DSS? Tucson area

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruffzarf

Picked up a pretty long encrypted (P25) transmission yesterday in the Tucson area on 409.525. It lasted about 30 seconds, and I heard no reply. Haven't heard anything at all since. It was about 0710 local. Kind of reminded me of the morning radio checks by FPS. Looks like this is listed as a new DSS freq in Boston and at DFW.
Maybe here too? Sorry, can't read NAC's...

ecps92

Pretty common State Dept channel, however it has also been reported in use by other agencies over the years.
NAC and RID's would help, if anyone else cares to chime in from your neighborhood
Picked up a pretty long encrypted (P25) transmission yesterday in the Tucson area on 409.525. It lasted about 30 seconds, and I heard no reply. Haven't heard anything at all since. It was about 0710 local. Kind of reminded me of the morning radio checks by FPS. Looks like this is listed as a new DSS freq in Boston and at DFW.
Maybe here too? Sorry, can't read NAC's...

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I don't see it in the NTIA file anywhere (not terribly surprising). Any chance it was an image? What did you hear it with?

ruffzarf

Not an image. It was a strong signal, showed ENC-P25 on my old Bearcat 785D. I search the fed bands a lot, and I've never heard anything come up on this before. Just an FYI, I also pick up occasional ENC transmissions on 417.500, which I suspect is another DEA simplex freq here along the border. If someone else around Tucson can plug that in and check the NAC on that...

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
In the unclassified NTIA list, 417.5 is allocated to the Department of the Interior nationally, along with 408.5 (though they are not mentioned as being paired). They are both also allocated to the TVA (in TN).

ecps92

Nice to see the ole DEA's still active using the original pairings vs the newer NTIA format with 9 mhz off-sets
Not an image. It was a strong signal, showed ENC-P25 on my old Bearcat 785D. I search the fed bands a lot, and I've never heard anything come up on this before. Just an FYI, I also pick up occasional ENC transmissions on 417.500, which I suspect is another DEA simplex freq here along the border. If someone else around Tucson can plug that in and check the NAC on that...

ruffzarf

It's funny you should mention 408.500, because I get transmissions on that frequency also. At first I thought for sure they would be connected, however, after some considerable traffic analysis, I found that the 417.5 always shows P25 ENC, with usually a pretty strong signal, while the traffic on 408.5 is never at the same time, and sounds weaker, almost like an input, and is more like the older digital sound. 408.5 also never shows ENC. Maybe someone else in the Tucson area knows the scoop.

ecps92

IF that is the Waynesboro - it does mention Paired
*PRD,M417.5000,TVA 070065,RPT IN
also it might be linked or tied to low band on 40.5700

but we digress and are off-topic
In the unclassified NTIA list, 417.5 is allocated to the Department of the Interior nationally, along with 408.5 (though they are not mentioned as being paired). They are both also allocated to the TVA (in TN).

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
IF that is the Waynesboro - it does mention Paired
*PRD,M417.5000,TVA 070065,RPT IN
also it might be linked or tied to low band on 40.5700

but we digress and are off-topic
Right – that's the Tennessee Valley Authority stuff. (I guess I bungled the pairing search :(. One of these days, I'll get around to finishing a parser for that NTIA mess.)

Hooligan

In the Las Vegas area, one long-time, widely-reported DSS simplex/repeater channel is an output frequency for a federal government trunked land mobile radio system.

If you're in Tucson, you're close to David-Monthan AFB. The use could be associated with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.