• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DSP Kit

slowmover

*VIDEO* Italian DSP Kits

Fit this into or onto an old favorite. (You techs fill in what fumble-thumbs like me won’t deduce from an analysis of this unit; size & reliability).

Link is a good demonstration of effectiveness.

DSP is the 11-Meter game-changer for mobile use on-highway.

That one heads-up you catch about a problem out ahead from one driver talking to another from near the edge of your radio rigs range before they disappear.

Forewarned is forearmed.

My radio rig pays for itself 2-3X over every year in avoiding lost income. That’s after risk reductions.

One’s mind isn’t working overtime to fill in the inaudible bits of a transmission. Guesses. We don’t even realize we’re doing it.

My WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO CLEARSPEECH DSP SPEAKER is without question the most important piece of gear I own. It — and its sister device fitting between radio & speaker — are each about $225.

Mines got (8) years and 500m miles on it. Still operates the same as on the first day.

This kit might be a way for others at a lower cost.

The latest NRC radios (DSP) start at around $250. That’d be todays starting point. But doesn’t answer what to do with my otherwise superior-for-road-use (still new) GALAXY 959b if I was without external DSP. Maybe this kit fills that gap.

My adjustments to filtration level on the W-M speaker are over a limited range (call it 10-12 o’clock) and are not that which needs adjustment during the day despite changing conditions on the road (on AM pretty much exclusively).

Test what you hear while on the road!
Any voice you hear should be legible.

— A “quality” external speaker is Step One, its location is Step Two: behind and above left shoulder. Solve this first. Use UNIDEN BC20 as referential starting point.

DSP makes clear any voice from the hash surrounding it.

One doesn’t have miles or minutes when it counts.

Last edited:

slowmover

The newest version.
Not last year and earlier.

Link is of an install.

Retrofitting older radios.

slowmover

Ordered this yesterday after consultation with W-M and plan to have it fitted into my 500m mile Galaxy DX-99V2 purchased new from Clay Thompson in 2014.

IMG_4122.jpeg

IMG_4123.jpeg

Controls would be external (side of radio). Fewer outboard devices for big truck mobile install is guideline.

I like the RX audio of the DRX-901 extension speaker more than I like that in the ClrSpeech unit or a KES-5 or others. (12-14/hr days of listening).

— A fellow driver (same concerns) has heard my present rig (AT5555-N2) and now runs the same -901 but with the separate W-M module from his RCI. Best audio match.

Galaxy TX audio has legendary “punch”. An aid in garnering responses on crowded AM-19. (A variety of dynamic noise-canceling mics work well). Hated to sideline it.

This was the radio I added my also 500m mile W-M ClearSpeech DSP Speaker so long ago. I know how well DSP works with a Galaxy.

The main job to be gotten underway in a few months (service queue wait) is modification via DDS-VFO. (No more SSB drift plus other features). A different thread on that at some point.

Same circuit board as the DX-98VHP: 690011D (98 is -10D and lacking FM) per best source I found.

— I’m going to imagine price will be as if I’ve purchased this radio all over again per parts & services. But it’ll be what Ranger should have done starting several years ago to keep the Galaxy line viable.

I have a couple other AM/SSB Galaxy’s which may be modified in same fashion with one change or the other or both if this proves out.

Last edited:

slowmover

Forgot to add:

1). A CB typically has an amplified output for an extension speaker. The W-M DSP Speaker is itself amplified.

It can be hard at times to set-and-forget radio + speaker volume levels to be complementary. The ideal is generally to leave radio volume extra low so as to not drive the speaker into clipping.

This works well the vast majority of the time. Until one is working to chase distant weak signals and suddenly a local near to blows out your ears (ha!)

Addressed in this post via further links:

Post in thread 'SKIP Problems in Noise Abatement.'
SKIP Problems in Noise Abatement.

2). The outboard module and this internal module feature a Tone Control the integrated speaker does not. Tailoring sound to one’s preference with the higher audio quality of the DRX-901 is very attractive to me.

3). The aforementioned desire to streamline a big truck installation. No external DSP, nor an external VFO added. All internal.

— This is also (relatively) a low amp draw radio at 10A rated, simplifying its installation.

Last edited: