Dsp 1.3: Reports Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Old4rd said:
BARELY a slight improvement in Genesee's CQPSK reception.

Just curious where you ran it... I spent about half of my time in Swartz Creek along 69, then got off 69 near the Red Cross building and it was a very noticeable improvement.

mlevin

I'm noticing decoding on distant C4FM trunked systems in the 800 MHz band. A few systems which I could barely pick up before are now coming in almost the same as my two local digital systems.

Can't wait to take it mobile tommorow.

VolCapt

No improvement for Monroe County using the stock antenna here at home just across the state line.

Will post a report from Monroe on Monday.

code6

Premium Subscriber
1.3 upgrade

Updated to 1.3 upgrade on both the 96 and 2096 and reception was improved on both,
but now on both radios digital transmissions drop out randamly and at differant times for each radio when they are on side by side, even if they are on the same frequency,one radio will drop out and the other one continues to decode digital transmissions.
This happens while monitering LAPD which is a very active agency,the frequent drop outs are very annoying.Also noticed this on the Orange County CA countywide TRS when on
digital signals,however those signals are improved when not dropping out.

M

mpg0515

code6 said:
Updated to 1.3 upgrade on both the 96 and 2096 and reception was improved on both,
but now on both radios digital transmissions drop out randamly and at differant times for each radio when they are on side by side, even if they are on the same frequency,one radio will drop out and the other one continues to decode digital transmissions.
This happens while monitering LAPD which is a very active agency,the frequent drop outs are very annoying.Also noticed this on the Orange County CA countywide TRS when on
digital signals,however those signals are improved when not dropping out.

This is the same thing that is happening to me on the CO DTRS. Really annoying I will be going back to 1.2.

code6

Premium Subscriber
mpg0515 said:
This is the same thing that is happening to me on the CO DTRS. Really annoying I will be going back to 1.2.

I've been trying to figure out how to go back to 1.2 with no success.
I found a way to go to 1.1 but would like to go back 1.2 instead.
There is 1.2 on the RS web site but I can't get it to work.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
code6 said:
I've been trying to figure out how to go back to 1.2 with no success.
I found a way to go to 1.1 but would like to go back 1.2 instead.
There is 1.2 on the RS web site but I can't get it to work.
Going back to 1.2 worked ok for me. You'll need to go through each step, to activate the upgrade button.

BTW, I then reloaded version 1.3.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
From the DSP 1.2 Update instructions (not provided in the 1.3 version):

"Reverting to the factory DSP firmware version
If for any reason you decide that you would like to revert to the original factory DSP version (F1.1), you
may do so by pressing 0, then PGM, then CLEAR, then ENTER during the “Welcome” screen. Note
that this will permanently remove the upgrade from the DSP flash memory. You can reload the upgrade
as many times as you like using the PRO96U12.EXE upgrade utility."

I added this to the PRO-96/2096; Wiki/DSP Upgrade section.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
code6 said:
been trying to revert to factory setting useing 0,pgm,clear,enter.does not work.

Did you try fmon's method?

fmon: "Going back to 1.2 worked ok for me. You'll need to go through each step, to activate the upgrade button."

code6

Premium Subscriber
DaveIN said:
Did you try fmon's method?

fmon: "Going back to 1.2 worked ok for me. You'll need to go through each step, to activate the upgrade button."

Yes can not get 1.2 to work either

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Are you doing the key sequence when the welcome screen is up?

scnnr

code6 said:
Yes can not get 1.2 to work either

Guy's

Here is the 1.2 DSP version. Just unzip it then double click on it and follow the same proceedures that you did for 1.3 version

Randy

EDIT:
I also have switched back and forth between version 1.2 & 1.3 a few times with no problems.

Last edited:

scnnr

rdale said:
Are you doing the key sequence when the welcome screen is up?
Rob, do you mean pressing the 3 key when the welcome screen comes up to see what version is in for the DSP? If so good point because that is the way that I checked mine after doing the upgrade.

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
DaveIN said:
From the DSP 1.2 Update instructions (not provided in the 1.3 version):

"Reverting to the factory DSP firmware version
If for any reason you decide that you would like to revert to the original factory DSP version (F1.1), you
may do so by pressing 0, then PGM, then CLEAR, then ENTER during the “Welcome” screen. Note
that this will permanently remove the upgrade from the DSP flash memory. You can reload the upgrade
as many times as you like using the PRO96U12.EXE upgrade utility."

I added this to the PRO-96/2096; Wiki/DSP Upgrade section.
Dave,

The pdf provided is the original instructions for upgrading from DSP-APP F1.1 to U1.2, and may still be required if one has never changed to U1.2 in the early Pro-96 scanners. Otherwise, I don't know why Radio Shack provided the pdf again.

EDIT: I don't think the Pro-96 can be reverted to F1.1 once U 1.3 has been installed. Of course, the 2096 never had a F1.1.

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
code6 said:
been trying to revert to factory setting useing 0,pgm,clear,enter.does not work.
0.pgm,enter is the correct procedure, however, you need to use the 1.2 exe program to revert back, unless you are reverting back from the first U1.2 upgrade from F1.1 which was in the early Pro-96.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
fmon said:
Dave,

The pdf provided is the original instructions for upgrading from DSP-APP F1.1 to U1.2, and may still be required if one has never changed to U1.2 in the early Pro-96 scanners. Otherwise, I don't know why Radio Shack provided the pdf again.

EDIT: I don't think the Pro-96 can be reverted to F1.1 once U 1.3 has been installed. Of course, the 2096 never had a F1.1.

Good point. I changed that in the 96/2096 Wiki.

I've used it for a couple of days and have been monitoring several systems, including two Wide-Pulse Astro (C4FM, but not P25 spec because they occupy a 25 kHz channel and not a 12.5 kHz channelspace) and one CQPSK system.

Audio on the CQPSK system sounds close to what I hear on my XTS5000. I haven't used the scanner to listen to it before (it's further away from me and I can only hear it in my office, which has an 800 MHz BDA), so I have no frame of comparison.

Now, I could never use the AGC on the C4FM systems. It produced raspy, distorted audio that sounded horrible (to me, at least). Listening to the C4FM systems now, seems like there is less distortion when using the AGC, like the gain was reduced. There seems to be less bass and fuller high-range audio, as well. Using the AGC seems to yield acceptible results. (My Pro-96 wish list: though I'd like to have an adjustment for gain and compression levels and audio equalization accessible in software. This kind of adjustment could be dangerous for the casual user.)

On dropouts - I only notice dropouts in known simulcast overlap areas or in places where the signal level is fairly low. If the GRE product engineers are reading these, can you incorporate a greater degree of hysteresis on the DSP decode? Something that will allow a lower DAQ without dropping out, at least providing the listener with an indication that they are in a marginal area? I suspect these drop-outs, if they were on analog systems, would either be multipath phase distortion fades from simulcast, excessive simulcast overlaps that cannot be corrected because of the number of overlaps or weak signals either due to an increase in noisefloor or just marginal coverage.

I haven't noticed any quantifyable changes in analog reception. I still can't decode DPL 506 through one particular system (although the equipment intended to use it decodes it fine, so it's a non-issue for me). No observable analog magic bullets. No observable changes in sensitivity.

xusmarine1979

I upgraded a few days ago and have noticed better audio for digital. The main system I have trouble with due to distance is Akron/Summit's TRS. Now it seems that it doesn't "drop" or break up as much as before.

Has anybody found out what areas the 1.3 upgrade covers?

Status
Not open for further replies.