DSDPlus & TRX-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulmo101

Hi
Just getting started with both the TRX-1 and DSD and I would like to ask if anyone could tell me if I need a MONO or STEREO 3.5 cable from the IF out on my TRX-1, manual says its a stereo 3.5, to my line in on my PC which I think is also a stereo? Not sure if DSD could work with a stereo signal as some screen shots I`ve seen say something like "decoding mono signal"

Thanks for reading and I`m sure I will have more questions when I try to get DSD running with my radio.

Cheers

racingfan360

Hi, I dont think it will make a difference: it does work with a stereo cable ok. With the exception of the newly released dPMR support in DSD+ FL, I'm scratching my head on what additional features DSD+ will provide over a TRX1 natively though (?)

mrc333777

Premium Subscriber
interesting, i have a trx-1 does the volume have to be a certain level so it doesnt blow out the mic input of the computer?

Ubbe

You have a scope window in the DSD+ program where you look at the signal. Keep it between 50-100% of the screen hight of the scope and look so it doesn't clip top or bottom, that it could do if you have too much level from the scanner and then lower the gain on the computers level setting.

You probably have to run dsdtune.exe to get the correct settings in DSD+ as it would be different from a network port connection or a discriminator tap. I use a start icon with the different settings needed for each device that can feed DSD+

/Ubbe

paulmo101

Hi, I dont think it will make a difference: it does work with a stereo cable ok. With the exception of the newly released dPMR support in DSD+ FL, I'm scratching my head on what additional features DSD+ will provide over a TRX1 natively though (?)
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
The reason that I`m looking at DSD is that I`ve been told that it is a good way to identify the type of signal being received i.e if its encrypted it will tell you the type of encryption even if it cant decode it. Here is the reply to a question I posted on the Whistler facebook forum to which I posted a sound byte of a received signal which sounded a lot like Klingon and you could not make out any words:
"Thats enhanced encryption but it sounds like the hytera version , need to check the details on dsd"
I`m a newbie at digital stuff so I`m reading as much as I can find as well as asking questions on various forums.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
All the best

racingfan360

it is a good way to identify the type of signal being received i.e if its encrypted it will tell you the type of encryption even if it cant decode it
Yes, that is good advice: DSD+ will tell you much more about the signal type, albeit it won't enable you to listen to a great deal more than you'll get from your TRX1. Keep asking questions if you need help: lots of folks on here that like to help out. We all started out on this path at some stage !

paulmo101

Yes, that is good advice: DSD+ will tell you much more about the signal type, albeit it won't enable you to listen to a great deal more than you'll get from your TRX1. Keep asking questions if you need help: lots of folks on here that like to help out. We all started out on this path at some stage !
Again thanks for taking the time to reply - Just waiting for my cable to arrive and then I`m sure I will have a million questions LOL
Take care and have a great weekend

Ubbe

The reason that I`m looking at DSD is that I`ve been told that it is a good way to identify the type of signal being received i.e if its encrypted it will tell you the type of encryption even if it cant decode it.
I believe you have to get the fast lane DSD+ to be able to correctly see the encryption types. The 5 year old free version can't really distinguise between the different types of basic and expanded and enhanced types and are more or less a lottery what it will dsiplay.

/Ubbe

cg

Premium Subscriber
If you are sitting on the control channel with the scanner (such as during a search), the encryption type will not be shown with DSDPlus as that information is carried on the voice channel. If however, you set the scanner to scan the system and it tunes to a secure conversation, it then should show that information.
And yes, you need to use DSDPlus not DSD.

chris

paulmo101

Hi
I believe you have to get the fast lane DSD+ to be able to correctly see the encryption types. The 5 year old free version can't really distinguise between the different types of basic and expanded and enhanced types and are more or less a lottery what it will dsiplay.

/Ubbe
Thanks for the reply - I`ve loads to learn so all help is welcome
Cheers

paulmo101

If you are sitting on the control channel with the scanner (such as during a search), the encryption type will not be shown with DSDPlus as that information is carried on the voice channel. If however, you set the scanner to scan the system and it tunes to a secure conversation, it then should show that information.
And yes, you need to use DSDPlus not DSD.

chris
Hi Chris,
I think it was the dsdplus that I was looking at. I think thats the free version ?
Thanks for the info on the channels, digital is very new to me as is the TRX-1 so my brain is on overload at the moment and all help is very welcome.
Cheers
Paul

racingfan360

I think it was the dsdplus that I was looking at. I think thats the free version ?
There are essentially two 'similar' DSD programs and they often get confused:
1. DSD is the original open source decoder, which has since had multiple forks as people have built their own open source/closed source variants
2. DSDPlus (DSD+) is a closed source decoder. There is a free version which is now very out of date. Then ther is a paid version of this (only $25 for unlimited updates, of which there have been many). You need the paid fastlane version: DSDPlus Fast Lane Program – DSDPlus

paulmo101

There are essentially two 'similar' DSD programs and they often get confused:
1. DSD is the original open source decoder, which has since had multiple forks as people have built their own open source/closed source variants
2. DSDPlus (DSD+) is a closed source decoder. There is a free version which is now very out of date. Then ther is a paid version of this (only $25 for unlimited updates, of which there have been many). You need the paid fastlane version: DSDPlus Fast Lane Program – DSDPlus
Big thanks for your reply I shall go for the fastlane DSDplus as this is the up to date version. I`m just wanting on my cable arriving then I`ll have a go at getting things running.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.