DSDPlus phantom RTL dongle

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukemester

Feed Provider
I recently upgraded the RAM in a pc running DSD+. It has a single SDR dongle installed. After re-assembly and boot up, two dongles were now listed. The first is shown as "in use". I had to change fmp24-cc.bat to use the "second" RTL SDR dongle. Does anyone know how to remove the phantom RTL dongle?

C:\DSDPlus>FMP24 -rc -i2 -o20001 -P0.0 -f460.1625 -g14
FMP24 2.76

Current working directory is "C:\DSDPlus"
SDR sampling rate = 2.400 MHz
Spectrum window width: 1024
FFT size: 32,768
Spectrum update rate: 1 Hz
Step size table: 5.000 6.250 7.500 12.500 15.000 25.000 100.000
DSD+ path is "C:\DSDPlus"
Primary frequency list: '.\FreqList.csv'
Secondary frequency list: '.\FreqList2.csv'
Database search distance: 99.90 miles
Base latitude/longitude: 40.3510 80.5443
Role is control/rest channel monitor;
Auto-starting control/rest channel following mode
Using RTL SDR device #2
Using DSD+ link ID 20001
PPM correction set to 0.0
Initial frequency set to 460.162500 MHz
RF gain: 14.0 dB
Optimizing FFT calculations... done.

Audio output device #1 = 'Speakers (Realtek High Definiti'

SDR device count = 2
SDR device #1 is in use
SDR device #2 serial string = '00000003'
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Tuner type=5 (R820T)
Serial string = '00000003'
Sampling rate set to 2.400000 MHz
Frequency correction factor = 0.0 PPM
Waiting for DSD+ link with link ID 20001
No frequency data files found
Trunk control/rest channel following active
Accepted DSD+ link on link ID 20001
Trunk control/rest channel following terminated
Tuning to 460.475000
Tuning to 460.162500
Tuning to 460.475000

Reconrider

Plug sdr device in
Open device manager
Locate the sdr
Right click and select “uninstall driver”
Uninstall it

DO NOT UNPLUG SDR

Run zadig.exe as admin
Options > list all devices
Select bulk interface 0
Install the winusb driver
Rebooting the computer sometimes helps but isn’t mandatory.
You shouldn’t have the phantom sdr after doing it. It happened to my buddy a few times and this solved it

lukemester

Feed Provider
Deleted the device driver and then ran zadig. Unfortunately, no bulk interface device is shown. Rebooted and the SDR showed back up in device manager and in Zadig

zadig.png

After rebooting it's back in zadig as RTL2838UHIDR

zadig2.png

Reconrider

Deleted the device driver and then ran zadig. Unfortunately, no bulk interface device is shown. Rebooted and the SDR showed back up in device manager and in Zadig

View attachment 117596

After rebooting it's back in zadig as RTL2838UHIDR

View attachment 117597
After you rebooted, it reinstalled the driver by itself. When you delete the driver in device manager. You must go to zadig and click options then list all devices. From where you'll see the bulk interface.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Although not written for DSD installations, this post on Zadig may help:

http://www.unitrunker.com/v2/fga-zadig.html
You should be able to see what drivers your SDR is actually using in Zadig.

Oh, that's a pretty useful post. I always wondered why there were multiple bulk-in interfaces for, never considered the IR remote capability on the dongle. I don't really use Windows often, aside from a VM from time to time, but that link may be the only place I've ever actually seen a correct method to install the Zadig driver. Even I thought for a long time it was supposed to go on the bulk-in interfaces, since that's what shows up by default and it still somehow kind of works if you do that.

lukemester

Feed Provider
After you rebooted, it reinstalled the driver by itself. When you delete the driver in device manager. You must go to zadig and click options then list all devices. From where you'll see the bulk interface.

I ran zadig again and verified that I had selected "List all devices" After deleting in device manager, there is no bulk in interface or RTL device listed. I also ran device manager with "show all devices" selected. I've found that this can sometimes show more devices. Only one RTL is listed.

One interesting thing. When I first setup the dongles I used RtlTool to give each a unique serial number. When the dongle is plugged in, RtlTool does not show a dongle that I can connect to. Also, The Airspy SDR# program shows one radio and works properly. I was playing a local FM station with it. It's just DSD+ that thinks there are two.

lukemester

Feed Provider
I found a solution. I wast thinking about what had changed on this computer. I had unplugged the cables, opened the cover, added more RAM and then closed it up, plugged everything back in and booted up. I couldn't imagine that adding RAM would cause any problems.

I realized that when I plugged everything back into the computer I had swapped the USB ports that have the keyboard and RTL dongle. I swapped them back and everything is back to normal. DSD+ now sees one radio. Zadig shows one dongle with the proper driver.

I had to edit the fmp24 bat file and set it back to the default of using the first radio (-i1).

It seems that swapping the USB port of the radio caused the problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Very strange.....

Status
Not open for further replies.