording tab for the vb cable
Hmmm, it gets more interesting, the inputs are greyed out in the DSDPlus window. Screenshot included.

Not sure why they are greyed out, as previously shown, they are active in Windows.

I had already configured "not to listen"

Attachments

• IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 29

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm, it gets more interesting, the inputs are greyed out in the DSDPlus window. Screenshot included.

Not sure why they are greyed out, as previously shown, they are active in Windows.

I had already configured "not to listen"
See is setting to passive monitor ungreys it

a417

DSDPlus fastlane - latest release
You stated you are using fastlane. Fastlane's devs created FMP24, FMPA, etc... If you use that flavour of DSD+, it would be most beneficial to you to use the program in the manner that it was designed.
I'm not aware of a manner in which to decode certain digital signals without using virtual audio cables. It's a requirement for DSDPlus to my understanding.
This would be the pitfall of referencing online resources for a free program (DSD+... that is found on the githubbings, etc) and then using a non-free program that is supported (more or less) here (DSD+ FastLane) by the dev's request. You've errantly conflated bits and pieces of two separate programs into one misinformed concept.

Use the program as it is intended, stop using giant bloated GUI SDR packages to feed it, and you'll be amazed.

It's all good in the hood.

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for setting me straight all - I have FMPP running without cables now. I just recently upgraded to FastLane from Free, nice! I'm happily uninstalling Virtual Cables and reading up on the FastLane documentation. I wish I had upgraded a long time ago, I didn't realize how much I was missing out on.

a417

Thanks for setting me straight all - I have FMPP running without cables now. I just recently upgraded to FastLane from Free, nice! I'm happily uninstalling Virtual Cables and reading up on the FastLane documentation. I wish I had upgraded a long time ago, I didn't realize how much I was missing out on.
Welcome to the Elightenment.

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
If you every want to pipe the audio to another program or speaker system, record multiple instances of dsdplus, you'll than be using vb cables, they're good to have in the toolbox