DSS with 179.9 PL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE7JFF

Today while I was on the way to work today, my scanner stopped on the frequency for the Diplomatic Security Service (409.625) but instead of the standard PL, the PL search came up with 179.9.

The conversation was in the clear and also pretty short:

First Person: "We picked up 3 people

Second Person: "OK"

Then there was a Touch Tone sound of the pound key and that was it.

ecps92

Interesting.
Boston went P25 [409.5250] awhile ago, but not with a 9mhz Off-set

What is the Regular Tone being used?

Today while I was on the way to work today, my scanner stopped on the frequency for the Diplomatic Security Service (409.625) but instead of the standard PL, the PL search came up with 179.9.

The conversation was in the clear and also pretty short:

First Person: "We picked up 3 people

Second Person: "OK"

Then there was a Touch Tone sound of the pound key and that was it.

Last edited:

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Are you saying the feds used a true standard for interoperability and the world hasn't come to an end? :D

rankin39

I've had recent experience hearing a few business transmissions on 418.625 with an oddball PL tone. At first I thought the DEA was pulling a fast one, but then I also received railroad transmissions in the 149 MHz. band. Both the Uniden 996 and the GRE 600 do have these peculiar images at various points, and I haven't yet been able to figure out the mathematical relationship between the images and actual frequencies of transmission. I'm betting this wasn't DSS.

Bob, WoNXN

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
In the SF Bay Area they routinely run P25 on two repeaters but one of them, on the common DSS channel, periodically kerchunks in analog hinting to it supporting analog. It's CSQ on the output.

KE7JFF

Just to add more oddity to this, I was at a traffic light when again the scanner stopped at DSS 1 but this time with a PL of 100.0 and it was local NOAA WX audio crystal clear. The car in front of me was a F150 with an small NMO antenna on the roof with GSA plates; conquincidence? I would like to lean NOT.

ecps92

Does you local NWS run an RF Link to the Remote TX Site?
Search the 406-420s and I'll be you find one.

Sounds like frequency hetrodyne occured where the NWS came thru.

Just to add more oddity to this, I was at a traffic light when again the scanner stopped at DSS 1 but this time with a PL of 100.0 and it was local NOAA WX audio crystal clear. The car in front of me was a F150 with an small NMO antenna on the roof with GSA plates; conquincidence? I would like to lean NOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.