DSP going to Full Time Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roach112683

Who can access those recordings? IMO, if the police insist that encryption is required for officer safety, then the citizens should insist on timely and unfettered access to the recordings when necessary to ensure accountability and transparency.
I'm not sure myself all I know is all Dispatch channels and phones are recorded.

chrishoerner

KC3KSJ
Premium Subscriber
Had anyone read this?

“In recent weeks we have been told that several agencies in Delaware have instituted internal investigations to try and determine how First State Update is able to report the news so quickly - Or understanding is that employees are undergoing scrutiny to determine if they have been leaking information to us. Just an FYI to all involved - Delaware is a small state - Everyone knows someone that knows what's going on. Most of what we get is from open sources. The attempts to shut down radio traffic and speech has not resulted in less information - We have in fact been overwhelmed by the number of leads provided by the public - Thank you to all that support FSU.”

from their Facebook page. Perhaps this is the reason.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
IDK if it the reason, but it may be a contributing factor. Police agencies want to be able to control the message to protect their organizations from scrutiny, and using encryption is one tool that supports that end. Perhaps it is time for legislation that would limit the implementation of encryption, and the scenarios and circumstances where information can be withheld from the public.

chrishoerner

KC3KSJ
Premium Subscriber
IDK if it the reason, but it may be a contributing factor. Police agencies want to be able to control the message to protect their organizations from scrutiny, and using encryption is one tool that supports that end. Perhaps it is time for legislation that would limit the implementation of encryption, and the scenarios and circumstances where information can be withheld from the public.

Didn’t exactly that happen in Maryland? I remember when md first was first implemented dnr talkgroups were encrypted, now no state agency dispatch channel is ever encrypted.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if it was legislation, or the realization of the Secretary that it was bad public policy to encrypt routine operations. The result was encryption was removed from the area dispatch tgs, but retained for the investigations and intel tgs. It struck a balance between security and the public's right to know what their officials are doing.

Roach112683

I heard Rehoboth Dispatch tell all units to activate encryption this morning. Anyone know if it is still on or was it temporary as I haven't been able to hear their radios as my agency doesn't have them programmed into our radios.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
How about Milton? I just purchased a home there, haven't taken possession yet but looking forward to setting things up including my ham shack. My local county where my primary residence is went dark back in January. Where does it end?

de784

Feed Provider
How about Milton? I just purchased a home there, haven't taken possession yet but looking forward to setting things up including my ham shack. My local county where my primary residence is went dark back in January. Where does it end?
Milton is dispatched by Suscom so no luck and Milton's town channel is encrypted

Roach112683

Fire is still in the clear, Dnrec is in the clear, Rehoboth is still in the clear, Dewey town channel is also which gets interesting in the summer
There is also DRBA (FERRY) Police in Leeds who are in clear. I have noticed Dewey was partially encrypted but has since gone back clear.

Also the Dewey Seasonal Channels are DMR but encrypted so those can't be heard. That is probably more interesting than the regular channels unless the full time officers need to be called in.

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
@trap5858 The DelDOT area yards and statewide talk groups are also a great source for updates on traffic events and accidents. The only activity that I set to avoid on my scanner in Kent County including law enforcement that is encrypted is DART because it seems like there’s a lot of paratransit chatter that can tie up a scanner.

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
Just an interesting observation to share is that Trooper 4 has been encrypted while communicating on both NCC and Kent EMS OPS channels in the past 12 hours that I've heard. I don't know if that use of encryption is at the the discretion of the trooper or not.

Septa3371CSX1

Just an interesting observation to share is that Trooper 4 has been encrypted while communicating on both NCC and Kent EMS OPS channels in the past 12 hours that I've heard. I don't know if that use of encryption is at the the discretion of the trooper or not.
I'm going to guess they forget to switch off the encryption when they went to talk on those channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.